Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Some really respectable times being posted. For those of us with a few more miles on the clock a sub 20 is a bit of a challenge. How about doing a parallel age graded challenge?
I'll put down a marker of 21:53 - but AG of around 73%. Any takers?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Some really respectable times being posted. For those of us with a few more miles on the clock a sub 20 is a bit of a challenge. How about doing a parallel age graded challenge?
21.53 gives me an age grade of about 61%.

On that basis: I'm out 😂

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Is there a place everyone meets before or after the 5k? I have ran Hove Park 5k on a number of occassions
Before the run it's by the climbing wall thing next to the tennis courts. Afterwards tends to be next to the barcode scanners.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
For the first time in months I managed to drag my sorry arse out of bed early on a Sunday morning.

No real aim in mind other than trying to be slow and steady, but did my half-marathon loop in reverse adding in a bit extra, covering 15.2m in the end which is my furthest to date.

Another first was that I was so thirsty that I had to stop and buy a drink en route.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Fully agree times from the past will not be revisited. I cannot use Age Grading with our NSC whippets as no use finishing a minute behind and saying I won. However as they have all gone beyond my present reach I will take you on on September 5th at Hove Park. 75.3% is my best this year but 73% is still a hard effort for me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If you're going to post the good ones then you have to post the bad ones......

I prepared badly it has to be said. Ribs, chilli hallumi and a bottle and a half of Rioja for which I blame myself, my wife and [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] who made me drink it :lolol:

Went out with just the notion of running as far as I could on about 9 minute miles to burn the calories back off. Prepared awfully having forgotten to vaseline above my eyes or take my prescription medicine, something I only realised after I'd done a mile. First two miles were fairly easy 9 minuters but on three I was very nearly visited by Hughy and Ralf and by four I was almost walking.

The cause of the legs stopping working soon became apparent as I realised MR HANKEY was coming to town and I was nowhere near El Pres's SHED. My legs may have stopped working but my stomach was on overtime.

If you view it on Strava - and please don't - you will see me do a zig zag of joy between the two public conveniences on Hove seafront as I dropped the kids at the pool not once but twice. At least the two enforced breaks got my breath back and I was able to complete the most shambolic eight miler since I first ran the distance.

It was the complete opposite of a progression run as I went slower and slower with every km. Also I'm sure [MENTION=17571]StonehamPark[/MENTION] is right about my shoes. They now feel totally flat and the outside sole looks very much like [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ;s picture of his knackered 15s. A new pair will be purchased on pay day.

Don't drink and run kids. It's not big and it's not clever.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
If you're going to post the good ones then you have to post the bad ones......

I prepared badly it has to be said. Ribs, chilli hallumi and a bottle and a half of Rioja for which I blame myself, my wife and [MENTION=29192]Brighton Lines[/MENTION] who made me drink it :lolol:

Went out with just the notion of running as far as I could on about 9 minute miles to burn the calories back off. Prepared awfully having forgotten to vaseline above my eyes or take my prescription medicine, something I only realised after I'd done a mile. First two miles were fairly easy 9 minuters but on three I was very nearly visited by Hughy and Ralf and by four I was almost walking.

The cause of the legs stopping working soon became apparent as I realised MR HANKEY was coming to town and I was nowhere near El Pres's SHED. My legs may have stopped working but my stomach was on overtime.

If you view it on Strava - and please don't - you will see me do a zig zag of joy between the two public conveniences on Hove seafront as I dropped the kids at the pool not once but twice. At least the two enforced breaks got my breath back and I was able to complete the most shambolic eight miler since I first ran the distance.

It was the complete opposite of a progression run as I went slower and slower with every km. Also I'm sure [MENTION=17571]StonehamPark[/MENTION] is right about my shoes. They now feel totally flat and the outside sole looks very much like [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] ;s picture of his knackered 15s. A new pair will be purchased on pay day.

Don't drink and run kids. It's not big and it's not clever.

Running past the sewage works towards shoreham harbour this morning there was an awful pong- I hope this was not related.

Early morning easy 10k along the sea front can't believe how warm it is already.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Fully agree times from the past will not be revisited. I cannot use Age Grading with our NSC whippets as no use finishing a minute behind and saying I won. However as they have all gone beyond my present reach I will take you on on September 5th at Hove Park. 75.3% is my best this year but 73% is still a hard effort for me.

Hi Knocky if that is a direct challenge it would be great. Just two probs: I tend to run the Bognor parkrun (not because it's a faster course; it just fits in with family stuff) and I'm actually working on 5th September. You obviously have some pedigree - I've only got up to the dizzy heights of 75% once I think, but I've hovered around the low 70s for a while. (I've just this year crept into the 60-64 category. You?)

