Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Southern Trains Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I am,I make him right

Yep, this. It really is astonishing the number of people ready to blame the unions for everything, or even suggest that they are "equally" to blame. It's absolute crap. Blame this shit spineless government and the most incompetent moronic train company imaginable.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Southern Failway has shown it is incapable of supplying a rail service to Sussex.

I don't care about their reasons - not my problem, I buy tickets from them and no one else. Their problems with staff are their problems and not mine.

Not fit for purpose.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Yep, this. It really is astonishing the number of people ready to blame the unions for everything, or even suggest that they are "equally" to blame. It's absolute crap. Blame this shit spineless government and the most incompetent moronic train company imaginable.

Why is it "astonishing"?

Every day I attempt to commute. Every day I'm late. Every I have to listen to the latest spout of rhetoric from both sides saying they want to talk but the other side declined. Whatever your politics, to say "that is absolute crap" is to insult the intelligence of the thousands of commuters who have to put up with this every day and have simply had enough.

Get on your moralistic high horse if you want but don't drag the rest of us into it.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

Neither the government nor train company called strike...The Union did...As well as fu..ing up trains it has made road users suffer as well.... If government was spineless it would not stand up to the bullys in the union...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Why is it "astonishing"?

Every day I attempt to commute. Every day I'm late. Every I have to listen to the latest spout of rhetoric from both sides saying they want to talk but the other side declined. Whatever your politics, to say "that is absolute crap" is to insult the intelligence of the thousands of commuters who have to put up with this every day and have simply had enough.

Get on your moralistic high horse if you want but don't drag the rest of us into it.

Well I'm a commuter too and I'm well aware of the shambles. It is "astonishing" because this contemptible service has been going on for 17 months whereas the RMT union dispute has only been for six months and ASLEF have barely started. Why are they receiving the same level of abuse as the company who have been an absolute disgrace for pushing two years? There is no saving grace about any aspect of their service. It is totally feeble and unacceptable on every level, yet the government has let them get away with missing laughably lax targets and allowed them to reduce their timetable to the point of it not working at all on some lines.

To be clear, I don't know whether the unions are being too quick to strike or not, but I do know that the misery Southern Rail are responsible for far outweighs the misery caused by striking workers. This is the first day that a strike has actually caused major disruption.

Call that a moralistic high horse if you like, I'll just call you a pig-headed Tory boy who won't see the blindingly obvious.

albionite

May 20, 2009
assuming you are missing a comma and not agreeing with me, go and look at the ballot results.

and to be fair its not, and quite effective too. just they also announced strikes (today, tomorrow, Friday to start) and the RMT went straight to strikes too. and in both cases they never sought to explain, publicise or gain support for their case, prefering the old methods to those in the modern world of PR.

So the ballot result were 630 in favour to 92 no,action for strikes and 690yes and 30 no, for action short of strikes.

Sorry what was your point again.

Last edited:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Well I'm a commuter too and I'm well aware of the shambles. It is "astonishing" because this contemptible service has been going on for 17 months whereas the RMT union dispute has only been for six months and ASLEF have barely started. Why are they receiving the same level of abuse as the company who have been an absolute disgrace for pushing two years? There is no saving grace about any aspect of their service. It is totally feeble and unacceptable on every level, yet the government has let them get away with missing laughably lax targets and allowed them to reduce their timetable to the point of it not working at all on some lines.

To be clear, I don't know whether the unions are being too quick to strike or not, but I do know that the misery Southern Rail are responsible for far outweighs the misery caused by striking workers. This is the first day that a strike has actually caused major disruption.

Call that a moralistic high horse if you like, I'll just call you a pig-headed Tory boy who won't see the blindingly obvious.

Ah - personal abuse.....

Mods!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Neither the government nor train company called strike...The Union did...As well as fu..ing up trains it has made road users suffer as well.... If government was spineless it would not stand up to the bullys in the union...

It is interesting that those all too willing to blame the unions for everything don't appear interested in questioning how we have arrived at a situation where TWO unions are so upset that they are both willing to strike at just about the most expensive time of year. And the government is completely spineless - they are hiding behind complete lies and an agency (the train company) in an effort to force through highly debatable new procedures. How come they will stand up to unions but are not interested in standing up for the long suffering commuter by ensuring the train company was appropriately penalised for their absolutely disgusting level of service over the past 17 months?

Ah - personal abuse.....

Mods!
Really? It's no worse than anything you've said.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Southern Failway has shown it is incapable of supplying a rail service to Sussex.

I don't care about their reasons - not my problem, I buy tickets from them and no one else. Their problems with staff are their problems and not mine.

Not fit for purpose.

everyones problem actually .... if you are a tax payer

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
ACAS talks scheduled for tomorrow
Reading that I had an instant mental image of Mr Bloom sat outside the door, doing what turns out to be a very good impression of Mickey Rouke:-

article-2720101-205DACC500000578-966_634x874.jpg

Anyone trying to leave getting clobbered back into the room.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
It is interesting that those all too willing to blame the unions for everything don't appear interested in questioning how we have arrived at a situation where TWO unions are so upset that they are both willing to strike at just about the most expensive time of year. And the government is completely spineless - they are hiding behind complete lies and an agency (the train company) in an effort to force through highly debatable new procedures. How come they will stand up to unions but are not interested in standing up for the long suffering commuter by ensuring the train company was appropriately penalised for their absolutely disgusting level of service over the past 17 months?

Don't recall personally insulting you......

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes

I`m not solely blaming the union, rail company seems pretty shambolic and the service has been shit for months....However there can be no denying the Strike is solely the Unions fault and it is bound to increase travellers misery during this season of supposed goodwill .

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
everyones problem actually .... if you are a tax payer
I suppose, from a certain perspective.

But really my 'contract' is with Southern Failways. Everything beyond that is operational details for them to deal with and not something for me to get involved with.

The question boils down to whether they can supply Sussex with an acceptable rail service or not ???

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Don't recall personally insulting you......
I apologise if you're really that offended. But I remain astonished by your position and I'd consider you insisting I was on a moral high horse every bit as abusive as what you said.

I`m not solely blaming the union, rail company seems pretty shambolic and the service has been shit for months....However there can be no denying the Strike is solely the Unions fault and it is bound to increase travellers misery during this season of goodwill .
I agree with you. I don't see how striking for the length of time they are doing is remotely reasonable. What makes it even more unreasonable is the fact that they are insisting it is all about safety rather than job protection and that they are insisting they have public support when clearly they don't.

I'm merely taking issue with the suggestion that the unions are "equally" to blame for this shit-show. I think we'd need six months of ASLEF intransigence and refusal to negotiate before it becomes anywhere close to equal when I think of the number of days I have missed my little boy going to bed because they can't even run a f**king train 17 miles down a straight line track.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here