Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Well, lets hope if that happens a series of clean sheets and penalty saves doesn't keep a side in the Premier League at our expense.

A lot of the talk on here regarding he can be replaced etc. I distinctly remember in the summer of 2011 with a certain striker similar things being said - who proved actually that he couldn't be replaced...

Spot on. Scarily similar situation

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Some BHA fans are reacting as if Stockdale is irreplaceable. He isn't.
We will find an equally competent keeper and hopefully, someone who can minimise critical errors, such as this season against Reading ( a ) (Newcastle ( a ) Preston ( h ) Villa ( h ) Brentford ( a ) Ipswich ( h ) Forest ( a ) and Villa ( a ) Some were more costly than others but most helped contribute to a loss of points. These were still too many in a season of great accomplishment, when he redeemed himself with three good and vital penalty saves and overall, a very solid season.
He himself, thinks he is better than he is. He needs to work on concentration and athleticism, as he spends the next few months warming the bench of another PL club, before the inevitable loan deal, that will follow.

So where do you find a keeper that doesn't make mistakes! They all do.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Some BHA fans are reacting as if Stockdale is irreplaceable. He isn't.
We will find an equally competent keeper and hopefully, someone who can minimise critical errors, such as this season against Reading ( a ) (Newcastle ( a ) Preston ( h ) Villa ( h ) Brentford ( a ) Ipswich ( h ) Forest ( a ) and Villa ( a ) Some were more costly than others but most helped contribute to a loss of points. These were still too many in a season of great accomplishment, when he redeemed himself with three good and vital penalty saves and overall, a very solid season.
He himself, thinks he is better than he is. He needs to work on concentration and athleticism, as he spends the next few months warming the bench of another PL club, before the inevitable loan deal, that will follow.

I very much think we are in a small minority here, but I absolutely agree with what you say. In what was ultimately a very successful season, people are happy to laud the great saves that he did make, but conveniently forget all of the occasions costly errors were made, of which there were plenty.

No player is irreplacable, it's just a matter of finding the right replacement. Stockdale is a good goalkeeper yes, but certainly not a great one in my opinion.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Well, lets hope if that happens a series of clean sheets and penalty saves doesn't keep a side in the Premier League at our expense.

A lot of the talk on here regarding he can be replaced etc. I distinctly remember in the summer of 2011 with a certain striker similar things being said - who proved actually that he couldn't be replaced...

Strikers are far harder to replace than keepers. If Stockdale goes so what. He can be easily replaced.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Strikers are far harder to replace than keepers. If Stockdale goes so what. He can be easily replaced.

Soccer special suggesting a few clubs could be looking for keepers in the summer, City, Utd, Arsenal, Everton, Stoke, West Brom, Palace, Leicester....

Could be a tough summer to pick up a decent keeper.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I very much think we are in a small minority here, but I absolutely agree with what you say. In what was ultimately a very successful season, people are happy to laud the great saves that he did make, but conveniently forget all of the occasions costly errors were made, of which there were plenty.

No player is irreplacable, it's just a matter of finding the right replacement. Stockdale is a good goalkeeper yes, but certainly not a great one in my opinion.

Well I'm with you. Good keeper ? Yes. Good ambassador and a credit to the club ? Absolutely. Would be a loss ? Yes. Irreplaceable ? No.

Some of the season's best moments involved him and his overall record with us is excellent. The way he's conducted himself has been mostly exemplary (Shoreham in particular). We'll certainly miss his distribution (one of the facebook groups was bigging up Al Habsi - that would be a downgrade IMHO) but overall I'd expect the recruitment bods to have a potential upgrade or two lined up in case he ultimately goes elsewhere. Also agree with one or two of the comments about his fitness.....he seems to fluctuate a bit on the weight front, can look quite bulky sometimes.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

The only difference being (and this is just a hunch) that in that summer the ball was very much in our court - we could have matched other offers for Murray's but decided instead to spunk it all on a massive transfer fee and wages for CMS. Whereas you get the impression that we are probably prepared to make Stockdale a very competitive offer, and are just waiting on him.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Soccer special suggesting a few clubs could be looking for keepers in the summer, City, Utd, Arsenal, Everton, Stoke, West Brom, Palace, Leicester....

