Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] What do you think the restrictions should be for away fans posting on NSC?

What do you think the restrictions should be for away fans posting on NSC?

• Total voters

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Away fans should be able to post what they like. Any policing should be done by the Nazi mods. That is what they are there for.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
"no restrictions" in as much as, the same restrictions the rest of us face (such as not being allowed to post things that could get the site in trouble, not allowed offensive insults etc).

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I always try and be not too much of a **** and only post to defend some outrageous miss truths that are sometimes written as fact.

I also come on hear as reading the Palace fans moaning and groaning about every thing Palace on the BBS or HO get a bit much but reading Brighton fans (or some other clubs) moaning and groaning about all things Brighton just confirms to me that most football fans are pretty bi-polar, and your one win away from greatness or one loss away from abject failure.

Not only that I live in Sussex and spend a lot of time in Brighton going to gigs , I also watch Sussex County cricket at Hove and elsewhere.

But I do try to be nice even when the big boys are being nasty to me.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I feel the same in that open debate should be allowed, but the one issue I have with these types of questions is where exactly is the line between a troll and a legitimate poster? Should that line be clearly drawn out or should a user be banned based on context?
Yes, I was struggling with that when coming up with the poll options.

Personally I feel that if we're saying a particular player (manager, team) of theirs is crap, they should be able to disagree and point out the merits of said player (manager, etc). I don't even mind them saying what they feel are the weaknesses of our players, manager, team etc. But so many of them just repeatedly post nonsense to try and annoy us. Correcting them is easy, but obviously they just ignore that and repeat their crap. It's like when 8 and 10 year old siblings are trying to wind each other up and the parents are having to put up with it. I'd rather they were banned from such arguments and had to stick to fair opinion on the subject.

Hans Kraay says to report them, but I've never reported a poster for trolling, as I have no idea what the rules and criteria are (if indeed there are any).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Tried to vote for three AND four. I think that away fans should behave respectfully as they are guests on a Brighton forum. I suppose a lot depends on how pro-active the modding is - how much time do/can the Mods spare to monitor these boards?

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hans Kraay says to report them, but I've never reported a poster for trolling, as I have no idea what the rules and criteria are (if indeed there are any).

Just report anything that YOU feel isn't acceptable.

If the moderators agree with you, they'll act* on it. If they don't, they won't.

(*and 'act' on it, doesn't mean BAN EVERYONE. It might mean a minor infraction 'for irritating behaviour'. It might simply mean a mod sends a pm to the poster in question explaining that they are welcome on the site but to tone it down a bit. )

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I always try and be not too much of a **** and only post to defend some outrageous miss truths that are sometimes written as fact.
That's how it should be IMO. If all the away posters were like you I wouldn't have started this thread. I don't recall you taking the piss or being a prat. You're not alone, but I think you are in a minority :)

But I do try to be nice even when the big boys are being nasty to me.
You are an angel.

If I was reading a Palace forum, I'd expect to see piss-taking about our club, and plenty of miss truths. I don't go there and try to correct them (I wouldn't be allowed to anyway), but I'd prefer if Palace fans weren't repeating them here even after they've been corrected. Obviously you'll get some miss truths about Palace here, but you're free to say if you disagree.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm currently on the fence between option 3 and 4.

Good thread, Trig. I am with you here. But as a general point I have a feeling that the banning by mods has got quite lax in recent months. The banning list, which I assume autopopulates, has barely changed this year. My feeling is that one-month ban could usefully be dished out much more often, not just for palace trolling (which as you say is hard to define). If you look back on the banning history page you will see lots of people getting short bans (or even a whole year in one case) and coming back on, only to carry on being twats without any come-back. That is a bit feeble. As for trolling, we have posters who deliberately target individuals in a low hand way, repetedly starting threads that refer to postes (if not actually naming them - the eejit ernest does this), and the hallmark is to post something then stand back to admire the ensuing bin fest without comment. I don't mind people who are provocative and then defend themselves (or apologise - it does happen) but the trolling is just like pissing in a bottle and tossing it over a wall into someone's garden, mindless of whether it lands harmlessly or smashes down on someone's head, just for the thrill of hearing the sound of glass smashing, or someone cry out. Mods - you need to get tougher, in my view.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I’d have no restrictions. NSC is almost alone in football forums in allowing away fans on and banter to commence at a decent level. Clearly if this is abused then they get banned but personally I think the board would be a worse place without them.

Fortunately our main rivals are largely made up of dim witted fools who couldn’t win an argument if their life depended on it so we also have that upper hand!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes, I was struggling with that when coming up with the poll options.

