Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Do you live in Worthing?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Pulling people up on their spelling and grammar on another thread isn't very smart for someone like you.........

Do you really have nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon than go trolling on here? Get a life you silly old ****.

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
Having enjoyed my first two months living here I look forward to been totally disillusioned in due course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
I don't live there but go often as I do a lot of work there.

The Crab-Shadk is one of mine and my family's favourite seafood restaurants. I won't go into detail, try it and find out for yourselves. It doesn't disappoint.

I suppose if I was to live there is choose somewhere around Little High Streer area. 10 mins from seafront, 5 from shops but very quiet and residential. and on one side of the road you've got Waitrose and on the other, Lidl.

It does seem to have a bit of a problem with street drinkers and there seems to be quite a lot of Muslims there, which rightly or wrongly would put me off moving to an area.

Do you really have nothing better to do on a Sunday afternoon than go trolling on here? Get a life you silly old ****.
Don't you ?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If you say so.
Some people like to bury their heads and say everything is rosey, others look at the real world and say it as it is.
My life is, and always has been happier away from the cesspit called Worthing.
And thanks for the kiss sweetheart ��
If you think Worthing is a cesspit I'd hazard a guess you're not that well travelled throughout the U.K. And certainly not beyond.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Walking from Brighton station to the Komedia this evening I was asked for money four times in varying terms of aggression. It's a long time since I've been accosted in Worthing but, hey, just goes
to show how one person's experience can differ from another.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Its really amusing to see how quickly people turn to personal digs and how put out they feel when someone says they don't like their home town.
Quite sad that adults act like that, but it's making me giggle so it's all good.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So, has anyone written to The Gaurdian yet?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Indeed, I live in North Worthing and work in Liverpool, the contrast is pretty stark
I moved from Seaford to Liverpool and lived there 14 years. Now I live in Eastbourne and the contrast could not be more stark as you say. Anyone can have trouble anywhere, but to compare Worthing, which is a similarly good town to Eastbourne, with a big city such as London, Manchester or Liverpool would be ridiculous. If I didn't live in Eastbourne, is happily live in Worthing.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've lived in Worthing most my life apart from 1 year in London. Perfectly happy with it and don't think there has been a better time to leave here, a lot of good locally owned/run restaurants and pubs and not a massive invasion of chains which I see as a positive. High street in town could do with sorting out particularly down Rowlands Road end but pretty much anywhere has areas like that.

Also seems to be some good events in evenings being run at the moment, I noticed Norman Jay DJ'd at St Pauls at the weekend which is pretty cool and looked packed out.

I think if I was 18 now I'd be a bit disappointed with the nightlife to be honest, but for now happy with the many good pubs we have and London for any 'proper' nights out.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Grew up in Worthing and have lived in Brighton for 6 years now.

It's a strange place for me. It's where my history is and that's both a good and a bad thing. I think the town you grow up in exists in a place beyond judgement really. Your views of it are so influenced by what you experienced in it.

It's nice to go back to though. There's that sense of complete familiarity with the route back to your family home which I quite like. I don't get that in Brighton because it isn't my home, not really, it's just where I live.

My parents are there obviously so I go every couple of weeks and every Christmas Eve I meet up with my friends I don't see very often (they're all back in town seeing their families) for a big drink.

It's a bit of a s**thole in certain parts, sure, but that's the same for every town.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Grew up in Worthing and have lived in Brighton for 6 years now.

It's a strange place for me. It's where my history is and that's both a good and a bad thing. I think the town you grow up in exists in a place beyond judgement really. Your views of it are so influenced by what you experienced in it.

It's nice to go back to though. There's that sense of complete familiarity with the route back to your family home which I quite like. I don't get that in Brighton because it isn't my home, not really, it's just where I live.

My parents are there obviously so I go every couple of weeks and every Christmas Eve I meet up with my friends I don't see very often (they're all back in town seeing their families) for a big drink.

It's a bit of a s**thole in certain parts, sure, but that's the same for every town.

I've lived in Brighton for 20 years but grew up in Worthing and I still think of myself as a Worthing boy at heart and would never refer to myself as a Brightonian. It's strange but being away for so long, I've come to love the place and feel quite proud of it having hated growing up there but there's definitely a different vibe about the town now and I always look forward to returning there. It's certainly more friendly than Brighton, it's generally much cleaner too. I've got some friends that work really hard to get a decent nightlife going in Worthing - they're associated with the Atom Productions and Inappropriate Handclap DJs and they deserve lots of plaudits.

I wish Worthing Council was a bit more creative though and was willing to invest to make it a great family-oriented tourist venue. My brother's missus inherited a holiday home in El Campello halfway between Benidorm and Alicante and I went there with @Wilko and @Tony Meolas Loan Spell. The whole town was geared to being a family destination. The shops and bars and restaurants and beach were all family friendly and there weren't any big nightclubs or stag-do type places, they left that to Alicante and Benidorm. Worthing really should do something similar. It can't and shouldn't try to compete with Brighton for the same crowds, offer something different to the family crowds.

Edit - and I know I've said it before but Worthing promenade and beach are so under-rated.

Last edited:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Its really amusing to see how quickly people turn to personal digs and how put out they feel when someone says they don't like their home town.
Quite sad that adults act like that, but it's making me giggle so it's all good.

I am struggling to work out what response you expected.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I am Worthing born and bred so feel the need to stick up for the place.

To make a footballing analogy it is a sleeping giant in the same way people talk about Plymouth Argyle. Massive potential, but it has never been properly tapped into.

Years and years of changing strategy by the local council, which has frequently switched between Lib Dem and Conservatives has not helped.

But fundamentally it is a very good place. We have the downs and the sea, property prices are cheaper than Brighton, but you are still only a short train ride from Brighton. There are plenty of jobs, employment is good and growing. Traffic is an arseache, but that's the case most places now. Yes there are a lot of oldies, including my parents, but they shuffle about nice enough and don't cause any harm, other than the odd car accident where a 90 year old ploughs into a brick wall for no reason.

The seafront area is improved. One day they may sort out Teville Gate, one day they may get a proper cinema, one day they may get a decent shopping centre. One day Worthing will be great. It's just not there yet. Think Plymouth Argyle or even dare I say it Brighton and Hove Albion. All the potential is there, it just needs running properly.

I've just moved out to Findon by the way :)

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I am struggling to work out what response you expected.

A discussion would have been nice, instead I get pathetic comments directed at me.
Like I said, I find it amusing that some people act so precious when someone doesn't like the area they live in. It's like I've killed their cat or something.
I live in Brighton, I like Brighton, if you don't then who cares? To each their own. I personally think that in terms of places I've lived, Worthing comes in (quite fittingly) at number 2, just behind lancing.
Some people on here just seem to be incapable of having a grown up conversation, makes me laugh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here