Could be a tough summer to pick up a decent keeper.

Why? They may be getting rid of experienced keepers or they have come to the end of their contracts too. That means City, Arsenal, Everton, Stoke, West Brom, Palace and Leicester will have keepers that are looking for a job.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Let's not turn Stockdale in to the messiah of goal keepers ffs, you know like some on here have Barnes down as a top premier league striker :lolol:

Sure, but there were a lot of clueless people on here who had Barnes as a hopeless league 1 striker.

Quite clearly he is good enough for the PL. World beater, I really don't think so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Let's not turn Stockdale in to the messiah of goal keepers ffs, you know like some on here have Barnes down as a top premier league striker :lolol:

Can see this. TBH, in both camps on this. He is mentally strong, a great ambassador and undoubtedly gained us points against Fulham, SW and Brentford to mention three. But he probably cost us two against PNE at home (not helped by Bruno, admittedly), had a real slice of luck against Newcastle, and conceded a joke against Forest that finished any chance of an equaliser, not to mention the Villa equaliser. He is not mistake free and will be pressured more next season.

Brian Clough reckoned a good keeper is worth 20 points; this is a big deal one way or the other.

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Like the haters who can't wait for him to make an error and wet themselves when he does. Yes he makes mistakes but so does every player. We would never be able to afford a keeper who makes zero mistakes. I would say Dunk made more mistakes than Stockdale this season.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I honestly disagree with you massively here. Clough, Ferguson, Shankley, the great managers always started with a top keeper. A save is worth every much as a goal. The confidence they give the team in going forward is massive. He might need to be replaced, and we may find as good or better, but I can assure you it won't be easy, far from it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The only difference being (and this is just a hunch) that in that summer the ball was very much in our court - we could have matched other offers for Murray's but decided instead to spunk it all on a massive transfer fee and wages for CMS. Whereas you get the impression that we are probably prepared to make Stockdale a very competitive offer, and are just waiting on him.

Agree with this. Say the club offered a pay rise from £15,000pw to £42,000pw, with a 7-figure re-signing on fee, and Stockdale still goes elsewhere, then the club have done everything right.

If West Ham, Palace, Leeds or Chelsea offer more, that's their risk.

The club have to be sensible, there's more than a possibility of Championship football for 2018/19, and they must budget accordingly with parachute monies still giving a big fall in income.

Stockdale is the best keeper we've had in decades, but he's no De Gea. If he opts to leave, I'm sure the club already had a long list of classy replacements drawn up ages ago and I have faith in their process to get the right keeper.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That is just ridiculous. Other than the red card, I can't think of a single mistake Dunk has made.

Off the top of my head there were a few that resulted in goals. At least the goal at Villa which went under his foot, the Newcastle winner, I think it was, where the played pulled away from him but as CH says we win as a team and lose as a team.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Off the top of my head there were a few that resulted in goals. At least the goal at Villa which went under his foot, the Newcastle winner, I think it was, where the played pulled away from him but as CH says we win as a team and lose as a team.

Both Dunk and Stockdale would definitely have made quite a few errors this season, but most cannot be recalled as they didn't result in goals conceded. But that would be out of countless hundreds of decisions made and actions taken. Both had outstanding seasons and were pivotal to our best season in almost 40 years.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Like the haters who can't wait for him to make an error and wet themselves when he does. Yes he makes mistakes but so does every player. We would never be able to afford a keeper who makes zero mistakes. I would say Dunk made more mistakes than Stockdale this season.

I'd agree with that and even those goalies we can't afford make mistakes ..watch a goalie week in week out you are going to notice his errors...those who you don't see that often you will probably only be aware of one or two mistakes ..doesn't mean more don't happen

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here