Personally I feel that if we're saying a particular player (manager, team) of theirs is crap, they should be able to disagree and point out the merits of said player (manager, etc). I don't even mind them saying what they feel are the weaknesses of our players, manager, team etc. But so many of them just repeatedly post nonsense to try and annoy us. Correcting them is easy, but obviously they just ignore that and repeat their crap. It's like when 8 and 10 year old siblings are trying to wind each other up and the parents are having to put up with it. I'd rather they were banned from such arguments and had to stick to fair opinion on the subject.

I have, and someone was banned (he was replying to my posts with quotes, changing what I'd written in a 'humorous' way, so that it read like I was 'seeking gay sex' etc). He was Palace I understand. But that was some years ago. I have reported others more recently and nowt happened. So these days I simply block people who annoy me, but I draw the line at fans of other clubs - if they annoy me its they who should be banned. So I guess I would advocate letting them post away but lowering the threshold for bans (with more use of the report button, and more response from the mods when it is used). Consider how well the talking to, the yellow and the red cards have impacted on the way footy itself works, with thugs like Hunter and 'chopper' Harris, and even elbowing cheats like Shearer (yes, him) being unable to steal a living in todays climate. Some of the nobbers on here have, I suspect, not even been sent a quiet word (judging by their unmodfied (geddit??!!) behaviour).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I’d have no restrictions. NSC is almost alone in football forums in allowing away fans on and banter to commence at a decent level. Clearly if this is abused then they get banned but personally I think the board would be a worse place without them.
But there are options between no restrictions and not having away fans at all. And IMO the no restrictions is abused, as several of them are posting wind-up crap all the time. Tossing bottles of piss over the wall, as Harry put it. Many of us have Palace friends in real life, and we have banter with them, but we don't troll each other, or we wouldn't bother seeing them. Banter is fine, but a lot of what's on here is just lobbing bottles of piss.

Fortunately our main rivals are largely made up of dim witted fools who couldn’t win an argument if their life depended on it so we also have that upper hand!
True, but although any sensible person reading would know they've lost the argument, that doesn't mean anything when they just repeat their nonsense as if they've been proven right. Discussions with Palace fans too regularly turn into the equivalent of the Brexit thread.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Grass.
and someone was banned (he was replying to my posts with quotes, changing what I'd written in a 'humorous' way, so that it read like I was 'seeking gay sex' etc).
Blimey. I don't know if there are any rules against trolling, but that's onto homophobia.

I have reported others more recently
Grass.
and nowt happened.
Well they may have had a little infraction, or their trolling has been deemed fair game. Too lenient in my view.
So these days I simply block people who annoy me
Liar (given the fact you're still reading my posts :D )

but I draw the line at fans of other clubs - if they annoy me its they who should be banned. So I guess I would advocate letting them post away but lowering the threshold for bans
Agreed.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
No restrictions, it's part of what makes this site great as they can and often do contribute to all areas of discussion. Limiting or banning them would affect that and reduce the collective knowledge and advice that may be offered if someone is asking about an obscure subject matter

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
They should be allowed to engage, for sure. Some of our fans are way to precious about it.

If they do cross a line, and are really trolling, report the posts, and if the mod team agree, they infract or ban the miscreant.

Other than that, I'm not in favour of censoring opinions.

I have reported trolling, but the mod team seem to disagree with my idea of trolling and theirs, although I realise we don't see infractions.
I agree, free to post, but no trolling.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Define decent banter. Some of what Typical Palace, and Dougie post isn't banter let alone decent, it is boring trolling.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Blimey. I don't know if there are any rules against trolling, but that's onto homophobia.

That's true but what I failed to properly explain was that the poster replied with my 'quote' but changed my quote and, rather than adding the standard 'edited for you', would simply reply to the 'quote' as if it were my actual quote, so the casual reader (and there are many) would assume that the quote was what I actually wrote. I think this may actually be illegal (false representation or somesuch - laws ain't my thing). I'm not especially bothered what people think of me on NSC but I would prefer not to be thought of as a racist homophobic illiterate gimboid. I have some pride. Also, imagine if this were to happen, say, to someone who is planning a career in public office - MP for example. It could be career threatening if it became known that said fellow had posted all manner of drivelling bollocks on NSC (real or countrfeit). Imagine!

:lolol:

ps I wouldn't dream of putting you on ignore. Your are far from unique in having on rare occasion got on my pecs, but that's a far cry from the sort of gleeful nobbery that typically triggers the 'you are dead to me' reflex :thumbsup:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here