Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Interesting but the right wing head bangers don't like experts but frightening for those who do

[tweet]1022088250855485440[/tweet]

Well why didn't anyone mention that there could be issues with Britain trying to implement WTO ?

MYSTIC-MEG_2882318b.jpg

:wink:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Interesting but the right wing head bangers don't like experts but frightening for those who do

[tweet]1022088250855485440[/tweet]

I've taken this short extract. I think it illustrates in a small way the deceit of Brexiteers such as Bernard Jenkin who implies that trading on WTO rules is something of a piece of cake. I'm not sure whether the Brexiteers simply don't understand some of the technical issues around leaving the EU or whether they do and deliberately conceal or make light of them. The expert (an American and NOT part of the British Establishment!) said:

"The rest of the WTO membership now have 90 days to raise their objections. As WTO members, everyone has a right to say whether their trade would be affected. I'm told several major countries are already planning to object to the UK's approach.
"The US, Brazil and New Zealand have already said they don't agree to the UK's plan. A major sticking point for them is the fact that the EU and the UK share a quota system that limits imports of sensitive goods like beef, lamb and sugar. The UK cannot simply replicate these quotas and has proposed to split them with the EU based on historical trade flows."
All of this means that if and when they object and ask for a better deal, Britain will be simultaneously be negotiating a trade deal with the EU and the WTO.

So - no longer will be a rule taker from the dreaded EU, then...……..

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I've taken this short extract. I think it illustrates in a small way the deceit of Brexiteers such as Bernard Jenkin who implies that trading on WTO rules is something of a piece of cake. I'm not sure whether the Brexiteers simply don't understand some of the technical issues around leaving the EU or whether they do and deliberately conceal or make light of them. The expert (an American and NOT part of the British Establishment!) said:

"The rest of the WTO membership now have 90 days to raise their objections. As WTO members, everyone has a right to say whether their trade would be affected. I'm told several major countries are already planning to object to the UK's approach.
"The US, Brazil and New Zealand have already said they don't agree to the UK's plan. A major sticking point for them is the fact that the EU and the UK share a quota system that limits imports of sensitive goods like beef, lamb and sugar. The UK cannot simply replicate these quotas and has proposed to split them with the EU based on historical trade flows."
All of this means that if and when they object and ask for a better deal, Britain will be simultaneously be negotiating a trade deal with the EU and the WTO.

2 years ago, on this thread we were talking about how difficult it would be to split the quotas, and that even if the UK and EU agree, the rest have to agree too. Both the EU and the UK will lose out here, the rest will play us off against each other.
JRM's dad wrote a book called the Sovereign Individual, if JRM was aligned with the principles in that book, it would make sense as to his behaviour, and also utterly unsuitable to be anywhere near Government. The fear for these guys is that co-operating nations will eradicate the tax havens, competing nations give them the chance to shop around for low tax areas.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

No, it will be simple. We have been told by some of NSC finests. Just like the NI issue is simple. And we wouldn’t have to pay any exit bill, that’s just lies. Simplies

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So we have gone from easiest deal ever to the below - disruption - not sure it’s what people voted for?

Operation blame the EU is certainly underway.

The key Brexiteer and Tory MP warned the British people would not want to be tied to the EU, adding any disruption by the a no deal Brexit would be "short-term".

He insisted a balance needed to be struck but the UK must walkaway with a "self-government" and not be shackled to the EU.

Mr Jenkin made the remarks in response to Ireland's deputy head of government Simon Coveney’s who earlier hit out at Brexiteers’ “bravado” over the prospect of a no deal Brexit.

When asked about the negative consequences a no deal Brexit, Mr Jenkins told the BBC: “There is a balance to be struck at the time we see the quality of the Withdrawal Agreement and the future Framework agreement.

“If we suffer some short-term disruption, which incidentally, all the disruption will be as a result of EU dysfunctionality or even deliberate policy of the EU to try to force us to accept some kind of punishment Brexit. It is all completely unnecessary, they don’t need to do any of that.”

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
In yet another triumph for Twitter,Steve Bruce is still manager at Villa-the new teaboy is called Henry French.

Twitter is sometimes a purveyor of useful information in the run-up to our 'No Deal' Brexit.

no deal.png

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
And more Brexit news

“Since 2016 they have been net borrowers - spending more than they are receiving in income - for 18 months on the trot. It's the first time that has happened since records began.
Stagnant incomes, families struggling to make ends meet, very cheap borrowing costs and ease of access to borrowed money - often just a swipe on an app away - have made taking on loans both necessary in some cases and certainly attractive.”

