Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory party annual conference Birmingham

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Very few I would imagine. But, you could ask the same question about Labour - has anyone switched to Labour who voted for anyone else at the last election? Very, very few there either, I would guess

4million additional voters voted Labour in 2017 than in 2015, a 10% increase in vote share, so somebody switched somewhere along the line.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
4million additional voters voted Labour in 2017 than in 2015, a 10% increase in vote share, so somebody switched somewhere along the line.

3.5m. But the Tories went up by nearly 2,5m too.

Labour - 9.347,273
Tory - 11,334,226

Labour - 12,878,460
Tory - 13,636,684

UKIP lost nearly 3.5m votes and the SNP and the Greens lost around 0.5m each. Didn't Labour find a fair few votes down the back of the sofa?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
3.5m. But the Tories went up by nearly 2,5m too.

Labour - 9.347,273
Tory - 11,334,226

Labour - 12,878,460
Tory - 13,636,684

UKIP lost nearly 3.5m votes and the SNP and the Greens lost around 0.5m each. Didn't Labour find a fair few votes down the back of the sofa?

Just goes to show there are more voters who change parties than people may think.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Just goes to show there are more voters who change parties than people may think.

Pretty unusual conditions last time round though, surely, given the collapse of "our job is done" UKIP and some disenchantment with SNP North of the border.

And, as I say, the 1m or so people Labour found down the back of the sofa who'd not voted before.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Pretty unusual conditions last time round though, surely, given the collapse of "our job is done" UKIP and some disenchantment with SNP North of the border.

And, as I say, the 1m or so people Labour found down the back of the sofa who'd not voted before.

I think there are many of our fans who vote left, right, left.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think there are many of our fans who vote left, right, left.

I was accused of lacking conviction on this thread (or maybe another one) for not blindly voting the same way each and every time. It's good to know there are a lot of other wishy washy types out there too.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was accused of lacking conviction on this thread (or maybe another one) for not blindly voting the same way each and every time. It's good to know there are a lot of other wishy washy types out there too.

And being a troll don't forget. :thumbsup:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

On the subject of people who haven't voted before, I find it incredible that you can turn up at a polling station on polling day, with no ID, without your polling card, tell someone your name, and vote.

If such a system operated in, for example, Zimbabwe, we'd be calling electoral fraud/joke democracy etc.....

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

The question was about those "that didn't vote Tory in the last election". The last election was in 2017, not 2015.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I think the speech was about as good as could be expected for her. It made perfect sense to focus on Corbyn because he's utterly useless in myriad ways. If she wants my vote though she'll have to do a lot more.

The crowing about windrush and immigration benefits given her recent and Home Office history left a pretty sour taste. 'End of austerity' is obviously utter bollocks. I suppose I'll have to be happy that it is now obvious she's steering Brexit towards customs union, free movement etc and that she recognises No Deal for the disaster it would be.

I don't care about the dancing and can see why the PR team decided to lead with it.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The question was about those "that didn't vote Tory in the last election". The last election was in 2017, not 2015.

I could have sworn your post asked a separate question:

Very few I would imagine. But, you could ask the same question about Labour - has anyone switched to Labour who voted for anyone else at the last election? Very, very few there either, I would guess

:shrug:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I could have sworn your post asked a separate question:

"Last" election. Last, last, last - last election was 2017, not 2015. What is it that you can't seem to understand the difference between the last election and the election before last?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
"Last" election. Last, last, last - last election was 2017, not 2015. What is it that you can't seem to understand the difference between the last election and the election before last?

Oh I see, I was dealing with facts, you were dealing in hypothesis. My bad.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Even if she came on stage and did a Mata Hari style 'dance of the seven veils' it wouldn't impress many. But it would be the same if Jezza decided to perform a Chippendales routine.

True, but then Jezza ROCKED Glastonbury!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Oh I see, I was dealing with facts, you were dealing in hypothesis. My bad.

:facepalm: No, you were trying to respond to a question about possible changes since the last election with an answer relative to a completely different period, the period between the last two elections. Your bad indeed.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
:facepalm: No, you were trying to respond to a question about possible changes since the last election with an answer relative to a completely different period, the period between the last two elections. Your bad indeed.

Completely different, yes I did the last election to the one before, you were doing last election to the one that hasn't been yet. Well worth a facepalm or two. :lolol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Completely different, yes I did the last election to the one before, you were doing last election to the one that hasn't been yet. Well worth a facepalm or two. :lolol:
Actually, if you paid attention, or bothered to read the whole thing before posting, I was replying to someone else's post which was specifically about possible shifts since the last election. Why you decided to go somewhere else altogether with your comments, while apparently trying to somehow discredit mine, I don't know. Perhaps you thought you were being clever? If I were you, I'd check this particular conversation back all the way to where it started, and then withdraw before you start to look silly.

Sorry......sillier.......

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here