Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley friendly

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I thought it was a good day out. Suttner and Gross looked good additions, Ryan looked comfortable with the ball at his feet.

March and Murphy looked sharp and good to see Kayal looking really fit. In general a good workout for the lads.

We do need some pace up front but I'm sure CH knows that and is busily looking to fill that position.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I went and was impressed with our appetite for the ball in the first half. Suttner and Groß have fitted seamlessly into the team and look as if they've been playing for us for years. All the players took their goals well. The second half was a bit of a different story - perhaps the players were playing within themselves as the team was 4-0 up but Murray and Kaz looked tired and a bit off the pace to me. Murray spent a lot of the half out on the left wing where he is completely ineffectual. Kaz decided it was going to be a boxing match and retaliated to an admittedly bad tackle by one of the Crawley players - had that been a league match he'd have been off straight away. I thought that the rest of the second half subs looked good - Towell was exceptional as was Stephens and it was very good to see Goldson back to his impressive best. All in all it was a pretty impressive performance albeit against a not terribly good league 2 side.
With regards to Maty Ryan well he had nothing to do - must have been the easiest debut ever.

boik

Really? He's nowhere near good enough and needs to be loaned out immediately.

He has no pace, takes three touches to control the ball and can't shoot.

We were in the seats on the East side, and the number of times Towell found space on the shoulders of the last defender and the pass never came. I'd love to have seen him playing with someone who could pick a pass (Gross for example) as we could then have seen Towells true ability going forward. Of course , it may be non-existent, but I did feel sorry for him.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
"famously" is this true? Or just more Bs...

If you look at old copies of Rothmans Football Yearbook. ALL keepers have their height listed as 6 foot and over - even though it was well-known thatn several were under 6ft.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
We were in the seats on the East side, and the number of times Towell found space on the shoulders of the last defender and the pass never came. I'd love to have seen him playing with someone who could pick a pass (Gross for example) as we could then have seen Towells true ability going forward. Of course , it may be non-existent, but I did feel sorry for him.

Agreed. Towell didn't much service, nor did Murray really.
I guess it would be prudent to send him on loan to a Championship team to see what he can do.

GooGull

Aug 14, 2016
Don't we have a history of short 'keepers?

Brian Powney was shorter than me but played 351 times for the Albion.

I'm 5'10 by the way:down:

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
I'm 5 foot 9 and have played (as a keeper) state league in Australia - which is maybe on a par with Conference in England.

I was always (obviously) short for a keeper but I liked playing there and when I was quite young had a coach who explained a simple truth to me: a short keeper with his hands raised will reach taller than any striker. All you have to do is time your run for a cross to intercept the ball at the highest point you can catch it. Strikers will be running to a different point on the ball's trajectory because their head will never get as high as the keeper's hands (if the keeper is going to the right place). Once I got that right my height never mattered. Ryan is three inches taller than me and almost certainly more skilled.

Close thread.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Gross looks an excellent player all round. Suttner good going forward, very good left foot, link-up with Murphy needs some work.

Ryan very good with his feet just without feigns, shimmys and keepy uppys, but I feel like we should return to sender due to the fact our recruitment team have obviously forgotten to check how tall he is.

Solly the pick of the lot, Hemed the most disappointing though Muzza ran him close. Towell needs a loan and 30 odd Champ/L1 games to judge, he just doesn't seem to make his mark on any game I've seen him play for us.

Altogether pleased with the run-out.
Amazes me what people actually expect from Hemed or any bha striker tbh. He scores a shit load of goals and still gets nothing back from the majority of Brighton fans ???

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here