Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheffield Wednesday vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I'm still banking on us keeping the squad together and winning this league next season.

Our goal threat against Derby, Middlesbrough and tonight has been woeful....

A top class striker is essential along with keeping our core players is a must if we aim to build on this...

I can actually see Bloom being very upset by getting so close, that he actually says feck it and throws some serious money at a decent striker. Hamed, Baldock are not the answer, they are good championship players at best, you need that extra level.

Otherwise we have a good squad, and I am proud of what we have achieved this season far beyond my wildest dreams...

It just hurts we seem to have got so close.....

However it ain't over yet...

I have a feeling for 3-1 to us Monday and......

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The real question is, what has happened to us?

We were poor again tonight before the injuries. Where has our mojo gone?

A focused Wednesday, who knew we never beat them and rarely score against them

Against a team that's clearly demoralised by the 89 points disappointment, who have dipped starting with modest Derby (Will Hughes & co, yet again) passing and bossing off the park.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
The real question is, what has happened to us?

We were poor again tonight before the injuries. Where has our mojo gone?

Oh I think that we can do this but if all 4 that went off tonight are not fit it's going to be hard. You take solace where your can but we were on the chopping block tonight....could have been so much worse.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Reading through some of the stuff on here makes me think I have a different understanding of the word "bottle" to some. To me it means backing out because of lack of courage. I hardly think anyone could accuse us of that tonight - far from it, down to 10 men with 30 mins plus to go and 6 key players out!!!!!

And Chris Hughton on Sky just now - the height of dignity and calm. It would be hard to go through on Monday, but not impossible.

Watching Baldock duck under a cross epitomised the lack of bottle of at least 1 player out there tonight.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Our goal threat against Derby, Middlesbrough and tonight has been woeful....

A top class striker is essential along with keeping our core players is a must if we aim to build on this...

I can actually see Bloom being very upset by getting so close, that he actually says feck it and throws some serious money at a decent striker. Hamed, Baldock are not the answer, they are good championship players at best, you need that extra level.

Otherwise we have a good squad, and I am proud of what we have achieved this season far beyond my wildest dreams...

It just hurts we seem to have got so close.....

However it ain't over yet...

I have a feeling for 3-1 to us Monday and......
We didn't lose against Dery,Burnley or Boro with their big money signings either so what's your point idiot?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
How arrogant is that. Brighton were awful, and the stats qualify that:

Possession: Home 63% Away 37%

Shots: Home16 Away7

Shots on Target: Home 4 Away 1

Were there any bha fans there?

Thank you for your contribution. You are no longer welcome on NSC again so go home and play with yourself.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
That was beyond belief unlucky - on top of Stephens sending off.

Only pissed off about the second goal but they didn't blow us away. Early goal Monday and it's game on.

We only have to match them - and it's extra time. What a story to tell when we get to Wembley.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Oh, let's not even bother turning up then. Could we put out the women's team for a laugh?

You may not have noticed, but we had several fairly important people missing by about a third of the way through the second half. That actually makes life quite difficult. Do you think CH orchestrated all the injuries?

Not a criticism of CH in the slightest, who in 16 months has been immense.

But it's in the DNA of some other clubs to get over the line. Even before the awful bad luck tonight, the lack of focus cracks were appearing - Dunk's stupidity at a crucial stage of the season, allowing Derby to boss us yet again, Wilson's disinterest as he prepares for a a summer of partying with his Manure team mates.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
A focused Wednesday, who knew we never beat them and rarely score against them

Against a team that's clearly demoralised by the 89 points disappointment, who have dipped starting with modest Derby (Will Hughes & co, yet again) passing and bossing off the park.

Are you for real? Wednesday must be REALLY shit if they still only beat us 2-0 despite all that.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We didn't lose against Dery,Burnley or Boro with their big money signings either so what's your point idiot?

That's nice of you, I understand you might be upset but come on.

My point was / is we would have probably pushed on or had a greater goal threat with a better quality striker...

It's just an opinion, don't think I was being too harsh.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Back at hotel feeling rather dazed. Has there ever been a game with four players off through injury? Luck has deserted us again at a vital tiime.

Apart from poor reaction to injuries,must give credit to SW fans. They were tremendous. Ones I spoke to on tram were realistic, and genuinely are not sure they are at Wembley yet.

Have to say they are being unduly cautious, much as I want to believe,I just can't. A scratch team against a side against whom we have hardly created a chance in open play in 270 minutes this season. Much as the season has been great, have to face the fact that we cannot even score in open play against top teams, let alone win. My mojo is low. Glad I came but season ended tonight.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Back at hotel feeling rather dazed. Has there ever been a game with four players off through injury? Luck has deserted us again at a vital tiime.

Apart from poor reaction to injuries,must give credit to SW fans. They were tremendous. Ones I spoke to on tram were realistic, and genuinely are not sure they are at Wembley yet.

