Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leicester City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Is it sad I know the lyrics come from the Belinda Carlisle song "Leave A Light On", and that I have the Runaway Horses album?
Not at all, you've got to be straight not to like Belinda. She's ACE!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I know it's early. But I fear for the team. Momentum is so important. Under Hyypia, we started the season dominating teams. We walked away from games asking how it was possible we could have so much of the game and lose. Noting the number of times in those first few games our opponents were 'one shot on target, one goal' and we failed with all our shots. That run of results started to hang heavy on the team, and a losing momentum built up. Hyypia never recovered. The team just about did.

West Brom next weekend won't be easy. Yes, I'm ignoring Brentford. We all know Hughton is likely to make close to 11 changes for that. Then we head into the international break with our heads down.

I can't help feeling part of this is on us.

The history of the premier league is littered with examples of small teams doing the impossible. A struggling Southampton beating Man Utd, A newly promoted Burnley beating then champs Man Utd. Last week Burnley beat Chelsea. Last season, as much trouble as Palace were in, they managed to get a string of victories against top sides - they derailed Liverpool's title charge while fighting relegation. Blackpool topped the premier league for a time.

Despite all that, we, a team that won promotion with 3 games to spare, act like the best possible result last weekend was 'not to embarrass ourselves'. I saw less fear in the lower league Brighton side that beat Man City in the cup at withdean than in the premier league brighton that took on Man City last week.

We earned a spot in the premier league. It's about time our players played like the premier league team we are instead of playing like they're here to make up the numbers, or else we might as well pack up and go home.
West Brom and Brentford?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Yes I'm watching and agree we're not being totally outplayed. However only one side really look like scoring and it's not us! We have a few players who are out of their depth. Leicester are not that good - but are excellent on the counter.

Yes outplayed is harsh. Two sloppy goals is the difference. I know they are not City but this performance reassures me far more than last week

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was hugely worried re Gross and Suttner, and it doesn't look too promising in these very early days. It really comes down to a 'losing' mentality. They had it, still have it and boy is it catching!

We're out of our depth with this starting xi.
Those on the wireless have perked up since March has gone into the middle.

Starting the season without all the players in place to play the preferred system, is what's doing for the team at the moment.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But that's the worrying thing. Leicester are a team that thrive on inviting teams to attack, and then countering. But we're not even taking them up on their invitation!

Good point. As predicted for a few months, we lack the sheer pace, power, skill and goals up front to trouble PL defenders. They are much better and faster players in their own right, than those who didn't watch the PL had wrongly assumed.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Yes outplayed is harsh. Two sloppy goals is the difference. I know they are not City but this performance reassures me far more than last week
I don't think we look any better today than we did against Man City, just with more of the ball. We look slow and toothless, can't string many passes together, no direction just hoping something will happen. We'll need to play a lot better than this to get anywhere this season.

D

Deleted member 2719

Despite all that, we, a team that won promotion with 3 games to spare, act like the best possible result last weekend was 'not to embarrass ourselves'. I saw less fear in the lower league Brighton side that beat Man City in the cup at withdean than in the premier league brighton that took on Man City last week.

I agree but where is this fear coming from???

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
To make matters worse I'm sure I can hear all the keyboards in Croydon powering up.

They don't need to bother, they can't be any worse than some of the 'support' on this thread.

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
They don't need to bother, they can't be any worse than some of the 'support' on this thread.

Absofeckinlutely!

I thought I was the most cynical, miserable person on the planet, but I feel like a ruddy American gameshow host in comparison to most on here. :lolol:

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
Premier League is a totally different tempo. Teams break much faster than they do in the Championship.

To have any sort of chance we've got to learn to get out of defence far quicker, and not quite go direct, but a Dunk ball from defence out to Knockeart on the wing with a quick cross onto Hemed's head, would be what the doctor ordered!

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
I know it's early. But I fear for the team. Momentum is so important. Under Hyypia, we started the season dominating teams. We walked away from games asking how it was possible we could have so much of the game and lose. Noting the number of times in those first few games our opponents were 'one shot on target, one goal' and we failed with all our shots. That run of results started to hang heavy on the team, and a losing momentum built up. Hyypia never recovered. The team just about did.

Watford next weekend won't be easy. Yes, I'm ignoring Barnet. We all know Hughton is likely to make close to 11 changes for that. Then we head into the international break with our heads down.

I can't help feeling part of this is on us.

The history of the premier league is littered with examples of small teams doing the impossible. A struggling Southampton beating Man Utd, A newly promoted Burnley beating then champs Man Utd. Last week Burnley beat Chelsea. Last season, as much trouble as Palace were in, they managed to get a string of victories against top sides - they derailed Liverpool's title charge while fighting relegation. Blackpool topped the premier league for a time.

We earned a spot in the premier league. It's about time our players played like the premier league team we are instead of playing like they're here to make up the numbers, or else we might as well pack up and go home.

tl;dr

put something like "we are shit and ****ing dead" next time people prefer it

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
At least it shows what we need to progress. With Tony Bloom in attendance I'm sure he'll want to assist Hughton all he can regarding signings.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here