Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the voting age be raised?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Many years ago I was doing the exit poll for a well known party.I heard two young girls who were just about old enough to vote say to each other " I voted for xxxxxx because he was dishy. Say no more.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Plenty of people voted for UKIP, which is just as stupid in my opinion. If people are allowed to vote, then how they vote and what they base their decisions on is entirely up to them.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
With the labour Party getting the kids vote and clearly changing the political map.

Do you feel that at 18 years old have any experience in life to vote in politics?

A lot of these voters could just have been 11 years old when Labour were in power before, should they be allowed to vote???

I was gullible at 18 years old if someone promises you the earth, you believe it, you don't understand how they get the earth to you and probably don't care.

This is not meant to be an attack at the youth but you guys have a long time on this planet and in life you will be learning a lot.

Sounds harsh..................but fair.
What a load of bollocks! The only gullible ones are you old fools that have been reading shite newspapers for decades lapping up all their drivel

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
With the labour Party getting the kids vote and clearly changing the political map.

Do you feel that at 18 years old have any experience in life to vote in politics?

A lot of these voters could just have been 11 years old when Labour were in power before, should they be allowed to vote???

I was gullible at 18 years old if someone promises you the earth, you believe it, you don't understand how they get the earth to you and probably don't care.

This is not meant to be an attack at the youth but you guys have a long time on this planet and in life you will be learning a lot.

I've read some patronising bollox on NSC over the years but this is Premier League drivel.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
What a load of bollocks! The only gullible ones are you old fools that have been reading shite newspapers for decades lapping up all their drivel

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Do you know his age? and in your eyes what classes as old.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
The plan to change the boundaries is to make the average seat size more even in terms of number of voters per MP. At present this is biased towards the Labour Party. I assume you are an advocate of fairness in a system, so why oppose?

Next, the reality is a lot of people will vote in their own interest. Students voted to get student fees abolished - wow, what a surprise. Pensioners vote to protect their pensions and freebies - wow, who'd have thought that? And lots of others get attracted by the thought of taxing someone else to provide better public services.

The Labour campaign was very well targeted and the Tories were crap - really crap. Yet, even accepting that, the Tories still won by nearly 60 seats. I would not be surprised to see a change in Tory plans before the next election to attract more young voters.
So you dont agree with the plan then? I'm gobsmacked. It's something that they actually may stick with so don't worry about it being another lie or something to flip then flop. They could by strong and stable on this one. Get behind it. Get a hastage ready. Lets do this!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I'd stick with 18, personally. Below that you've probably not paid any income tax, not had a mortgage, not had a permanent job and most not had enough experience of life to make a rational choice. Of course, that alplies to many over 18 but you have to cut off somewhere.

Have you seen some of the 30 something's walking the streets of Brighton? Have you seen the 50 year olds with their life experience and knowledge of previous governments queuing up to get into Wetherspoons in George Street at 8am?

Thank God 18 year olds can have a say in who runs the country

(I'm 49 BTW)

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I agree the Tories campaign was not up to date, and the labour party IMO exploited the young and they are so easily influenced.

Exploited?? Seriously?
They appealed to that demographic with their progressive policies.

7 years ago the Tories promised to get rid of the deficit in a single term. Now that estimate is maybe 2025.
It's amazing to me that anyone votes for them still.

IMO, way too many 45-60 year olds vote Conservative based on the Thatcher government of the 80s
The assumption being once we get through these hard times we're going to be better off..

There is no evidence to support this view.. Apart from "life experience" from 30 years ago..

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Think it's a great thing young people turned out in droves to have their voices heard after years and years of not being engaged in politics. They have absolutely every right to vote for whoever they want, and nobody has the right to deny them the vote just because it means politicians would now actually have to listen to them and not push them around, which is exactly what the conservatives did not do.

If you could be cynical you could say Labour took advantage of the youth vote, but I think it was a two way thing. Jeremy Corbyn appeals to young idealists, and in turn Labour aren't going to ignore an untapped demographic. Maybe if Theresa May spent less time trying to get the UKIP vote she would have done a bit better.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Thank God 18 year olds can have a say in who runs the country

(I'm 49 BTW)

Yes but thank god 16 year olds dont en mass have a say......bit harsh on the ones who have educated themselves on politics and the world but there must be a cut off point and 18 seems fair for the complexities and consequences of voting.

larus

So you dont agree with the plan then? I'm gobsmacked. It's something that they actually may stick with so don't worry about it being another lie or something to flip then flop. They could by strong and stable on this one. Get behind it. Get a hastage ready. Lets do this!

What are you asking me?

Are you asking if I agree with the Boundary Commision review to make seats similar sizes?
Are you asking me if I agree with students voting for someone who promises to ditchhouse university fees?
Are you asking me if I agree with old people voting for someone who promises better pensions etc?

The rest of your post is incomprehensible ramblings. "Get a hastage ready. Let's do this". Do you mean hostage or hashtag? Get behind what?

Apart from that, a very well constructed and reasoned post.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
What are you asking me?

Are you asking if I agree with the Boundary Commision review to make seats similar sizes?
Are you asking me if I agree with students voting for someone who promises to ditchhouse university fees?
Are you asking me if I agree with old people voting for someone who promises better pensions etc?

The rest of your post is incomprehensible ramblings. "Get a hastage ready. Let's do this". Do you mean hostage or hashtag? Get behind what?

Apart from that, a very well constructed and reasoned post.
Wooooooooooooooooooosssshhhhhhhhhhh

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

What a stupid post. Age is irrelevant. There are lots of people much older who are clueless about politics. Should they not be allowed to vote too.

If anything the minimum age should be reduced to 16.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
If it is unfair for politicians to try to profit from the perceived hopes of the young, it is equally unfair to try to profit from the perceived fears of the old.

The latter tactic has been pursued relentlessly by the tories for decades.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

In that case, they should take your vote away - you're old, its not your future.

Sounds harsh...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
They interviewed a girl yesterday who said she doesn't read the newspapers but made her decision based on what she read on social media. She probably voted for the candidate who posted the most you tube clips of a panda falling over.

They could of course interviewed an older person who said I read the Mail/Express everyday and I believe every word they write and I voted for that very nice Mrs May because that's who the paper said was best for the country.

Larry

Feb 11, 2011
The vote age should be lower 14 years and if anything we should have a proper vote on the EU it's the young peoples futurer not the over 70 they will be dead in a few years.We should also have a moden system off voting that reflex all views.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here