Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wheel nuts

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Had a set of 4 cheapo tyres fitted by a mobile fitter last week. After a few days, one of the wheels started juddering and on checking, the wheel nuts had come loose. Now I'd love to blame the fitter but here's the thing... Being of a distrusful nature, I checked the wheel nuts myself after he'd gone, and all were torqued up correctly. I genuinely don't believe someone would have loosened them - the car just hasn't been anywhere that could happen.

I have read somewhere that with alloys, they should be checked and re-torqued after 100 miles, but I've never paid any attention to that (I'll certainly be doing that in the future though!).

Anyone else had anything similar? Or is there a contract out on me?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I have read somewhere that with alloys, they should be checked and re-torqued after 100 miles, but I've never paid any attention to that (I'll certainly be doing that in the future though!).

why should alloys require the nuts checked? if if so why not every 100 miles (or 10 for that matter)?

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
What torque setting did you check them at? Usually around 110nm for alloys.

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Had a set of 4 cheapo tyres fitted by a mobile fitter last week. After a few days, one of the wheels started juddering and on checking, the wheel nuts had come loose. Now I'd love to blame the fitter but here's the thing... Being of a distrusful nature, I checked the wheel nuts myself after he'd gone, and all were torqued up correctly. I genuinely don't believe someone would have loosened them - the car just hasn't been anywhere that could happen.

Anyone else had anything similar? Or is there a contract out on me?

i've worked with tyres for over 25years. it is correct that you should recheck the torque between 100 -500 miles after wheels put back on car. of coarse no one does. a place i worked at used to have it on the receipt, but that's the only time i've seen that.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Sorry to hijack your thread

I recently brought a car and the spare wheel says 185 65 14. My tyres are 185 60 15. Can i replace the spare wheel with the correct tyre or do i need the rim changed as well?

Curryisgreat

Dec 9, 2010
Sorry to hijack your thread

I recently brought a car and the spare wheel says 185 65 14. My tyres are 185 60 15. Can i replace the spare wheel with the correct tyre or do i need the rim changed as well?

The 14 relates to the diameter of the spare wheel in inches.

You need new spare wheel that is 15 inches in diameter. Preferably with the same tyre width (185) and tyre height (60) as the ones on your car.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

You need new spare wheel that is 15 inches in diameter. Preferably with the same tyre width (185) and tyre height (60) as the ones on your car.

Thought so. What a pain. I suppose someone put it in there to get through an mot ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i've worked with tyres for over 25years. it is correct that you should recheck the torque between 100 -500 miles after wheels put back on car. of coarse no one does. a place i worked at used to have it on the receipt, but that's the only time i've seen that.

as someone in the know, is thats for alloys or for any wheels?

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
as someone in the know, is thats for alloys or for any wheels?

It's more relevant on alloys. It's possible to torque a wheel with it not sitting absolutely plumb on the hub. If the hub and hole in wheel clean and free of any muck or corrosion you are unlikely to need to re torque the wheel. If you want to be on the safe side it's wise to double check the nuts/bolts.

upthealbion1970

NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Same rolling radius.

185 is section with (185mm)
60 profile is a % of section width
15 is size of wheel in inches.

As a rule go up a wheel size go down a profile

In response to if needing to change it, yes if you're going to drive on it permanently but more than adequate for a spare.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Same rolling radius.

185 is section with (185mm)
60 profile is a % of section width
15 is size of wheel in inches.

As a rule go up a wheel size go down a profile

In response to if needing to change it, yes if you're going to drive on it permanently but more than adequate for a spare.

So i could use it in an emergency ? If so i won't bother to change it. for correct size.

upthealbion1970

NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
So i could use it in an emergency ? If so i won't bother to change it. for correct size.

Exactly but before you need it make sure it actually fits onto the car and isn't just some random wheel - I've seen it many times before!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Exactly but before you need it make sure it actually fits onto the car and isn't just some random wheel - I've seen it many times before!

Good point might be a 5 stud wheel

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here