Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Network Adaptors

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
It won't.
You have a non-working system. Plugging it into the internet will not make it any worse

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It won't.
You have a non-working system. Plugging it into the internet will not make it any worse

:facepalm: this is bensgrandad. he'll make it worse, probably by taking something apart when it doesnt work.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My best guess is...

1. you have actually bought a disc containing a whole bunch of drivers.
2. The disc has wrongly installed the wrong drivers for your graphics card.

Solution? Re-start / boot up into Safe Mode (with networking), let the PC continue installation of whatever drivers it thinks you need, then look in Device Manager for any faults. Locate the correct drivers and install them, then reboot the PC.
Google will tell you how to restart a Win7 laptop into Safe Mode. If you have the original Win7 installation CD, you do not need to buy a 'repair' disc from the Internet - all you need is on the original disc.

It won't.

Coincidentally Acer support came back to me with an e mail that the machine was set up on 64 bit but on checking the disc I bought was 32 bit could this be the problem? If so can I uninstall this disc through command prompts and then buy and install a 64 bit disc..

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
If you don't know enough to check whether to buy a 32 or 64-bit version of windows, just stop.
Take it to a local store, ask them to install XP, Win 7 or Win10, whichever you prefer. It will be much, much cheaper than the route you are taking.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I worked on the principal that 64 bit offered a lot more that I didnt need so it would be ok to install 32 bit. to do what I wanted it to do. What I need to do now is to either uninstall the Windows 7 or format the c drive so that is my next route on google unless somebody on here can give me simple details of how to do either.

D

Deleted member 22389

I worked on the principal that 64 bit offered a lot more that I didnt need so it would be ok to install 32 bit. to do what I wanted it to do. What I need to do now is to either uninstall the Windows 7 or format the c drive so that is my next route on google unless somebody on here can give me simple details of how to do either.

Seems to me things are so messed up, your better off completely wiping your machine and reinstalling.

1) Do you have a copy of Windows 7 32bit on DVD, if not I think you should buy one. Think Windows 7 is relatively cheap these days.

2) If you can get someone to help here, and have important files on that laptop that you can't get too, one option is to burn a linux distribution to usb pen. Set your bios to boot from USB and run the linux distribution in live mode, which will then give you access to your windows drive. From there you can transfer your files to an external hard drive before wiping your hard drive.

3) Reinstall Windows 7

Or as another user suggested, just take it to a computer shop before you start spending too much money.

Last edited by a moderator:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I do have a Windows 7 install disk but I believe that I have stumbled across my problem. Before installing Windows 7 I bought a larger hard drive but when replacing the existing one I didnt copy anything across I just took the old one out and put the new one in no installing or anything just replaced it. I think that I should have copied the old hard drive to an external hard drive or usb and then copied that to the new hard drive, So I am going to replace the new hard drive with the original and start all over again. I havent yet read on google how to start the copy from the usb/external hard drive to the new hard drive yet. It does say about just buying a lead and cloning one to the other but I havent looked into that yet.

I would add that I have nothing on the original hard drive that I wish to save except perhaps any windows drivers that are needed to install windows 7.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I do have a Windows 7 install disk but I believe that I have stumbled across my problem. Before installing Windows 7 I bought a larger hard drive but when replacing the existing one I didnt copy anything across I just took the old one out and put the new one in no installing or anything just replaced it. I think that I should have copied the old hard drive to an external hard drive or usb and then copied that to the new hard drive, So I am going to replace the new hard drive with the original and start all over again. I havent yet read on google how to start the copy from the usb/external hard drive to the new hard drive yet. It does say about just buying a lead and cloning one to the other but I havent looked into that yet.

BGpc.jpg

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
you may scoff, I dont care but with the help of posters on here and google I am learning things and enjoying doing it even if I do get a little frustrated. Time is not a problem to me so I can sit for hours to save spending money.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
you may scoff, I dont care but with the help of posters on here and google I am learning things and enjoying doing it even if I do get a little frustrated. Time is not a problem to me so I can sit for hours to save spending money.