I'll post my results up every now and then and perhaps we could 'get it on' soonish? BTW a 55-60 lady vet nearly beat me on Sat........ which keeps you humble!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Early morning easy 10k along the sea front can't believe how warm it is already.

Indeed - that might explain why I had to stop for a drink although today was the first time I've ever tucked a credit card behind my phone on my arm strap, so it was the also first time I was able to stop.

(Alternatively it would be the effects of last night's bottle of red.)

One observation from today: I find it really difficult to run intentionally slowly. I had it in mind to aim for 10m miles and thought I'd started out at something like that, but I was actually doing 9m miles - a pace I maintained until the 14th mile when I did slow due to fatigue and my usual uphill finish.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For the first time in months I managed to drag my sorry arse out of bed early on a Sunday morning.

No real aim in mind other than trying to be slow and steady, but did my half-marathon loop in reverse adding in a bit extra, covering 15.2m in the end which is my furthest to date.

Another first was that I was so thirsty that I had to stop and buy a drink en route.

If you're doing anything over an hour, particularly in this weather, really should be taking on fluid during the run - I'm guessing at 15m it was at least a couple of hours......500ml an hour minimum really, more when it's this warm. Your performance will deteriorate really, really quickly as you dehydrate.

Weather doesn't look helpful for my plans today which was for 15m on the Downs after lunch. Will be mostly walking I think !

My last parkrun was about 72%. Only plus point is my next birthday takes me into the next age cat [emoji3]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Indeed - that might explain why I had to stop for a drink although today was the first time I've ever tucked a credit card behind my phone on my arm strap, so it was the also first time I was able to stop.

(Alternatively it would be the effects of last night's bottle of red.)

One observation from today: I find it really difficult to run intentionally slowly. I had it in mind to aim for 10m miles and thought I'd started out at something like that, but I was actually doing 9m miles - a pace I maintained until the 14th mile when I did slow due to fatigue and my usual uphill finish.

.....with you on this. I find predetermined 'easy' runs (where I am supposed to run at 9mm) almost impossible. Much more comfortable at 8-8.15 on the road.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Hi Knocky if that is a direct challenge it would be great. Just two probs: I tend to run the Bognor parkrun (not because it's a faster course; it just fits in with family stuff) and I'm actually working on 5th September. You obviously have some pedigree - I've only got up to the dizzy heights of 75% once I think, but I've hovered around the low 70s for a while. (I've just this year crept into the 60-64 category. You?)

I'll post my results up every now and then and perhaps we could 'get it on' soonish? BTW a 55-60 lady vet nearly beat me on Sat........ which keeps you humble!

I entered the 55-60 band last October. My best Age Graded run was 20:23 this year beating my 17:45 at age 35 and the 19:33 6 years back.

Unfortunately I will only be going for it on September 5th as having an easy month at present. After that I am driving off to Iceland and the Faroes for 6 weeks.
Remind me in October or just virtually join in on the next Challenge date. Good running!

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Been given leg 15 of the Round Notfolk Relay in September, 10.6 miles into my hometown Downham Market. Ran the distance last & this week in 6.40 pace and will start to drive that down as I'm aiming for 1hr 8 min which is 6.23 pace to beat my club's record. Very challenging but good to have a clear goal.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I entered the 55-60 band last October. My best Age Graded run was 20:23 this year beating my 17:45 at age 35 and the 19:33 6 years back.

Unfortunately I will only be going for it on September 5th as having an easy month at present. After that I am driving off to Iceland and the Faroes for 6 weeks.
Remind me in October or just virtually join in on the next Challenge date. Good running!

Thanks, young 'un! Well I'm glad it wouldn't be a head-to-head as you'd be waiting for me at the finish. My track record isn't up to your standard: only once dipped below 40 for 10K and in that race probably did my PB for a 5K in that event as turned for home (Brighton 10K) in under 18 minutes. I was in my late 30s. I've got (relatively) better as I've got older - in between injuries. I plan to do 3 more parkruns in Aug and will post results. The best of them becomes your AG target on 5th, eh?
Managed a 35:11 this morning for (a bit under) 5 miles. Very hard work.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Been given leg 15 of the Round Notfolk Relay in September, 10.6 miles into my hometown Downham Market. Ran the distance last & this week in 6.40 pace and will start to drive that down as I'm aiming for 1hr 8 min which is 6.23 pace to beat my club's record. Very challenging but good to have a clear goal.

6:23 pace for 10.6 miles, insane but good luck with that, would be a hell of an achievement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here