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And more Brexit news

“Since 2016 they have been net borrowers - spending more than they are receiving in income - for 18 months on the trot. It's the first time that has happened since records began.
Stagnant incomes, families struggling to make ends meet, very cheap borrowing costs and ease of access to borrowed money - often just a swipe on an app away - have made taking on loans both necessary in some cases and certainly attractive.”
Very cheap costs of borrowing? Blimey! - what planet are you on? Most normal sensible people would regard 1299.1% (QuickQuid https://www.quickquid.co.uk/rates-and-terms.html for example) as bloody expensive. But carry on!
Who are 'they' by the way? - Brexiteers? Poor people? Third world nations,? Nearly third world nations crippled by joining the Euro? - and does their cutrrent plight (whoever they are) result exactly from Brexit or from the many other (usually cyclical) influences on finances?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Very cheap costs of borrowing? Blimey! - what planet are you on? Most normal sensible people would regard 1299.1% (QuickQuid https://www.quickquid.co.uk/rates-and-terms.html for example) as bloody expensive. But carry on!
Who are 'they' by the way? - Brexiteers? Poor people? Third world nations,? Nearly third world nations crippled by joining the Euro? - and does their cutrrent plight (whoever they are) result exactly from Brexit or from the many other (usually cyclical) influences on finances?

Let’s hope your not Chancellor post Brexit if that’s the best borrowing rate you can find.

I’m on Planet British, not Pro Cloud Cookooland.

They are the 27 million households in Britain are net borrowers or net lenders. The stats from the Office for National Statistics. The article from the BBC website.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Let’s hope your not Chancellor post Brexit if that’s the best borrowing rate you can find.

I’m on Planet British, not Pro Cloud Cookooland.

They are the 27 million households in Britain are net borrowers or net lenders. The stats from the Office for National Statistics. The article from the BBC website.
You're mixing up different scenarios then - presumably trying to make a point detrimental to Brexit - but not doing very well. If (in the unlikely and unwelcome event) I was landed with the job of Chancellor, I wouldn't be looking to borrow from QuickQuid, would I? :facepalm:
You're quoting 27 million households in Britain who are net borrowers, but then you are looking at lending rates that maybe be accessible to a Chancellor of the Exchequer, National Debt and all that, not the rates that are available to the people at the bottom of the food chain.

Some selectivity! Your Cookooland (sic.)

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
You're mixing up different scenarios then - presumably trying to make a point detrimental to Brexit - but not doing very well. If (in the unlikely and unwelcome event) I was landed with the job of Chancellor, I wouldn't be looking to borrow from QuickQuid, would I? :facepalm:
You're quoting 27 million households in Britain who are net borrowers, but then you are looking at lending rates that maybe be accessible to a Chancellor of the Exchequer, National Debt and all that, not the rates that are available to the people at the bottom of the food chain.

Some selectivity! Your Cookooland (sic.)

But you quoted QuickQuid, I’ve never heard of them and it wasn’t in the article if that’s the best rate you can get then you have an issue. No U.K. individual could get rates the U.K. government can get, but again neither I nor the article said that. It’s luke a Trump exchange....the point being made is not difficult to follow unless you don’t want to follow and want to grumble

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
So the Government is now officially advising us to stockpile food and medicines? Thanks to everyone who voted 'Leave'.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
In yet another triumph for Twitter,Steve Bruce is still manager at Villa-the new teaboy is called Henry French.

Twitter is sometimes a purveyor of useful information in the run-up to our 'No Deal' Brexit.

View attachment 99153

So Britain and the EU have both submitted their own versions of their new WTO terms of trade which are fundamentally different, and Britain's is basically 'We want to continue to get what the EU gets' even though we are economically far smaller.

The rest of the WTO membership now have 90 days to raise their objections. As WTO members, everyone has a right to say whether their trade would be affected. All of this means that if and when they object and ask for a better deal, Britain will be simultaneously be negotiating a trade deal with the EU and the WTO.

We have just jumped from the Frying Pan into the Fire and you're happily publishing (pictures of) celebratory tweets :facepalm:

*edit* and this is completely ignoring borders, customs, IT systems, staff etc etc

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So the Government is now officially advising us to stockpile food and medicines? Thanks to everyone who voted 'Leave'.

The residents of Stoke had better buy bigger freezers before they head down to Iceland then.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So we have 2 options

1. Get a deal in which we have less control over everything and no say to stay roughly the same
2. No deal, in which the Government are stock piling vital medicines in case of and even team Brexit are no suggesting some type of pain.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So we have 2 options

1. Get a deal in which we have less control over everything and no say to stay roughly the same
2. No deal, in which the Government are stock piling vital medicines in case of and even team Brexit are no suggesting some type of pain.

And, if we want option 2, we had better start negotiating for extensions to EU membership as it won't be ready for 29th March

Of course there's always option 3 - go for a vote of some kind (GE or Another referendum)

I wonder when Leavers will actually find out what they voted for ?

I guess at some point in the next 8 Months :shrug:

Tick Tock

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here