Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Poor Serena

Stumpy Tim

So our ladies are playing in the premier league and are professional,should they earn the same as the men, though the standard is very poor and hardly anyone watches despite the efforts of the club?

That is a better point, but I would argue the quality is very different. Serena is arguably the greatest female tennis player of all time

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
That is a better point, but I would argue the quality is very different. Serena is arguably the greatest female tennis player of all time

But that is judging her against her peers, not male players. Look at the Diamond league in athletics. There is equality because the women compete in pretty much the same disciplines and the prize money is the same. Away from the track they train as much as tennis players. Your argument would suggest the women should be running shorter differences!!!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Actually I can see Serena's point. There is inconsistency in application of penalties in tennis. Just look at the behaviour of Kyrious over the last few years and the amount he has got away with. I don't know enough about tennis to know whether it is sexism but would be interested to see the subject researched. Having said that Serena's behaviour was pretty poor.

From the Beeb.

"Ramos has given Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray code violations in the past two years."

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
But that is judging her against her peers, not male players. Look at the Diamond league in athletics. There is equality because the women compete in pretty much the same disciplines and the prize money is the same. Away from the track they train as much as tennis players. Your argument would suggest the women should be running shorter differences!!!
They only run the 100m hurdles whilst the men run the 110m hurdles. It’s disgraceful.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So our ladies are playing in the premier league and are professional,should they earn the same as the men, though the standard is very poor and hardly anyone watches despite the efforts of the club?
At the end of the day that would just create a multi million pound yearly loss for Tony. I reckon that's his call if he wants to make that annual loss or not.

larus

This is the reality. On the WTA tour the prize money is less, because the attendances are less at the events. Simple fact. The men’s game is the biggest draw of the 2. If they split the slams over different fortnights, then the gates would be higher for the men’s 2 weeks rather than the ladies.

Getting back to Serena - never really liked her much. It’s easy to seem nice when you’re winning most things, but the true nature comes out in defeat. People like to run Andy Murray down about his outbursts/rants during play, but I can’t recall a time when he’s reacted badly to losing. (I could be wrong). Federer has mainly seemed gracious too.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
No, because the standard is very poor and hardly anyone watches despite the efforts of the club.

Quite.

And results like today's opener of Aston Villa 0 Manchester United 12 in the Women's Championship doesn't exactly suggest as comparably competitive a league as the one the Albion men got promoted from.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45464817

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Serena Williams has today been fined $17,000 (£13,162).

She received $1,850,000 in prize money for finishing runner-up.

That'll teach her.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Never mind, the Ryder Cup its on its way soon. Thankfully not in the US this time, but presumably there'll still be a contingent of red-faced overweight Yanks bellowing "Get in da hole" into the Europeans' faces.

....and I suppose the European fans don't get up to any antics?
I've stopped going after witnessing groups deliberately orchestrating subtle and deliberate acts to put off opponents. Not my idea of sport.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Quite.

And results like today's opener of Aston Villa 0 Manchester United 12 in the Women's Championship doesn't exactly suggest as comparably competitive a league as the one the Albion men got promoted from.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/45464817

That is a terrible comparison since Manchester came back at the highest level in a brand new league system and they could and of course will smash everyone.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Not read the whole thread but what annoys me the most is the credibility being given to Williams’ attempts to play the sexism card.

She was losing, behaved like a spoilt brat, got penalised and lost.

Rather than focus on this side of things, the likes and King and Barker are more interested in the”it wouldn’t have happened if it was a man” which is just pathetic.

The umpire was entirely within the rules. This sexism stuff is now getting way out of hand and it seems like women can play this card to defend any form of unacceptable behaviour.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
From the Beeb.

"Ramos has given Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray code violations in the past two years."

And on five live they pointed out he has never given a game penalty to a man?

Retired US tennis star Andy Roddick tweeted, "I've regrettably said worse and I've never gotten a game penalty."

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
And on five live they pointed out he has never given a game penalty to a man?

Retired US tennis star Andy Roddick tweeted, "I've regrettably said worse and I've never gotten a game penalty."

Maybe because they knew when to stop. After already having two code violations she's continued to call him a liar. Two times in the same rant he gave her a chance by taking a deep breath but she kept on pushing and pushing. Ok Roddick may have said worse but had he already had two code violations at that point when he said it.

The umpire who gave Kyrios a chance earlier in the tournament was disaplined and didn't umpire another big match for the rest of the tournament, bit like a premier league ref being sent to league one.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Maybe because they knew when to stop. After already having two code violations she's continued to call him a liar. Two times in the same rant he gave her a chance by taking a deep breath but she kept on pushing and pushing. Ok Roddick may have said worse but had he already had two code violations at that point when he said it.

The umpire who gave Kyrios a chance earlier in the tournament was disaplined and didn't umpire another big match for the rest of the tournament, bit like a premier league ref being sent to league one.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Williams could see the writing the wall (even if she couldn't see her coach coaching her) and didn't know how to counteract it! She had two warnings, the second being the point penalty. That's when she should have reigned it in but she didn't.

Some of the inane comments about that's no way to treat a great are ludicrous. Are they saying the umpire should treat players differently. Had Osaka had the outburst we wouldn't have all this fuss.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here