Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
No it wouldn't, he might ruin my Adam Blythe joke:-

***clears throat***

Blythe, pah, the best thing he did in cycling was Lizzie Armitstead.

I thank you, here all week.

I've been wondering if Lizzie Armitstead has actually seen Marianne Vos from the front since Saturday's GP. Great race, and a top finish from Bronzini, although the highlight will always be seeing the Rainbow Jersey speed past from within touching distance. :)

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Strava etc

I seem to have linked this with Garmin which means I only need to rename each ride now. Thing is, the new Garmin connect site is pretty mingey.

Decided to improve a few segment times this morning. First was a little sprint down a lane with a right angle blind entry. Had to abort when saw a car approaching and then a parked lorry. Somehow got a 3rd best time. Then took 30s off a climb, but that kinda stuffed me for the rest of the ride. Thirdly, was a bit of an uphill sprint. PRed it by 4s. Bonusly, felt a lot better on flats and slight downhills, so went for a longer sprinty stretch which sadly ends up a bit residential with roadside parking. PRed by 9s.

Nice one Moto. I've given up targeting segments - on the commute I've seemingly ridden them all now in ideal weather conditions (wind behind me, etc.) so without replicating those conditions (or losing a stone!) I'm unlikely to be able to reach them in the near future, and on the longer rides I tend to switch my routes up enough that I don't get a good feel for where the segments are.

Is there a way in Strava of seeing all of your times for a particular segment? I've never been able to work out how much I've taken off when I've achieved new PRs...

The Garmin site can't be as bad as the Mio site (my cycling computer). It only works in IE, not any other browser, and only then if you install the terrible and laggy plug in. Then the website never loads at the first time of asking (requiring at least one, and sometimes several, reloads) and about 50% of the time it crashes the browser altogether. However once you actually log in to the site the uploading (and transferring to Strava) all happens automatically and is pretty seamless - as long as you don't do anything as foolish as turn the device on before logging in to the website.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Is there a way in Strava of seeing all of your times for a particular segment? I've never been able to work out how much I've taken off when I've achieved new PRs...

Try veloviewer.com it takes all your Strava data and allows you to view it in loads of different ways. There is a 'history' feature that will list all your attempts at a particular segment.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset

If you click on the segment in the ride, there's a little drop down list above the leaderboard that says "overall" where you can select "my results".

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Try veloviewer.com it takes all your Strava data and allows you to view it in loads of different ways. There is a 'history' feature that will list all your attempts at a particular segment.

Do it [MENTION=489]sten[/MENTION]_super. Veloviewer is incredible for that sort of thing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] ::cheers::thumbsup:

(I didn't need to check if your kom was East or West bound though….)

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As many will know the late great Robin Williams was also a keen cyclist. He once said "my favourite thing to do is ride a bicycle. I ride road bikes and for me it's mobile meditation"

10609657_363532637128025_7313786453804262345_n.jpg

10599464_1521858038027383_7175332490314508678_n.jpg

10533554_10152753878104873_2707376727248553568_n.jpg

100712-F-0000B-101.jpg

robinOchowicz1.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] ::cheers::thumbsup:

(I didn't need to check if your kom was East or West bound though….)
That's very kind but don't get too carried away, here's the problem:-

This is the segment in question

http://www.strava.com/segments/1672506
Yay me, but according to Strava I've only ridden that section twice, today and back in March.

But the same road has 2 other segments on it:-

http://www.strava.com/segments/1068627 & http://www.strava.com/segments/5405509

Which as you can see I'm merely a pedestrian in comparison, and have ridden 6 times.

So why doesn't the first segment (now known as The Official Segment :lol:) capture all the rides on that road.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
As many will know the late great Robin Williams was also a keen cyclist. He once said "my favourite thing to do is ride a bicycle. I ride road bikes and for me it's mobile meditation"

10609657_363532637128025_7313786453804262345_n.jpg

10599464_1521858038027383_7175332490314508678_n.jpg

10533554_10152753878104873_2707376727248553568_n.jpg

100712-F-0000B-101.jpg

robinOchowicz1.jpg

Very sad to hear about RW.

