Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Feeding the poor/homeless - POLITICS

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You never really know what they are going to buy with money that you give them.
The way to do it is to buy a Big Issue or give to The Salvation Army when they rattle their tins or sing carols or sell the War Cry.
2 very good organisations.

However, along with everyone else I see I walk straight by and feel guilty, so, to avoid being a total hypocrite, the next time I see them I will buy 10 and give them back to re-sell, it must be a nice feeling.

How would you feel if your boss paid you this month with Broccoli, Quorn and vitamin supplements, unless you are a big donor that might influence genuine outcomes for those rough sleepers and you feel inclined to give a couple of quid, just give it without prejudice.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
You never really know what they are going to buy with money that you give them.
The way to do it is to buy a Big Issue or give to The Salvation Army when they rattle their tins or sing carols or sell the War Cry.
2 very good organisations.
However, along with everyone else I see I walk straight by and feel guilty, so, to avoid being a total hypocrite, the next time I see them I will buy 10 and give them back to re-sell, it must be a nice feeling.

I just prefer to give the vendor the price of a Big Issue to put straight into their pockets.That way they get £3.75 from my £2.50 donation as soon as they sell the next copy!

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
May I use this thread to plug the charity that I support?

http://www.emmausbrighton.co.uk/

Emmaus Brighton & Hove is the largest Emmaus Community in the UK.
We have 48 resident Companions who staff our shops and café. We are situated in Portslade Old Village on the south coast of England 4 miles west of the centre of Brighton and a shop on the seafront road in Southwick which was once the Pilot pub.
Emmaus Communities enable people to move on from homelessness, providing work and a home in a supportive, family environment. Companions, as residents are known, work full time collecting and reselling donated furniture. This work supports the Community financially and enables residents to develop skills, rebuild their self-respect and help others in greater need.

Central to the work of an Emmaus community is helping others. Our founder said 'serve first the one who suffers most'. For more on this aspect of our work see our "How we help" section on this website.

Companions receive accommodation, food, clothing and a small weekly allowance, but for many, the greatest benefit is a fresh start. To join a Community, they sign off unemployment benefits and agree to participate in the life and work of the Community to the best of their abilities.

Emmaus is a secular movement with 350 communities and groups spanning 37 countries, with 25 Communities in the UK. Each Community aims to become self-supporting, with any surplus donated to others in need.

Thank you

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I just prefer to give the vendor the price of a Big Issue to put straight into their pockets.That way they get £3.75 from my £2.50 donation as soon as they sell the next copy!

We've got The Big Issue here as well, it is a good read and puts the homelessness problem and other issues into prospective.
I get every issue, but usually from a different vendor every time as I get around a lot.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

We have 48 resident Companions who staff our shops and café. We are situated in Portslade Old Village on the south coast of England 4 miles west of the centre of Brighton and a shop on the seafront road in Southwick which was once the Pilot pub.
Emmaus Communities enable people to move on from homelessness, providing work and a home in a supportive, family environment. Companions, as residents are known, work full time collecting and reselling donated furniture. This work supports the Community financially and enables residents to develop skills, rebuild their self-respect and help others in greater need.

Central to the work of an Emmaus community is helping others. Our founder said 'serve first the one who suffers most'. For more on this aspect of our work see our "How we help" section on this website.

Companions receive accommodation, food, clothing and a small weekly allowance, but for many, the greatest benefit is a fresh start. To join a Community, they sign off unemployment benefits and agree to participate in the life and work of the Community to the best of their abilities.

Emmaus is a secular movement with 350 communities and groups spanning 37 countries, with 25 Communities in the UK. Each Community aims to become self-supporting, with any surplus donated to others in need.

Thank you

When back in the UK, we used to get involved in a lot of home improvement projects and often had to pullout appliances that were working perfectly to replace with new.
We would give them a lick over, call Emmaus and they would come to pick them up.
I assumed that they went to people who did not have any, or were resold to raise funds, would rather see them used than dumped.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
When back in the UK, we used to get involved in a lot of home improvement projects and often had to pullout appliances that were working perfectly to replace with new.
We would give them a lick over, call Emmaus and they would come to pick them up.
I assumed that they went to people who did not have any, or were resold to raise funds, would rather see them used than dumped.

Sadly because of liability issues they are no longer able to take appliances, the same issues crop up if any sofas do not have a fire label.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Thank you

I love Emmaus in Portslade. Such a lovely house and gardens. We go there often for a browse and a spot of lunch or tea. Good quality stock and really nice people who run the place.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
If I see a homeless person I will usually give them some money or a coffee/sandwich, because I feel it is the right thing to do. Problem is, I could actually be arrested and cautioned/prosecuted for doing so under section 35 of the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014. This is fairly new legislation which the Police and local authorities are using in ways to basically stop people doing, well, anything that they don't like, which seems to include feeding homeless people.
Already in the USA, feeding homeless people is now 'illegal' in over 20 states, with arrests and prosecutions being undertaken by armed officers. The same appears to be happening in the UK. WTF is going on with our government!!

