Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Zola. Birmingham City.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
You know that when a new manager comes in, especially this close to the next game, they normally don't get too involved until they've seen what they have to work with.

If thinking that Saturday's game will be difficult makes me a glass half full type of person then I bow to your obvious superior football knowledge.

Although in those cases its usually the old assistant manager or backroom staff directing things, but haven't they all got the boot too?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Although in those cases its usually the old assistant manager or backroom staff directing things, but haven't they all got the boot too?

Yep. That's what makes it a crazy decision.

If the new owners are, as they say, looking at a long-term vision for the club, I could *maybe* see what they are on about but a) football managers don't really DO long term and b) Zola doesn't appear to be the guy that will push the team on to see this 'vision' through.

Crazy situation; feel for Rowett and it highlights another thing I don't really get about football. In any other job you get sacked normally because you've broken company rules, not met targets or not done what is expected of you. Rowett had the team ticking over nicely, so what reason is given to terminate his contract? Or is it just a case of "Here's a shed load of money, Gary, let's call it mutual consent"?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
New Birmingham City boss Gianfranco Zola says he had to be "professional" about replacing Gary Rowett as manager.

Blues fans were shocked by the Chinese-owned club's decision to replace the immensely popular Rowett with the club eighth in the Championship table.
"The difficulty was that my predecessor was doing very well," Zola told BBC WM.
"Sometimes that makes it not easy for a new manager, but I'm professional, ??? (so professional in fact I will enter into discussions about taking a job while the current manager is still in charge) it was a good opportunity and I could not refuse it," (£££) added the Italian, 50.

Zola played against Birmingham twice during his illustrious career with Chelsea.
He scored in both matches in the 2002-03 season - a 3-0 win at Stamford Bridge and a 3-1 win at St Andrew's - as part of a Chelsea team that also contained future Birmingham players Mario Melchiot and Jesper Gronkjaer.
A return to the Premier League is the main target for the former West Ham and Watford boss.
"When I was first asked two days ago (Yeah right ???) I said it is fine for me," he said. "It is a good club with good players and I like these things. It is a chance to build something and get in the Premier League as quickly as possible.
"The fact that the previous manager had done very well will make it more of a challenge but it will also make me more focused to become more accepted."

Hughton 'shocked' by managerial change
Chris Hughton was appointed Birmingham boss by then acting chairman Peter Pannu in 2011
Brighton manager Chris Hughton, who takes his second-placed Seagulls side to Birmingham on Saturday, led Blues to the Championship play-offs in his one season in charge in 2011-12.
"My reaction was like most people, who were quite shocked," Hughton told BBC Sussex. "Gary's done a wonderful job in the period of time that he's been there and made real progress.
"In this day and age in football, there aren't many surprises, but that was one of them.
"It's wonderful to see Gianfranco back in the English game. Nobody will begrudge somebody of his stamp coming back in, but it will more a case of feeling for Gary. It's always sad to see a very good manager lose his job.
"We can only prepare ourselves like for any other game. They have some very good players and are now on the back of a good win against Ipswich."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here