Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale in the bottom 3

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
I always read it that Stockdale is a decent bloke but far from the sharpest tool in the box. The taking offence at morons on Twitter. The having to big himself up all the time with retweets etc. He's always come across as a lovely guy but insecure and easily influenced. It makes me less surprised about some of the seriously odd decisions he's made.

Although the Leon Knight thing is that leftfield that I wouldn't be surprised to find out that it was all a wind up and Stockdale has WHOOSHED us completely.

Met him a few times, lovely guy but as you said, he didn't come across as the sharpest tool in the shed.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Blues fan I know told me that at the start of the season they couldn't believe we released him. Now they all know why.

Garry monk bringing the best out of that squad though.

We didn't release him. We offered him a contract extension, but he turned it down.

The Upper Library

May 23, 2013
Just really sad how things have turned out for him. I like to remember him as being part of an unbelievable season for our club.
On a personal note my son wrote to him at the beginning of last season asking for some goalkeeping tips - a week later he received a really nice (handwritten) letter through the post with some great advice. Meant so much to my son (and me).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I think it's a shame he is where he is. I can only think he thought we'd bring in another first team goalie and that he'd not be first choice, so went elsewhere. I wish him well for all he did for us. Remember all those penalty saves?

The double save against Sheffield Wednesday & his save at Fulham were outstanding.

I think he knew Ben Roberts was keen on bringing Maty Ryan in, and he wanted regular football, having spent years on Fulham's bench, prior to joining us.

The double save against Sheffield Wednesday & his save at Fulham were outstanding.

I think he knew Ben Roberts was keen on bringing Maty Ryan in, and he wanted regular football, having spent years on Fulham's bench, prior to joining us.

I totally agree. I think he knew he was going to be second choice this season, so i can't blame him for leaving. He's a top lad, and some of those saves he did last season are the very reason we are all enjoying PL football this season.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I don't get why people are now slating him! He was an integral part of our promotion winning side with some very important saves, and was a big part of the whole #together especially after the Shoreham disaster.

I have nothing but praise for him for what he did for us and the Community at large. I hope it works out for him, good luck fella!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
He would hardly have been washed up after a year though had he signed, would he. He's only 31, so in keeper terms he still has a good few seasons in him yet, regardless. He'd still have had options in a years time. If he'd gone to Leeds then I'd have understood it to an extent, but Birmingham ? They're a shambles of a club who stayed up by the skin of their teeth on the last day (but he'd have us believe it was seeing the "pashun" of their fans on that last day that persuaded him - yeah, alright Dave).

He'll obviously have had his reasons. Maybe he felt us offering him a year was a bit of an insult. Maybe his salad-dodging tendencies was a factor for the club in only offering him that deal. There's probably more to it than we know, but at least publically he left the club on amicable terms, even if privately that wasn't quite the case.

In terms of a career move, he's just blown his own bollocks off. But I don't wish him any ills. If he feels the 2nd division is more his level then that's up to him. I'd rather he'd stayed, but he's easily replaceable.
Agree with this. Think you were underestimating how good he was for us. Brilliant keeper who in my books is probably the best keeper we've had at the time.

Didn't think he was easily replaceable but your prediction was right on that one.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Apparently told he can find another club. Hasn't impressed the locals

I think it's more to do with wages. Most of the Brum fans I saw on Twitter were positive. Harry was known for offering big contracts.
I feel sorry for Stockdale as he thought he was doing right by his family. He didn't harm Brighton, so those who have their knives out, can put them away.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Agree with this. Think you were underestimating how good he was for us. Brilliant keeper who in my books is probably the best keeper we've had at the time.

Didn't think he was easily replaceable but your prediction was right on that one.

He was great for us, he really was. And as I said at the time, I'd have definitely preferred him to have stayed, as he had such a good understanding with the two CB's in front of him - I'd have preferred that not to have been disrupted going into the PL. And if you'd asked me what I thought of his replacement after the first couple of games, well....

Ryan's been a brilliant replacement though. I'll still never understand Dave binning us off to go and scuffle around at the arse-end of the 2nd division with a shambolic basket-case club like Brum, but I suppose he has his reasons. With Hart out of the picture, he could even have had a punt at being on the fringes of the England squad. Looks like he followed his wallet instead of his career, but thats his right I suppose. He's not been missed.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
We were disappointed he didn't stay. No need to slate him.

I'll still never understand Dave binning us off to go and scuffle around at the arse-end of the 2nd division with a shambolic basket-case club like Brum, but I suppose he has his reasons

We know this now, don't we?

Albion offered a one-year contract and no guarantee of first-team place.

Birmingham offer a three-year contract - AND more money.

He spoke a lot about doing what's right for his family, and he did, I think?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Good luck to the guy , no beef with him

Worked out for the best for us , think he would of got embarrassed in the prem.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We were disappointed he didn't stay. No need to slate him.

We know this now, don't we?

Albion offered a one-year contract and no guarantee of first-team place.

Birmingham offer a three-year contract - AND more money.

He spoke a lot about doing what's right for his family, and he did, I think?

As I said at the time, even if we were only offering a year, there's no way he'd have been washed up by the end of it. He'd have either been retained again if he'd performed, or he'd find another club without much trouble. Bit of a pity if he didn't fancy staying and fighting for the shirt IMO, nobody is ever assured their place in a team, least of all a goalie.

It was obviously a purely financial decision, I expect he got hefty signing on bonus up there, so of course he's within his rights to chase the money. But in terms of a career move, if was a real dud.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Home Grown Player...

Krul and Maenpaa may be off...

SING him up !

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills