Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else glad we didn't piss hugely inflated fees away on Johnny Foreigner mercenaries?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
With all the scatter shot bids we "appeared" to make to a load of players with some pretty pish poor scoring stats in foreign leagues - I am perversely pleased we didn't land any of them!!

The fees are ridiculous for mediocrity.

Prefer the Albion when we're backs against the wall anyway....

JCLs can whine away.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With all the scatter shot bids we "appeared" to make to a load of players with some pretty pish poor scoring stats in foreign leagues - I am perversely pleased we didn't land any of them!!

The fees are ridiculous for mediocrity.

Prefer the Albion when we're backs against the wall anyway....

JCLs can whine away.
Maybe we already have! Won't know until they've played a few games, will we?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Well, if you've got a couple of extra million quid lying around for the inflated price of good old British talent feel free to chip in. Oh and talking rediculous fees for mediocrity, how much did Arsenal turn down for British, not-foreign, Callum Chambers? ???

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No.

Supported the club since 1976.

Strikers would give the club a chance of staying up, meaning not least that TB would have a chance of starting to get his loan back. Championship football with our huge cost base, even with a couple of years of parachute money, won't allow that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
One thing i was concerned with, and still am to a degree, is that I don't currently feel like I "know" our team.

I'd find it difficult to define what "know" means in this context, but it sort of encompasses familiarity and a cosiness of feeling that I understood the personalities of most of our players. Now the likes of Ryan, Suttner, Gross, Propper, Izquierdo and Schelotto feel like complete strangers to me.

As a result, I'm currently struggling to feel much warmth towards our team. They don't feel like MY team. I hope that changes. Maybe it won't change, and it's just an aspect of Premier League life and I'll just get used to it.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
I'm currently struggling to feel much warmth towards our team. They don't feel like MY team. I hope that changes. Maybe it won't change, and it's just an aspect of Premier League life and I'll just get used to it.

That's natural when new players come in, afew goals, a bit of fight, a bit of badge thumping, you'll see that change.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I made that point this morning as well, signing just anyone for a massive fee, plus massive wages, just wouldn't sit very well with me. Obviously we're going to spend more at this level and players earn more at this level, but the hyper-inflation of this summer's market is like a whole other world to reality. It's ridiculous the amounts of money which have been spent on ordinary players. £35million for Oxlade-Chamberlain? With 12 months left on his contract? Seriously?

Janssen would have cost us something like £20million plus £50-60k per week in wages. That's a crazy financial outlay on a 4 year contract. We would have been committed to paying him over £10.4million over the course of that contract. For a player who has failed in the Premier League so far. This is the type of money you have to payout, we all get that, but if it's not the right deal for the club then we can't be critical that they didn't sign it, and to hell with the consequences.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
One thing i was concerned with, and still am to a degree, is that I don't currently feel like I "know" our team.

I'd find it difficult to define what "know" means in this context, but it sort of encompasses familiarity and a cosiness of feeling that I understood the personalities of most of our players. Now the likes of Ryan, Suttner, Gross, Propper, Izquierdo and Schelotto feel like complete strangers to me.

Agree with this. We won promotion with a #together team who I felt comfortable with, whose strengths and weaknesses we knew. Now we have shipped in these on the whole more expensive signings and we actually have no idea whether they will work out and none of them is the out and out striker we probably knew was needed. However we should give Chris the chance to make it work, his record with the Albion is pretty good so far and the season has barely started. A few good results and "warmth" will probably arise.

Aug 23, 2011

As a result, I'm currently struggling to feel much warmth towards our team. They don't feel like MY team. I hope that changes. Maybe it won't change, and it's just an aspect of Premier League life and I'll just get used to it.

Is that not the same most transfer windows. What about summer 2012 when we had Bruno, Crofts, Kuszczak, Lopez, Orlandi, Dobbie, and Bridge all come in

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

The silver lining of our Premier League recruitment cloud is that so many much loved faces from last year remain as key players...

IF we survive with this squad then it will be far more enjoyable than being a couple of places higher with more new players in.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I made that point this morning as well, signing just anyone for a massive fee, plus massive wages, just wouldn't sit very well with me. Obviously we're going to spend more at this level and players earn more at this level, but the hyper-inflation of this summer's market is like a whole other world to reality. It's ridiculous the amounts of money which have been spent on ordinary players. £35million for Oxlade-Chamberlain? With 12 months left on his contract? Seriously?

Janssen would have cost us something like £20million plus £50-60k per week in wages. That's a crazy financial outlay on a 4 year contract. We would have been committed to paying him over £10.4million over the course of that contract. For a player who has failed in the Premier League so far. This is the type of money you have to payout, we all get that, but if it's not the right deal for the club then we can't be critical that they didn't sign it, and to hell with the consequences.

Janssen would have left in Summer 2018 if we were relegated. So his £2.5m+ per annum payroll cost would have left the books.

I'm not saying he was the answer to all our striking prayers.

Just saying that with £130m annual income, whilst in the PL, the club could afford such figures.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Is that not the same most transfer windows. What about summer 2012 when we had Bruno, Crofts, Kuszczak, Lopez, Orlandi, Dobbie, and Bridge all come in

Yeah, probably.

But I'll be moody and sulky if I want to be. OK?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Janssen would have left in Summer 2018 if we were relegated. So his £2.5m+ per annum payroll cost would have left the books.

I'm not saying he was the answer to all our striking prayers.

Just saying that with £130m annual income, whilst in the PL, the club could afford such figures.

yep. people wanting to not spend seem to forget the substantial income we now have. and top players dont usually want to hang around after relegation (and parachute payments should cover anyway, thats rather the whole point of them).

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

I think this only really reflects the massive jump the squads had to make from top Champ to Prem to be even competitive!

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Gutted we didn't get a striker but in all honesty it all seemed very desperate on our part bidding huge sums for players no-one had ever heard of with very average records. The Premier League is a circus and a very expensive club to belong to, if we go down I won't lose any sleep as I quite like the Championship and we would arrive there with some very large parachute payments and be able to compete. On the plus side we are £20 million up on what we would have been yesterday.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Gutted we didn't get a striker but in all honesty it all seemed very desperate on our part bidding huge sums for players no-one had ever heard of with very average records. The Premier League is a circus and a very expensive club to belong to, if we go down I won't lose any sleep as I quite like the Championship and we would arrive there with some very large parachute payments and be able to compete. On the plus side we are £20 million up on what we would have been yesterday.
It feels like the worst possible case, but clearly it isn't. A huge fee and massive wages for a non-committed forward, would sting worse. Little old Brighton the written off underdogs. I can get behind that. It is a big ask for our squad, but we have to back them.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

boik

I'm intrigued as to whom the naysayers would have signed. So, who would you have signed, when, and for how much? And no being wise after the event and saying Chris Woods, just before Burnley, and £15m. General consensus was that he had no P/L experience no pace and we could do better.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm intrigued as to whom the naysayers would have signed. So, who would you have signed, when, and for how much? And no being wise after the event and saying Chris Woods, just before Burnley, and £15m. General consensus was that he had no P/L experience no pace and we could do better.

I would have gone on bended knee to Ashley Barnes and Burnley at about 5pm last night

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here