Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] WBA Safe Standing proposal turned down...

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
So what you are basically saying is that if I don't want to stand for 90 minutes and sing (I know you haven't mentioned this, but others clearly have on other posts), then I am not allowed to have a behind the goal view, a view I have enjoyed since first watching The Albion in the late 60s.

Pretty much yes, though you have the south which has a decent view. Why is the concept so outrageous for people to have a designated area of the stadium for the young (and not so young) and boisterous? It's like you just want to take offence to the exclusion when I'm sure it wouldn't be the end of the world for you to move to an area which has a view most people would prefer.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Pretty much yes, though you have the south which has a decent view. Why is the concept so outrageous for people to have a designated area of the stadium for the young (and not so young) and boisterous? It's like you just want to take offence to the exclusion when I'm sure it wouldn't be the end of the world for you to move to an area which has a view most people would prefer.

So you are seriously suggesting segregation by age, unbelievable. What next, auditions to make sure people can sing and know all the words to "stand up if you hate Palace" ???

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
I take all the points on board and they are clearly very keenly and earnestly held. But I would argue that NSC are not the majority (although I acknowledge that on here a vote would be a close run thing). Indeed there must be a place for an argument that encompasses the view that a change for a few, however well intentioned does not justify an unsightly and incongruous change to stadium look and dynamics. I love our stadium as it is and I think that is a view that is held by many.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
What isn't true, that I like watching g the game from behind the goal or first started watching The Albion in the late 60s? Please elaborate...

Well I'm sure you wouldnt make up being behind the goal nor watching the Albion since the 60s. But its not really the same view is it, did you manage at Withdean ok?

In the 60s did you used to stand or just now that its 40-50 years on it's more of a necessity (no offence I'm not saying you are old) to sit as opposed to standing/sitting intermittently or safely? There's a whole bunch of customers out there, not just people of an older generation who want/need to sit down now and keep the view theyt have álways' had

Not one size fits all hey

I assume your seat isnt behind JasetheAce who seem to want his cake and eat it at the same time

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
So you are seriously suggesting segregation by age, unbelievable. What next, auditions to make sure people can sing and know all the words to "stand up if you hate Palace" ???

No, you're right. It's a ridiculous suggestion that clubs up and down the country have not been doing.

It seems to me that you know very well you probably shouldn't be where you are, but love the defiance and have had altercations in the past because of it.

I'm also curious as to where you 'sat' in the Goldstone North, as the other poster was alluding to.

kennyb

May 23, 2004
If you're not inclined to stand then you probably shouldn't be in the North which is indicative of the demographic problem in our 'home end'. No, the Amex is NOT safe standing. It is standing amongst seating which is dangerous.

The only reason it is standing amongst seating as you put it is simply because those fans take it on themselves to stand without asking others its simply not true that our supporters in NS Ask others for their permission. There is a reason why all seating was brought in next everyone will be asking if they can down their pints on the terraces. I fully support the club and the policy. Every game people constantly stand up in front of me without giving any thought to whether i can see or not forcing me to stand when im in position where i cant stand for long time its pure selfish behaviour.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
The only reason it is standing amongst seating as you put it is simply because those fans take it on themselves to stand without asking others its simply not true that our supporters in NS Ask others for their permission. There is a reason why all seating was brought in next everyone will be asking if they can down their pints on the terraces. I fully support the club and the policy. Every game people constantly stand up in front of me without giving any thought to whether i can see or not forcing me to stand when im in position where i cant stand for long time its pure selfish behaviour.

This has been done to death

Are you saying all seating was brought in top stop peoples views being blocked?

Do you think if there was a safe area where people that wanted to stand would be beneficial for you? It would wouldnt it? And them

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

Sounds to me like we need safe-standing so this kind of stuff won't happen eh?

I'd like to know this legitimate reason you think all-seater stadiums were brought in, surely you do not mean Mrs Thatcher and the bogus taylor report?

Also, the club's 'policy' is to turn a blind eye to those standing in the North, is that what you are supporting? I'm very confused.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
The club have an open mind - both curtailed by legislation - on both safe standing and the introduction of drinking in your seats.

Would love to know why all seaters were introduced. If you believe it was Hillsborough, you are sadly misguided.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The club have an open mind - both curtailed by legislation - on both safe standing and the introduction of drinking in your seats.

Would love to know why all seaters were introduced. If you believe it was Hillsborough, you are sadly misguided.

Enlighten us uneducated please. Why were all seater stadiums introduced?

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
As far as I'm concerned safe standing is a load of old bollocks because it's always been pretty dam safe.How many people have died at football matches in super packed stadiums in 140 odd years?No point including hillsborough and and Bradford as they were different issues and those issues won't happen in modern stadiums will they?
Stadiums have moved on like in Germany and safe standing or whatever they want to call it should happen as there's no reason why it shouldn't be abled go happen.

Load of bollocks.....

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I heard from the "horses mouth" (well someone who would know) is that the authorities like the introduction of all-seater stadium because it is much easier to identify people from the CCTV.

..working on the basis that people are sitting down in their allocated seat.

They are obviously quite a good way of distributing people "safely" around a stand rather than a terrace.

However the world has moved on and I presume any "safe standing" would allocate somebody a place to stand or is it simply stand where you like ?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Thanks to the clueless people in government who flatly refused to believe what really happened at Hillsborough (some are still in denial) - and wrote their own narrative. Football had been a pariah to the them before; this was their perfect excuse to introduce an unnecessary level of social control.

And it's still unnecessary.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I heard from the "horses mouth" (well someone who would know) is that the authorities like the introduction of all-seater stadium because it is much easier to identify people from the CCTV.

..working on the basis that people are sitting down in their allocated seat.

They are obviously quite a good way of distributing people "safely" around a stand rather than a terrace.

However the world has moved on and I presume any "safe standing" would allocate somebody a place to stand or is it simply stand where you like ?
"Control" is the justification in the Taylor report, backed by support from a majority of fans for more seating. Of course, when I say fans I mean registered members of the Football Supporters Association. Safe standing is about having your own allocated space.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Thanks to the clueless people in government who flatly refused to believe what really happened at Hillsborough (some are still in denial) - and wrote their own narrative. Football had been a pariah to the them before; this was their perfect excuse to introduce an unnecessary level of social control.

And it's still unnecessary.

So nothing to do with the decades of hooliganism that precluded that fatal day that gave the powers that be, who were quite rightly hacked off with the neanderthal's following football the excuse they had been looking for.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
So what if someone’s mates are standing in my space? Or a very tall person is standing in front of a shorty? Or if I like to sit for part of the match but the person in front of me doesn’t?

Anyway, I get back ache after 30 minutes of standing so had to get to the Goldstone early to nab a space where I could lean back on a stanchion

Ps old git alert

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here