Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gus Poyet Comments on Albion's Success

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I certainly think that Gus has a point, in that he started an upward spiral for the club

I do not agree however that this promotion push is something which he started. Two years ago the club was actually on a downward spiral, so if anything, what he had achieved had been dismantled and had to be started from almost scratch in terms of playing personnel.

Why wouldn't he try and claim it. That's what egotistical people do.

Gus Poyet deserves a pat on the back for his achievements during his at the club but this season's success or even last season's relative success are not down to him in any way shape or form. I didn't see him clambering to jump on the bus last year when the club actually missed out on the Promotion

No, there is a definite link between what we were doing then and what we were doing now, excusing that Hyypia aberration we have been on an upward trajectory ever since then, continuously adding and building and refining. The style we play now is not a million miles from what we played under Gus, and that's because the club is run from above: Gus, and Chris, and I'm sure the other two as well, were chosen because their style and their ambitions fit with the club's desire and ambitions, and the players recruited by and large fit with that too. Everyone pulling together with a single vision is the primary reason for our success over the past seven seasons under Bloom

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh surprisingly it's still in play.

I'm going to say post #35.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
No, there is a definite link between what we were doing then and what we were doing now, excusing that Hyypia aberration we have been on an upward trajectory ever since then, continuously adding and building and refining. The style we play now is not a million miles from what we played under Gus, and that's because the club is run from above: Gus, and Chris, and I'm sure the other two as well, were chosen because their style and their ambitions fit with the club's desire and ambitions, and the players recruited by and large fit with that too. Everyone pulling together with a single vision is the primary reason for our success over the past seven seasons under Bloom

You can't simply just ignore that period as if it never happened and wipe it clean from history. Someone had t come in and halt what was happening during that period and turn it around. I have met both of them and I can assure you that GP and CH are nothing like each other in any way shape or form.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
It takes more than the simple loosening of purse-strings to do what he did to get us out of L1. OK it wasn't done on a shoestring, but nor did we splash the cash outlandishly. The likes of Southampton had a far bigger budget than us, yet they were still left trailing in our wake. That wasn't just a promotion, it was a complete and utter massacre of the division.

That was without doubt one of the best seasons I have ever experienced as a BHA fan. And love him or loathe him, Gus was the driving force behind it.
Plus a great start to our first season in the championship, which unfortunately tailed off at the end of the season to miss out on the playoffs.

Then a tremendous end to the following season, which led us to be favourites to win the playoffs. The less said about that the better. 0-0 away to Palace in the 1st leg and it looked like it may happen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I have met both of them and I can assure you that GP and CH are nothing like each other in any way shape or form.
Errmm excuse me, you're kidding right!?!!

How do you explain them being almost identical on the touchline?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
LOL

The blue jumper maybe ?

God this is getting worse.
Now you're trying to tell us Chris isn't wearing a tank top.

Vest - shirt - tie - tank top - action slacks - blazer.

"I'm ready for some football mayhem, hoo-ah".

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Sadly not, but I know we put in another IMMENSE display there as well

No exaggeration to say that could have been 5/6/7 nil. We were amazing and it was only Joe Lewis in goal that stopped it being a CRICKET score.

Went to both and genuinely didn't think we could improve on Charlton but we did. Awesome.

Also both good for diff reasons. Charlton were a more recently 'big' team in front of a big gate and huge away following so felt great but Peterborough were genuine title rivals and we BLEW them away.

Could do with a similar performance somewhere this season so let's go and STICK it to Leeds in March please.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
You do wonder where we'd be now if we'd appointed a different manager to replace Slade (or kept him) and had gone into the Amex still in League 1. Obviously there's no reason why someone wouldn't have come in and taken us right through (perhaps we'd have done a Bournemouth & be in the Prem already) but it would certainly seem like it would have been a much tougher journey to get to here.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
I liked Poyet, so won't be coating him off for the messy leaving thing. Good guy and all that, not in the same league as CH though. China?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It really reads like they're trying to make out Gus has made it all about himself. So much of the first half of the article is conjecture. There really isn't much in the actual quotes. Everything he says is fair enough and he doesn't attempt to take credit for anything he hasn't done.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think he has regrets...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Still responsible for one of the best seasons in our history. That League One winning season was frankly unbelievable at points.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No exaggeration to say that could have been 5/6/7 nil. We were amazing and it was only Joe Lewis in goal that stopped it being a CRICKET score.

Went to both and genuinely didn't think we could improve on Charlton but we did. Awesome.

Also both good for diff reasons. Charlton were a more recently 'big' team in front of a big gate and huge away following so felt great but Peterborough were genuine title rivals and we BLEW them away.

Could do with a similar performance somewhere this season so let's go and STICK it to Leeds in March please.

That Peterborough game was one of the most thrilling Albion performances that I have ever seen. It was also a game that saw CMS chasing everything from the first whistle to the last, it was like a Duracell advert. I wonder if that influenced Gus to think he was better than lazy old GM :rolleyes:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Gus turning on the charm a bit, something he is very good at.

He is probably mostly right though.

And now with Glenn Murray back, palace falling apart, and the success we are having it seems like we are moving away from the damage inflicted at the end of his management.

Time to cut him some slack, although he was badly wrong about the ceiling.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You can't simply just ignore that period as if it never happened and wipe it clean from history. Someone had t come in and halt what was happening during that period and turn it around.

:) just in the sense of our league position, but the progression of the club, the masterplan if you like, was continuing unabated through that period. Just turned out hyppia was a bad manager, and the guy in charge of recruitment was changed at the same time.

Anyway, there is no doubt that the playing style of Brighton was revolutionised by poyet, and we haven't gone back on that. CH has added to it - clubs don't get successful by building, tearing down, starting again - you get successful by incrementally making things better, which is what bloom and barber have been doing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here