Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] **LVCC Division One, Sussex v Somerset at Hove, Sep 14-17, 2015**

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
I reckon Somerset will get to 400 and declare. At that point they'll have maximum bonus points and they can't lose. They might as well then have a bowl and see what happens. If we're not mentally right and have already assumed it's going to be a draw then with our weak batting line up if they could get us 50-5 by, say 16.50hrs Somerset could pull of an unlikely win.

This is some innings by Banger, they're pacing it just right and giving themselves a glimmer of a glimmer of a chance at the end. Hampshire's hopes have diminished vs Yorkshire too at 176/3, partnership now 139.
Berty23 is right, Somerset have to be careful re the unsporting conduct provisions for declarations intended to deny the opposition the chance to collect bonus points, so expect them to carry on some way past 400.

On another subject you mentioned Nick, perhaps there should be some provision to penalise sides where there is a draw following forfeiture of innings? If the Hants / Yorkshire tie ends up fading into a drea with both sides a long way from victory, why should they get the safety net of 5 points for a draw when they were trying to contrive a result that only one side would truly benefit from? Just saying like...

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Berty23 is right, Somerset have to be careful re the unsporting conduct provisions for declarations intended to deny the opposition the chance to collect bonus points, so expect them to carry on some way past 400.

On another subject you mentioned Nick, perhaps there should be some provision to penalise sides where there is a draw following forfeiture of innings? If the Hants / Yorkshire tie ends up fading into a drea with both sides a long way from victory, why should they get the safety net of 5 points for a draw when they were trying to contrive a result that only one side would truly benefit from? Just saying like...

I think they lose all bonus points, so 5 points for the draw seems fair enough to me.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

I need to refresh my memory of the regulations surrounding bonus points for reduced matches, but I thought there was a reduced number of points for a draw where only 2 innings were possible. In this case, Yorks and Hants have bypassed this by dint of Yorks 79-4 in the 1st innings.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
I think they lose all bonus points, so 5 points for the draw seems fair enough to me.

Complicated this cricket malarkey isn't it? Poor old brain hurts. May have to go and get interested in U.S. Sports where a draw is not allowed and the league tables are straightforward wins v losses. Of course the only drawback being they're not real sports and they take about 4 days to complete about 5 minutes of actual play....

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Amazingly our own Twitter feed is confused. [MENTION=468]somerset[/MENTION]CCC: Very interesting here at Hove with a debate going on as to whether Somerset will be allowed to declare at 400, denying Sussex bowling points

After various tweets we will not declare.

Let's hope hants lose so we are almost there and focus on bhafc.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

With the rules as they stand and our batting line-up being extremely weak I believe that Somerset have a case for genuinely believing they could bowl us out for under a hundred and knock off the runs before the close.

Right now it would genuinely not surprise me if they declared and in an hours time we were 50-5 and teetering.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Hampshire commentators moaning that Somerset are batting on........*****.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
With the rules as they stand and our batting line-up being extremely weak I believe that Somerset have a case for genuinely believing they could bowl us out for under a hundred and knock off the runs before the close.

Right now it would genuinely not surprise me if they declared and in an hours time we were 50-5 and teetering.

I was thinking that!!!! Far from generous consideration to the spirit of the game, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the thinking, get a hundred lead and stick us in! :lolol:

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)

They'll bat nearly the full 110 overs to avoid the risk of penalties I think...

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
yorkshire have lost a wicket recently - 236-4 - needing another 67 runs to win.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Still, a pleasing turnaround from 37/3. It would be splendid if Yorks could knock these runs off now as I think we'd be safe with a draw in Leeds next week.

Yep. Would like to have a couple of good overs sharpish just to ease their progress.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yep. Would like to have a couple of good overs sharpish just to ease their progress.

Don't worry. According to Bet365, Yorks are 1/33 to win this match. LIKE.

And anyway, they've spanked 13 off the ten valid deliveries.

4/263

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Still, a pleasing turnaround from 37/3. It would be splendid if Yorks could knock these runs off now as I think we'd be safe with a draw in Leeds next week.

Well, only 44 runs needed with lots of over left.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here