Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] QPR - End of Loftus Road or Bust?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Sounds a great idea if they can provide space for it's current users too. Hopefully they'll build something sustainable like a 20k which can be expanded in the future to about 25k at most seater, not go for some huge monstrosity which will be empty. LR is 18k right? Something twice the footprint sounds like it would still leave land available for other sports and could provide limited training facilities for the club too (not a full complex but a pitch to be utilised when needed as well as by other casual community clubs).

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
The BBC are long gone too.

Not true - all of the BBC staff in W12 are based in Broadcast Centre now, still on the White City site but with a much-reduced footprint.

I wonder if QPR missed a trick when BBC Woodlands was sold (immediately to the north of the Westway). It may have come up for sale (2005ish?) before they got serious investment, but it would have been perfect for them I think. Too late now as it's owned by Imperial College London and new buildings are popping up all over the place on that site.

EDIT: Correction - Mittal/Briatore bought QPR in 2008 and the BBC sold Woodlands in 2009. They should have jumped on that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2009/09_september/01/woodlands.shtml

Last edited:

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
A true Londoner would know that the stadium was demolished in the 80s.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

west london mate , never venture there ,poor effort as i said leave it to people who are good at it :lolol:

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
3B5B8830-CF16-44D0-AB9B-651D7713175A.png

Talking of boom and bust.

We cant rely talk about other clubs pursuit of promotion.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
View attachment 99717

Talking of boom and bust.

We cant rely talk about other clubs pursuit of promotion.

But for both us and Huddersfield that includes promotion bonuses, which was well documented to be EVERY member of staff.

Essentially, had we not been promoted our staff costs would have a) been far lower, and b) been almost certainly offset by the sale of players such as Dunk and Knockaert.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
A true Londoner would know that the stadium was demolished in the 80s.

I remember the days of parking in Aerial Way, when going to watch Jools Holland at the BBC.
Now it's a mini car park leading to the Westfield car park.
That area has changed a lot, bu there's still that grott box under the A40!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No, no scepticism at all. Just that the sort of blokes that piss down the the back wall might also do the other things too.

To be fair, even I have pissed down the back (fence, not wall) - at Brentford. We had no choice - a tiny bog and 2,000 full bladders. Not sure what the excuse might be at Loftus. I went to that cup game there on a Sunday years ago, and it seemed like a nice little place. Not 'premiership ready' though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
That's long gone, the land became part of The BBC. I remember as a child when they used to have speedway at White City Stadium, the noise could be heard up to a mile away & perhaps even further, how things have changed, they'd never be able to create so much noise in such a built up area. The Stadium was used when England hosted the post war Olympics in 1948. I believe it had a capacity of over 90,000. Anyway it was knocked down in 1985.

Oops got distracted by a phonecall whilst writing this and Beanstalk supplied the answer.

Here it is in all its glory, just before the World Cup in 1966

World Cup 66 White City 1 (1).jpg

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Is it? Cripes, that means I’ve been teaching accounting and finance wrong for the last 30 years.
Perhaps he means in football terms that it doesn't include all income. Like player sales or suing Tony Pulis? You know, the only things keeping palace afloat..... [emoji23]

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
But for both us and Huddersfield that includes promotion bonuses, which was well documented to be EVERY member of staff.

Essentially, had we not been promoted our staff costs would have a) been far lower, and b) been almost certainly offset by the sale of players such as Dunk and Knockaert.
Indeed.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I remember the days of parking in Aerial Way, when going to watch Jools Holland at the BBC.
Now it's a mini car park leading to the Westfield car park.
That area has changed a lot, bu there's still that grott box under the A40!
That's gone too. They've extended the Westfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here