Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Burnley preparing another bid for Stephens (but probably bollox Twitter rumour)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
In fairness to Ritchie, he probably thought one year down here and permanent Premier League football after that. Still a good chance that will happen even with Newcastle's dip in form.

Stephens to Villa would be completely different. No guarantee they will make the play offs and, even if they did, it would only be a one in four chance of going up. It would make a mockery of his claim to want Premier League football.

Having said that, I imagine it is made up Twitter rubbish like the new Burnley bid probably was.

HITC are usually fairly accurate with their tweets.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They can use any number of excuses/reasons to justify a sale. 'His heart wasn't at Brighton', 'didn't want another Murray situation', 'the offer was too good' ad infinitum.

It makes no sense to have played hard ball in the summer to then sell him now when he's worth less in money but worth more in team/football terms.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
It makes no sense to have played hard ball in the summer to then sell him now when he's worth less in money but worth more in team/football terms.

I agree and I hope DS stays. However, the circumstances could be different to the summer if the interested club made an acceptable bid early in the window and we had time to replace rather than use Burnley's they are bound to cave in eventually tactic. Like I say, I agree we should keep him but the circumstances could be a little different.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

Don't know anything about that website

However. Colin Calderwood would have been privy to all the previous offers that came in which were a lot more than £4m. He would have known that there is no way that level of fee would be successful. He will know the Chairmans thoughts on everything. Why then would they waste time with derisory bids?

Villa will know whether he could be prised away or not and if he can be prised away, they will know what and how it would take to do so. That being the case I don't think that report is anything other than guesswork.

I don't think we will sell now but if there is any chance we could sell and Villa really are after him then I would expect them to go straight in with whatever bid would be successful and certainly not that level of offer

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

So can we expect Stephens to leave the training ground in a huff in his new Porsche Cayenne sometime soon?

And if this rumour is true Colin Calderwood and Bruce can **** right off, which is paraphrasing what I expect Bloom to tell them.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
I believe he is, I would not be surprised if we were one of them too.
Only clubs outside England can (legally) talk to him in the last 6 months of his deal. Domestic clubs can (legally) start talking in the final month.

I say legally because if his agent hasn't been chatting "off the record" to other clubs, I'd be surprised.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Only clubs outside England can (legally) talk to him in the last 6 months of his deal. Domestic clubs can (legally) start talking in the final month.

I say legally because if his agent hasn't been chatting "off the record" to other clubs, I'd be surprised.

Thanks for the clarification. I too would be surprised if 'soundings' had not already been taken.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Sell him, cash in now before he walks for nothing. The petulant little sod clearly isn't getting with the program and that could be disruptive. I want to see Albion players that are 100% committed, if they're not they can fvck off as far as I'm concerned

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
Sell him, cash in now before he walks for nothing. The petulant little sod clearly isn't getting with the program and that could be disruptive. I want to see Albion players that are 100% committed, if they're not they can fvck off as far as I'm concerned

Is this tongue in cheek?
Seems pretty bloody integral to both our success and team spirit this season.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

Not seen any evidence of petulance or failure to get with the program. Where is the evidence to support this?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Is this tongue in cheek?
Seems pretty bloody integral to both our success and team spirit this season.

This
Not seen any evidence of petulance or failure to get with the program. Where is the evidence to support this?
And this.

Please give an example of petulance from him. Bear in mind, that I was a Birmingham away, and at Fulham, watching QPR on the box because I was ill, I saw a player still 100% committed, celebrating with his team mates, applauding the fans and generally having a big grin on his face.
I think your definition of petulance may be different to mine.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
This

And this.

Please give an example of petulance from him. Bear in mind, that I was a Birmingham away, and at Fulham, watching QPR on the box because I was ill, I saw a player still 100% committed, celebrating with his team mates, applauding the fans and generally having a big grin on his face.
I think your definition of petulance may be different to mine.

Spot on.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here