Have to say they are being unduly cautious, much as I want to believe,I just can't. A scratch team against a side against whom we have hardly created a chance in open play in 270 minutes this season. Much as the season has been great, have to face the fact that we cannot even score in open play against top teams, let alone win. My mojo is low. Glad I came but season ended tonight.

Sleep well fella, it's half time and we don't know the full extent of the injuries yet. Football is a funny and freaky game early goal and their nerves will blow....

J2 DOG

Feb 28, 2009
Hove
They don't usually get it wrong. I'm as depressed as I've ever been tonight so I'm off to bed in the hope that it will look better in the morning. I'm still banking on us keeping the squad together and winning this league next season.

We will lose players over the summer! Then we will have the likes of Villa.Newcastle Norwich and Burton to contend with next season!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
View attachment 74676
703.png

Sheffield Wednesday v Brighton

Sky Bet Championship Play-Off Semi-Final (1st leg)

Venue: Hillsborough Stadium
Date: Friday 13th May 2016
Kick-off: 19:45 GMT
Referee: Andre Marriner
Assistants: Scott Ledger, Darren Cann
Fourth official: Andy Woolmer

TEAM NEWS

• [*=left]Sheffield Wednesday boss Carlos Carvalhal is set to recall a number of players who were rested for the defeat at Wolves on Saturday.
    [*=left]Winger Ross Wallace is back after a three-match ban and striker Atdhe Nuhiu (knee) is fit to play.
    [*=left]Brighton will be without suspended duo Lewis Dunk and Dale Stephens, while veteran striker Bobby Zamora (hip) has been ruled out of both legs.
    [*=left]Steve Sidwell could replace Stephens, who starts a three-match ban.
    [*=left]After missing out on automatic promotion on the final day after drawing at Middlesbrough, Brighton travel to a sold-out Hillsborough to face a Wednesday side who finished sixth in the table, before hosting the return leg on Monday.
    [*=left]The South Yorkshire side are bidding to return to the Premier League for the first time since suffering relegation in 2000, while Brighton have not played in the top flight since 1982-83.
    [*=left]The Owls were successful in their only previous play-off campaign, winning the League One play-off final in 2004-05 by beating Hartlepool after extra-time.
    [*=left]Brighton have lost in the Championship play-off semi-finals twice in the past three seasons, first to rivals Crystal Palace in 2012-13 and then to Derby County in 2013-14.
    [*=left]The Seagulls lost a second-tier play-off final to Notts County in 1990-91 but were successful in their other play-off attempt, in the third tier in 2003-04 when they overcame Bristol City at the Millennium Stadium.
    [*=left]Both league meetings between Sheffield Wednesday and Brighton this season finished goalless.

Sheffield Wednesday boss Carlos Carvalhal:

"We cry, we smile and we have a lot of happiness with our fans through the season. The fans have followed us through the good and bad moments this season.

"I appeal to them to bring a positive vibe and they will see what the players will give to them.

"The team has shown all season that it likes big games. It can be a very good night for us.

"The fans have had a long time without reasons to smile or enjoy (the football). We can feel the positivity from them.

"We arrive here without pressure because we are the underdogs."

Brighton manager Chris Hughton told BBC Sussex:

"You have to look at the game as two cup finals. One can affect the other.

"We are talking about three days between the two games, but we play in a league where we are used to playing on a Saturday and a midweek.

"When you get to a play-off I don't think there are any favourites and it is a tough call between all four teams.

"That shows with the two results we have had against them this season. They are a very good side and certainly have goals in them.

"I expect it to be a tight affair. We know their dangers and that we can't treat them lightly."

MATCH FACTS

• [*=left]The last three matches between Sheffield Wednesday and Brighton have ended 0-0.
    [*=left]Brighton have failed to score in their last five contests with the Owls; Keith Andrews in 2013 was the last Seagulls player to score in this fixture.
    [*=left]Six of the last 10 teams to finish third in the Championship have gone on to win the play-offs.
    [*=left]The Owls have lost just one of their last 20 league games at Hillsborough (W12 D7), conceding more than once on just two occasions.
    [*=left]The Seagulls are unbeaten in their last 14 matches, winning nine and drawing five.
    [*=left]No Championship player has scored more league goals in 2016 than Sheffield Wednesday's Gary Hooper (11) and Brighton's Tomer Hemed (11).

The Big Play-Off Preview: Spotlight on Sheffield Wednesday (1st Leg)

Should've been 4 stars! That was the essence of our wins under you and [MENTION=17571]StonehamPark[/MENTION]'s OMTs

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
must give credit to SW fans. They were tremendous.

Well they made a lot of noise, including booing Goldson as he was hobbling down the sideline off the pitch, and some of their neanderthals hurled missiles at him too. Far from tremendous IMO.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here