Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] David Button for £4m? [Now: signed]

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Agree wouldn't touch FF, plus if he goes on loan they'll want him to be playing. Can't see him being loaned to sit on a bench, just to compete for the chance to play 3 games after Xmas.

I doubt Stains will care if he is playing... they won’t be loaning him out to develop him just to get him off the wage bill.

Massive NO from me though

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Button still on according to Naylor... I'd rather we signed an actual button than FF TBH...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is he too short or too tall?

The Tactician

Feb 18, 2013
Singed

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
The plus point is that Ben Roberts was Buttons GK coach at Charlton so will know all about him his ability and faults so if he is happy to sign him so am I.

Agreed. Roberts had Stockdale being mentioned for the England squad, Maty Ryan has flourished under his guidance, if anyone is going to get the best out Button it’s Ben Roberts.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I’ll trust the clubs judgement on this but I can’t help but feel we don’t have the strength in depth in the GK position that we had last season when we had 3 full internationals covering the position. Pray for a snowy January.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Regardless of what the club says, I'm struggling to see that there is anything like genuine competition for the starting position here, although I don't think we've had that for the GK position for a long, long time, so I'm not particularly fussed about it.

Certainly interesting to see which of the two back-ups gets the nod in Ryan's absence though.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Regardless of what the club says, I'm struggling to see that there is anything like genuine competition for the starting position here, although I don't think we've had that for the GK position for a long, long time, so I'm not particularly fussed about it.

Certainly interesting to see which of the two back-ups gets the nod in Ryan's absence though.

I think that will depend on who shapes up best in training under Ben Roberts

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Two very average keepers signed. Premier league quality ? I have major doubts.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Agreed.

Presumably the keeper on the bench at Watford is the default #2 (at least to start with)?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agreed. Roberts had Stockdale being mentioned for the England squad, Maty Ryan has flourished under his guidance, if anyone is going to get the best out Button it’s Ben Roberts.

Quite true.

Personally, think he's starting at a lower level than previously though, particularly with Button.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
To say I’m underwhelmed with the two goalkeeping signings would be an understatement.

However I do trust Roberts who seems to get the best out of all the keepers he has worked with.

I can’t imagine it’s an easy sell to get a keeper to come here when they know Mat Ryan is going to be ahead of you and not going to get much game time.... the fact we have lost two keepers this summer shows that.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Given that Button has signed a 3 year deal and Steele a 2 year deal, potentially with Walton coming into the picture next season we would have 4 first team goalkeepers on the books.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Given that Button has signed a 3 year deal and Steele a 2 year deal, potentially with Walton coming into the picture next season we would have 4 first team goalkeepers on the books.

Steele signed for 3 years

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
I’ll trust the clubs judgement on this but I can’t help but feel we don’t have the strength in depth in the GK position that we had last season when we had 3 full internationals covering the position. Pray for a snowy January.

With all due respect, Maenpaa and Krul were hardly regulars with their respective international sides. Maenpaa has played 26 times with his last being a solitary game in the 2016 season and Krul has 8 caps with his last being in 2015.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here