Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
A small subsidiary office to deal with some of the 10% of their business which is with the EU. Hardly even worthy of being a news item, really. Just a bit of common sense by Lloyds really.

10% of Lloyds business hardly even worth a news item? You really are deluded, thin end of the wedge sir, good luck to you, you are gonna need it!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Not really. You can't blame individual sectors for fighting their corner, don't forget about us etc.

I would think following the money/investment is a better indicator.

Probably/maybe/possibly. If only we had someone on NSC who worked in the sector..............Oh hang on [MENTION=522]Kinky Gerbils[/MENTION]

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
10% of Lloyds business hardly even worth a news item? You really are deluded, thin end of the wedge sir, good luck to you, you are gonna need it!

And when they realise that they can operate more efficiently from Brussels and have access to the world from there it won't take a wild leap of faith to scale back UK operations, and increase in Europe.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
No idea what your fantasy Brexit dividend is all about.

It was this one, but we know that nobody believed it or voted for it. Probably.

landscape-1466764876-boris-johnson-vote-leave-bus-nhs-350m-claim.jpg

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
drop in the ocean compared to how much has been moved to Singapore in the last few years without anyone even batting an eyelid or even knowing

An initial 100 jobs go to the EU, how many initially went to Singapore?
We don't know how much will shift out of London in the end, but the trickle has started.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Probably/maybe/possibly. If only we had someone on NSC who worked in the sector..............Oh hang on [MENTION=522]Kinky Gerbils[/MENTION]

People are taking the risk to the open skies agreement seriously here, and speaking to other companies at the airport they are as well.

The threat to airlines is real, Virgin have announced they expect 2017 to be a loss making year, we are big enough to take a hit - but for how long before we see a price rise?

Virgin Atlantic have been making profits for the past 3 years in a row before someone trots out the "easy to blame brexit for bad business sense"

another point was raised in a meeting the other day, EU rules mean that companies can only be owned up to 49% by non EU companies - ie Delta can only own 49% of Virgin Group, this however is no longer the case.... will this affect anything? who knows, but a rule protecting us is no longer going to be there.

I am not sure about flights to the EU, as it is not something we do.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We don't know how much will shift out of London in the end, but the trickle has started.

In view of the amount of doom and gloom being forecast today by some remainers, I feel that said remainers should perhaps refrain from using the word 'trickle', lest another phrase beloved of some NSCers should rear its ugly head!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
A small subsidiary office to deal with some of the 10% of their business which is with the EU. Hardly even worthy of being a news item, really. Just a bit of common sense by Lloyds really.

10% of their business would produce around £210,000,000 in pre tax profits.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Absolutely. Nobody believed it. I wonder, then, why a remainer should cite it as part of his argument.........................

Of course nobody believed one of the central points of the leave campaign. Absolutely nobody. I wonder, then, why Boris Johnson was kept out of the limelight this week?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
In view of the amount of doom and gloom being forecast today by some remainers, I feel that said remainers should perhaps refrain from using the word 'trickle', lest another phrase beloved of some NSCers should rear its ugly head!

Fingers and legs crossed then, I don't get a chance to use the word flood.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

I doubt £650 million investment would be heading to Heathrow if there was any realistic chance of the doomsday scenario occurring, do you? World's biggest sovereign wealth funds not good enough then.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I doubt £650 million investment would be heading to Heathrow if there was any realistic chance of the doomsday scenario occurring, do you? World's biggest sovereign wealth funds not good enough then.

You are more than likely right, but to suggest airlines are not worried and dismissing the problem is foolish - they are 100% are - the ones that fly to the EU more so - Norwegian Air are taking the piss with some of the rates they charge, which UK companies are struggling to match at the moment - this will be even harder moving forward.

It goes back to the point I made yesterday, we have 2 years to sort out massive issues - with each sector suggesting they have the biggest impact on the UK and will take months to sort out.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
[MENTION=522]Kinky Gerbils[/MENTION] has indicated that people in the sector, such as airlines, are taking the threat to the Open Skies agreement seriously and I haven't read any definitive clarity over the aviation question anywhere or heard anyone from our Conservative and Unionist Party Government provide reassurance over the issue.

I'm sure everything will probably be okay though.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
[MENTION=522]Kinky Gerbils[/MENTION] has indicated that people in the sector, such as airlines, are taking the threat to the Open Skies agreement seriously and I haven't read any definitive clarity over the aviation question anywhere or heard anyone from our Conservative and Unionist Party Government provide reassurance over the issue.

I'm sure everything will probably be okay though.

Airlines tend to start publishing flights 11 months from departure - that is not that far off.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

the trickle has been there for years, offices move, jobs come and go. last week Deutsche Bank took out new lease on offices in London, as one counter example to this claim of an exodus. companies will move some operations to EU, meanwhile their will be some EU based firms looking to move operations to London to maintain access to the markets here. some will see risks, some will see opportunities.

its like the stories of the airline above: Heathrow investors are continuing because they see the long game, while Ryan air claims they will move operations looking for short term gain (its hardly a surprise they see growth elsewhere than the saturated UK market). its going to be a long couple of years pouring over every claim and counter claim, most of which will be full of bias and bluster to furnish agendas, probably a good idea to switch off from the whole thing and come back in 2019 to see what the final score is.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
http://www.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/james-obrien/give-me-one-way-your-life-is-better-brexit-obrien/

Kev called James O'Brien thrilled that Britain is leaving the EU. Surely he can give one positive in his life that will come from Brexit? Just one...

With Theresa May set to trigger Article 50 today, James was asking callers to give him one positive that would happen in their life because Britain were leaving the European Union.

Kev called saying that he disagreed with 99% of things that James said.

So when James asks him how his life would improve, surely he had several examples.

Well, he mentioned the man on the moon. Did that satisfy James?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Another point was raised in a meeting the other day, EU rules mean that companies can only be owned up to 49% by non EU companies - ie Delta can only own 49% of Virgin Group, this however is no longer the case.... will this affect anything? who knows, but a rule protecting us is no longer going to be there.

Have you no heard of the Great Repeal Bill, the White Paper for which is due to be published today?

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/brexit-explained/brexit-explained-great-repeal-bill

This will enshrine all the European laws from the last 40 years into British law, so there will be no sudden black hole in the legislation. Parliament can then decide as and when which bits it repeals or replaces. Presumably, then, this rule will still apply, and if Parliament thinks it is a good thing they won't change it.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here