Fair play to you, you're trying stuff I wouldn't mess with. Good luck :salute:

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
You can get the drivers from the internet,so I wouldnt worry about copying your old ones, they may well be out of date by now anyway. There are many ways to hook up the old disk to your laptop, for copying purposes so worry about that later one step at a time.. So, get the right Operating System installation and start again with the disk you want to use.
During the install, you should get an option to format that drive..

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

I would add that I have nothing on the original hard drive that I wish to save except perhaps any windows drivers that are needed to install windows 7.

You don't need any of those drivers on the old disk to install windows 7 on a new disk. Leave the new disk inserted and in the bios make sure you select boot from cd-rom to ensure the laptop boots the installation image on the disk then follow on screen prompts.

Before you do that it is worth considering if the machine you are trying to install windows 7 on is actually capable of running it. In the same way not every windows 7 machine can be upgraded to windows 10 the same applies to XP machines upgrading to 7, the drivers simply don't exist in those cases to make the newer OS work with the older hardware. You should check all of that on the manufactures website before even attempting to do the upgrade as if the drivers don't exist you'll be wasting your time as windows 7 will never function correctly on the laptop.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
You don't need any of those drivers on the old disk to install windows 7 on a new disk. Leave the new disk inserted and in the bios make sure you select boot from cd-rom to ensure the laptop boots the installation image on the disk then follow on screen prompts.

Before you do that it is worth considering if the machine you are trying to install windows 7 on is actually capable of running it. In the same way not every windows 7 machine can be upgraded to windows 10 the same applies to XP machines upgrading to 7, the drivers simply don't exist in those cases to make the newer OS work with the older hardware. You should check all of that on the manufactures website before even attempting to do the upgrade as if the drivers don't exist you'll be wasting your time as windows 7 will never function correctly on the laptop.

Acer website is useless I sent them an e mail asking if it was suitable for upgrade to Windows & and sll i got back was a bout 3 e mails sayin g that they needed my details in case it was chargeable support and there records didnt recognise the Serial Number or the SNID that I quioted. How else could I find out if it is possible to upgrade it or not?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Before you do that it is worth considering if the machine you are trying to install windows 7 on is actually capable of running it..

im quite sure we've been here before, and it isnt, hence getting a new hard drive in the first place.
@ bensgrandad use google to look for drivers to the laptop model on the Windows version before going on. if you cant find them, they probably dont exist and you will have nothing but problems. its admirable to want to reuse old hardware (Odin knows i've done plenty, i still have a PC with Pentium 133 knocking about), but the way to do this on anything hardware 10yr + is with Linux. Microsoft and the hardware companies dont want to support the old stuff, so support doesn't always exist a generation or two back. Windows versions increasingly consume vast amounts of memory and space so that old machine that run XP well wont run windows 7 well if at all.

D

Deleted member 22389

im quite sure we've been here before, and it isnt, hence getting a new hard drive in the first place.
@ bensgrandad use google to look for drivers to the laptop model on the Windows version before going on. if you cant find them, they probably dont exist and you will have nothing but problems. its admirable to want to reuse old hardware (Odin knows i've done plenty, i still have a PC with Pentium 133 knocking about), but the way to do this on anything hardware 10yr + is with Linux. Microsoft and the hardware companies dont want to support the old stuff, so support doesn't always exist a generation or two back.

Linux is fantastic on older hardware. Got the latest version of Lubuntu running on my 12 year old laptop. If all he wants to do is use the internet, write letters this would be the way to go.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Must consider Linux but at the moment the pc wont allow me to do anything. The situation is that there is an ethernet cable connected between the pc and the internet modem but no apparent connection to the internet so how do I move on from there. Should I replace the original hard drive?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Linux is fantastic on older hardware. Got the latest version of Lubuntu running on my 12 year old laptop. If all he wants to do is use the internet, write letters this would be the way to go.

This Acer Aspire is about the same age and I bought it from somebody on Gumtree who said that he was at work at the Royal Sussex Hospital so came to meet me with it during his break, at Lidl car park. I am really trying to make something out of nothing rather than lose the money that I paid him. I must say that although I am getting frustrated I am enjoying trying the various options given on here and spending very little money in so doing.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here