Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Defoe 130K a week

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What a waste of money!!

value for money will be determined if he scores goals that entertain and keep them going in the League.

people need to realise, exageration and duff news aside, these are the sort of figures for the Premier League now. any club could afford half a squad of players on 6 figures a week.

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
What? The one that you won by CHEATING?

It doesnt say that on the trophy mate:thumbsup:

chill out ffs..farking hell not only did I and hundreds of ours sign your petition at our gaff when the Goldstone was sold from under your feet, I also did the same on here in 2007 when you couldn't garner 30 signatures for your new ground petition before it eventually got to 3000 .

Could I imagine any of you lot doing the same for us....no chance

Anyway this isnt a popularity contest so gofeckyourself :p

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Age is largely irrelevant here as Defoe is still one of the best finishers in the business and all but guarantees goals.

Not a bad piece of business.

Lost that extra second of speed now. Should give Dunk the runaround unless we can stop the supply.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
It doesnt say that on the trophy mate:thumbsup:

chill out ffs..farking hell not only did I and hundreds of ours sign your petition at our gaff when the Goldstone was sold from under your feet, I also did the same on here in 2007 when you couldn't garner 30 signatures for your new ground petition before it eventually got to 3000 .

Could I imagine any of you lot doing the same for us....no chance

Anyway this isnt a popularity contest so gofeckyourself :p

Well you don't know us very well then!

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Stop paying these ridiculous amounts to players and reduce the ticket / food and merchandise prices etc ...... oooops sorry I was dreaming .

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
It might seem like a lot of money for an old player, but he proved at Sunderland this year that he can be the difference between relegation and relegation, but with a higher wage bill.

You cannot pin this on him, he was one of only a couple of players who stayed professional this year. Still a proven striker and given what will happen this transfer window the numbers talked about on here is no surprise.

Also to those asking how they can afford this with such a small ground, in the PL ticket sales are all but irrelevant compared to the other income. Finishing mid table however allows you to comfortably sign players on 100k a week

grawhite

Jul 6, 2011
Brighton
Quality signing, for his age Defoe has kept himself in great shape. Even if the wages were 100k+ a week, it's not gonna break the bank if it keeps Bournemouth up next year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Bloody good signing for them although the money involved is completely mental.

WonderingSoton

Dec 3, 2014
Started his career with Bournemouth didn't he? Seems fitting to end it there as well.

The issue here isn't paying one free transfer player a big wage. The outlay over the course of the deal won't be much different to a normal transfer fee signing of say 10m on say 50k a week.

Rather, the issue for Bournemouth will be managing this one big earner together with the rest of their squad. Because paying one person these wages is one thing, controlling other players who will inevitably come knocking on the door asking for big wages in parity is the real issue. Because then the wage bill starts spiraling.

That'll be a test of Howe's man management.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Don't like all the bleating about Bournemouth's success.
For Pete's sake, they have done very well and like us were almost ' gonners' a few years back.
Let's face it, unless we make some very good signings, the reality of staying in the Prem will be a hard battle, as it is for many promoted clubs.
I would love us to emulate Bournemouth's progress; finishing 9th is very creditable by any standards of measurement.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Thought i heard on Sky Sports news that Defoe was on 65k a week. Crazy money. 3 times the average yearly salary. Something about player wages doesn't sit right with me. Especially when the real hero's are the nurses, fireman, police, teachers who all generally get a pittance and have wage caps.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
It's dead money though is the issue really, won't see a penny of it back. And that's if Defoe is lucky enough not to get a major injury at his age...

It is a gamble for sure although I wouldn't have turned down Defoe here for a season

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here