Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex by the Sea: Which version of the words do you want to see on the big screens?

Sussex by the Sea: Which version of the words do you want to see on the big screens?

• A

Votes: 37 29.4%
  • B

Votes: 77 61.1%
  • C

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • D

Votes: 7 5.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

albiongirl

Jul 10, 2003
mileoak
I don't agree with the song being on the screen it should be how it is now with the music cutting out before the end. We would be ridiculed!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I don't agree with the song being on the screen it should be how it is now with the music cutting out before the end. We would be ridiculed!
By who, and why would we care? Do you actually have that thin of a skin?

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
We REALLY need modernise the first verse.

Let our hearts be gay, hark to the merry bugles?

It will never catch on.
Don't be afraid of the dark??
The sweet silver song of the lark??

In any case, the words to SBTS are magnificent. Good enough for the men and women of Sussex who risked their lives and died in the mud - and all those who choose to continue to honour them now and use their song as a source of local pride.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
We REALLY need modernise the first verse.

Let our hearts be gay, hark to the merry bugles?

It will never catch on.

I hope you are fishing, but personally I think just like 'stand or fall' 'hearts be gay' is part of our heritage and history.
Sussex by the Sea is woven into the fabric of our football club, and just because some spotty away fans will go 'look they said their homosexual' do we really care? We should just laugh at them.
We shouldn't change the words one bit, it's a massive nod to our past and remembering where we have come from, and all the young men who died 100 years ago for us.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Don't be afraid of the dark??
The sweet silver song of the lark??

In any case, the words to SBTS are magnificent. Good enough for the men and women of Sussex who risked their lives and died in the mud - and all those who choose to continue to honour them now and use their song as a source of local pride.

:salute:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Depends where we are at the time.

If we are chasing promotion and are still in the cup it should be "going up, too win the cup", but if we not in the cup it should be "we're out of the cup, but we are going up", and if we are in a relegation battle as we are today it should be "stand or fall"

A bit of organised flexability and no ridged rules should be applied as appropriate .

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I hope you are fishing, but personally I think just like 'stand or fall' 'hearts be gay' is part of our heritage and history.
Sussex by the Sea is woven into the fabric of our football club, and just because some spotty away fans will go 'look they said their homosexual' do we really care? We should just laugh at them.
We shouldn't change the words one bit, it's a massive nod to our past and remembering where we have come from, and all the young men who died 100 years ago for us.

I very much doubt if away fans take much notice of our screens before the match, apart from maybe checking their teams lineup.

As you say, the words should stay the same.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
I agree with the sentiment, but it wouldn't be an insult to modernise it for the sake of the football and modern generations - afterall, we've done it with the chorus.

"Hark to the merry bugles" is particularly dated, it's Edwardian language that people will not be able to relate to, or even understand. I don't think it would be a disservice to GOSBTS to modernise it so that all fans young and old can relate to it, learn the words and will sing it for years to come.

the "let your hearts be gay" should be modernised for similar reasons, the word is almost exclusively used to describe homosexuality in the 21st century - I am confident that younger fans would not feel passionate about singing this.

I'm under 25, would consider myself 'young' and I'll sing it with passion.

I would much rather have a song which is rich in our culture rather than some modernised 21st century up to date corporate rubbish which would be the alternative . 'Hark to the merry bugles' or 'let's get down with the trumpets for the Seagulls' there is no contest whatsoever.

I can relate to GOSBTS, it reminds me of all the young men, our age who died fighting so that in 100 years, we would still be free from an occupation force. 100 years ago, the vast majority of posters on NSC would have fought and died in the mud on the Western Front, I think it's naive to say people won't understand it.

The proper words will help educate those who don't know the history behind it, so they will know of the ultimate sacrifice made for them and their children, which can only be a positive. Tradition doesn't have be be a bad thing.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I agree with the sentiment, but it wouldn't be an insult to modernise it for the sake of the football and modern generations - afterall, we've done it with the chorus.

"Hark to the merry bugles" is particularly dated, it's Edwardian language that people will not be able to relate to, or even understand. I don't think it would be a disservice to GOSBTS to modernise it so that all fans young and old can relate to it, learn the words and will sing it for years to come.

the "let your hearts be gay" should be modernised for similar reasons, the word is almost exclusively used to describe homosexuality in the 21st century - I am confident that younger fans would not feel passionate about singing this.
These are fair points and to have the whole ground singing a modernised version (NB without clapping) would be fantastic.

It would not, however, be anything like as stirringly powerful and inspirational as having the whole ground singing with pride and feeling the original words. The words that provide a direct and meaningful connection to the brave men and women of Sussex who gave their lives for their country and our county by the sea.

PS
You don't have to be Stephen Fry to realise anything that makes people think twice about using "gay" as a term of abuse might be a good thing too...

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

I would much rather have a song which is rich in our culture rather than some modernised 21st century up to date corporate rubbish which would be the alternative . 'Hark to the merry bugles' or 'let's get down with the trumpets for the Seagulls' there is no contest whatsoever.

I can relate to GOSBTS, it reminds me of all the young men, our age who died fighting so that in 100 years, we would still be free from an occupation force. 100 years ago, the vast majority of posters on NSC would have fought and died in the mud on the Western Front, I think it's naive to say people won't understand it.

The proper words will help educate those who don't know the history behind it, so they will know of the ultimate sacrifice made for them and their children, which can only be a positive. Tradition doesn't have be be a bad thing.
:salute: Top post. Naive and patronising to think that people, let alone younger people, won't "get it"...

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Brilliant post. :thumbsup:
[MENTION=1877]supaseagull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=451]BensGrandad[/MENTION] some good reasons to have the original version here.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Just seen this thread. I'm not gonna read the whole thread but it's GOT to be B.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here