My dad died two years ago, and soon after that I 'struggled' for a while. Depression is debilitating beyond belief - it was hard to even get up off the sofa.

But I made myself ride my bike. This was the best therapy available, and I am sure that I got through what was a very difficult time much more quickly than I would have done if I wasn't a cyclist.

Mobile meditation - yep, that strikes a chord. My advice - if ever you feel 'down', get on your bike.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hey [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION] how's your third day on the bounce treating you?
What with you being our notoriously shy consecutive day rider.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In honour of my former restoration project and now commute/hack coming back from Glyn's really looking the business I thought I'd photoshoot Le Stable du Stat, even though the carbon is looking a little tired:-

Le stable 001.jpg

Le stable 002.jpg

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Hey [MENTION=3858]Motogull[/MENTION] how's your third day on the bounce treating you?
What with you being our notoriously shy consecutive day rider.

I decided today was not for segment chasing. Just went out to enjoy such a rare opportunity to ride midweek. Legs were not impressed. For the first time ever my dodgy knee hurt while riding too. Normally after any number of training loops I can get a groove on back on top on the way home, but not today. Felt a bit ill most of day, so will try and find a flatter ride for Day 4.

Camo riding gear? On reflection, bit of a clue right there.

I echo PM's comments about cycling and emotional wellbeing. The 2 are linked, no question.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I decided today was not for segment chasing.
Funny you should say the phrase segment chasing.

I wanted to do a 'statement' ride today, and really put some serious miles/hills in, so no Strava chasing, absolutely no Strava chasing. Sadly I missed the extension turning I needed and ended up doing a normal long ride.

I'd armchaired it to Coombes, which I see as the joint playground between me and the Brighton chaps.
I had my very first 'conversation' with my inner chimp.

Dr Steve Peters did a long interview with Richard Bacon, 5-live Monday, well worth a listen.

As I turned into Coombes chimpy was all but screaming 'go for it'.
Even though I'd hoped to still have 70-80 more miles to ride, I had to strike a deal along the lines of 'I'll go for it here, and the last climb but soft pedal for everything between those 2 points'.

It was somewhat odd to be able to recognise my subconscious, and realise just how powerful it is.

As said the interview is well worth a listen, I've heard him speak about his book before, but this time he got more involved and explained The Chimp Paradox really well. It'll make sense of the above.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Funny you should say the phrase segment chasing.

I wanted to do a 'statement' ride today, and really put some serious miles/hills in, so no Strava chasing, absolutely no Strava chasing. Sadly I missed the extension turning I needed and ended up doing a normal long ride.

I'd armchaired it to Coombes, which I see as the joint playground between me and the Brighton chaps.
I had my very first 'conversation' with my inner chimp.

Dr Steve Peters did a long interview with Richard Bacon, 5-live Monday, well worth a listen.

As I turned into Coombes chimpy was all but screaming 'go for it'.
Even though I'd hoped to still have 70-80 more miles to ride, I had to strike a deal along the lines of 'I'll go for it here, and the last climb but soft pedal for everything between those 2 points'.

It was somewhat odd to be able to recognise my subconscious, and realise just how powerful it is.

As said the interview is well worth a listen, I've heard him speak about his book before, but this time he got more involved and explained The Chimp Paradox really well. It'll make sense of the above.

Our Coombes Rd times are becoming very aligned…..this could be a battle royale….

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So how do you find this out?

When you click on a segment, whether on one of your activities or somebody else's, there is a small menu to the top right hand side of the list of times which starts off as saying 'overall'. If you click on this, instead of seeing everyone that has done the segment, you can select to see only people you follow, or only riders in a club or group you're in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here