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1167...handing_out_food_to_the_homeless_in_Brighton/

http://streetskitchen.co.uk/we-must...ith-the-liverpool-women-convicted-for-caring/

Is that homeless you are referring to or beggars. How can you tell the difference ?

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Is that homeless you are referring to or beggars. How can you tell the difference ?

I don't find in necessary to recognise the difference. If i feel someone is in genuine need, I will give what I can. I use my own judgement on this one. I don't walk around with a cape on throwing sandwiches and coins at the great unwashed. 'Aggressive beggars' are not on my list, as are others that I feel are disingenuous. Every now and then I will make a human connection with someone slumped in a doorway or on a street somewhere and I will respond.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Don't really get beggars or street sleepers where I live but when I was in Brighton I started off giving money but that just got impossible with the amount of people asking for money so I stopped and changed to giving all my unwanted clothing and other helpful items to various homeless charities.
Now I have changed completely and all my charity goes to emmaus because they support people who want to work and contribute or The Dogs Trust because dogs are better than humans in many ways and cannot help themselves when people are dicks to them. I lived in Brighton for over twenty years and by and large the homeless community was made up of a hardcore set of drunks and drug users and they seemed to stay in that position with that lifestyle for two decades + as I still see the same faces whenever I go back. Come off it. If you're gonna spend 20 years on your arse with no attempt at change then you're not getting my charity. I know it's complicated but there's limits!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Usually a judgement call but there's a poor bloke who sits outside the Sainsbury's above London Road that I pass every morning on my way to the station and then another chap who murders tunes on his penny whistle up by the back entrance to the station who quite obviously are rough sleepers. I don't often give out spare change but I make exceptions for these two.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

I think I get where you are coming from. I do have my own rules on who I view as a genuine recipient of my money/gift, but they are not as clean cut as beggars no, homeless yes. Just out of interest, do you have doubts about either as a genuine cause?

Lush

Mods' Pet
Usually a judgement call but there's a poor bloke who sits outside the Sainsbury's above London Road that I pass every morning on my way to the station and then another chap who murders tunes on his penny whistle up by the back entrance to the station who quite obviously are rough sleepers. I don't often give out spare change but I make exceptions for these two.

Which is why they've been there for many many months, even though I'm sure they will have been approached with offers of help from the various charities by now.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Which is why they've been there for many many months, even though I'm sure they will have been approached with offers of help from the various charities by now.

I don't know these chaps' stories and it may be that they don't like the hostels or they may have mental problems or they are pulling a fast one but it's 50p or a quid every so often and a hope that they at least spend part of what they get given on a hot drink because these past few months has seen some horrible weather. At that time of the morning when I hate being out after leaving a warm bed I find it very difficult just to walk past these blokes.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I think I get where you are coming from. I do have my own rules on who I view as a genuine recipient of my money/gift, but they are not as clean cut as beggars no, homeless yes. Just out of interest, do you have doubts about either as a genuine cause?

Yes. There are alternatives for them other than begging. Even if they are homeless, they are begging on the street.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
and then another chap who murders tunes on his penny whistle up by the back entrance to the station who quite obviously are rough sleepers. .

yeah I have seen and heard him, I wonder to myself if the reason he is homeless could possibly have something to do with that penny whistle.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading

I can 100% understand your kindness and generosity, the problem is the Big Issue sellers have strict rules and if they do take that from you they could get their license to sell revoked. the guy the sells them in Reading used to ask for a coffee when I bought one of him. in theory he is not allowed to ask me that. So I would buy a coffee before buying the copy of the mag. Give him the money for the mag and offer him the coffee, so he did not have to ask.

It is worth reading up the rules that the big issue sellers have to abide by, if you have not done so already the last thing you would want is for their license to be revoked because of your kindness.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Many homeless people are dealing with disabilities. A lot of them can't physically or mentally work. I like to help them with the odd pound here and there as I'm aware, they're the ones this system doesn't and won't support.

The way our society is right now, you get the impression, If they can't make money, then they're worthless. Poor souls.

I'd rather give to the homeless than those street Chuggers/sales people who throw cancer, war, homelessness, etc around preventing the homeless from the generosity of the public, all whilst making a nice tidy sum for themselves.

Once we get rid of the true street pests, then the homeless stand more chance.

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I can 100% understand your kindness and generosity, the problem is the Big Issue sellers have strict rules and if they do take that from you they could get their license to sell revoked. the guy the sells them in Reading used to ask for a coffee when I bought one of him. in theory he is not allowed to ask me that. So I would buy a coffee before buying the copy of the mag. Give him the money for the mag and offer him the coffee, so he did not have to ask.

It is worth reading up the rules that the big issue sellers have to abide by, if you have not done so already the last thing you would want is for their license to be revoked because of your kindness.

Blimey! I never really thought there could be consequences for the vendor. I guess that it would be pretty hard to prove by The Big Issue against the vendor, although if they employ mystery shoppers the vendor could be caught red handed. Thanks for pointing that out though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here