Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Selhurst showdown!!

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I’m a bit more optimistic, though it’s going to be tough considering Palace’s decent form and Selhurst’s reputation as a fortress. I reckon with the right mentality our team has what it takes to give Palace a good game. And going against rivals can fire up the fans. I say we give it our all against the Nigels and pick up the boys no matter what.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Losing to Palace is always a depressing experience and a blow to me :smile:

I was like that, and could very easily still be, but as I've got older I'll try and make sure it's brief. Life's too short. Some angry typing on NSC lances the annoyance.

Money talks in modern football. They've had 5 years to get that expensive team/squad, (with tons of that wasted on dross at times), so it's the norm for the more expensive and PL experienced team to beat PL newcomers at home.

Give us a few more transfer windows and we'll be able to get results home and away against some of big spenders.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I’m a bit more optimistic, though it’s going to be tough considering Palace’s decent form and Selhurst’s reputation as a fortress. I reckon with the right mentality our team has what it takes to give Palace a good game. And going against rivals can fire up the fans. I say we give it our all against the Nigels and pick up the boys no matter what.
Not quite true though this season Palace have the third worse home record so not really a fortress.

If we actually turn up unlike the last 2 games then I see a scrappy niggly draw which I would take.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not quite true though this season Palace have the third worse home record so not really a fortress.

If we actually turn up unlike the last 2 games then I see a scrappy niggly draw which I would take.

They recently led and might well have beaten ManU and LFC, and shut out ManC. Against a toothless Albion at home, shirley they will win?

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
We will be lucky to get a point there and if we play like we did today there will only be one outcome.

This. I’ll be at the game and praying that we turn up but deep down I fear that we will bottle it and yet again CH’s post match comments will once again be “we weren’t at our best”. God I hope our boys can prove me wrong !

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
They recently led and might well have beaten ManU and LFC, and shut out ManC. Against a toothless Albion at home, shirley they will win?
I hear what your saying but when do we ever follow the script.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Would take a draw and that is how the team will be set up..................and then concede in the 93 minute.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
With Shampton having 2 games in hand and potentially stepping over our foes to dump them back in the mire. Our game at sainsbury's franchise 2010 fc could be now a real humdinger. Sure a draw will probably see us on the cusp of safety - however a win will go a long way to condemning them to an existential struggle for survival. A crushing blow for a team that has been relying on great escapes for a little too long for lady fortune to continue to tolerate, they're having, yet again, a dogshit season. Let's put the perennial strugglers where they belong. That would cap a great season for me.

I would agree with that but I am always nervous about Palace games as the atmosphere at Selhurst is likely to be very tense. Haven't got a ticket so may hide under the duvet until its all over.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
I make those prices twice as likely, not three times?

Evens is 50% and 3/1 is 25%, with the draw 9/4 is 31%.

Have I got that wrong?
No, spot on. Quite typical percentages for a PL match without Big 6 involvement.

When we're away I take comfort from the reality we only have a 50% chance of losing - when instinct makes depressing defeat feel far more likely than that.

Conversely, when we're at home I worry when the real odds of us taking 3pts from a "very winnable" game are only 50/50 or a bit worse...!!! [emoji846]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I agree.
We've played Manure twice, with a no fear attitude, we gave it a good go.
They'll be worried about us, and what we can do, given an opportunity to score.
I'm sure CH will have that well covered in the coming week.
They'll be worried about us? What exactly is it that we can do? It's been so long I'm struggling to remember.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
We should have buried Bournemouth yesterday, we had some great chances but didn’t take them.
So on to next week then, and it promises to be a nervy encounter. Getting one point out of six , when lots of you were predicting four, could bring unnecessary pressure to your performance, but in truth one more point for you should do it.
Now, does CH set up for a point and invite pressure? or does he try to win the game ?
Personally, I think you’ll set up defensively, with Knochaert (?) and Izzy (?) hoping to catch us on the break.
With Wilf playing more centrally, I can see D and D having a torrid afternoon, with a penalty and red card given.
Fancy us to win 2-0

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We should have buried Bournemouth yesterday, we had some great chances but didn’t take them.
So on to next week then, and it promises to be a nervy encounter. Getting one point out of six , when lots of you were predicting four, could bring unnecessary pressure to your performance, but in truth one more point for you should do it.
Now, does CH set up for a point and invite pressure? or does he try to win the game ?
Personally, I think you’ll set up defensively, with Knochaert (?) and Izzy (?) hoping to catch us on the break.
With Wilf playing more centrally, I can see D and D having a torrid afternoon, with a penalty and red card given.
Fancy us to win 2-0

And then no doubt carry on to grab a European place.

Really hope that Goldson gets the nod over Duffy personally. I think Duffy had such a stinker yesterday that he will be targeted as a weak link and his confidence must be shot.

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Some random jottings :

- If Schelotto goes walkabout and doesn't concentrate for 90+ minutes, we're definitely in for a torrid afternoon.

- Whilst Knocky is an appealing option, his hotheaded temperament in the Selhurst park cauldron is too big a risk.

- Maybe Murray might be more fired up with something to prove against his old Club?

- For what it's worth, I'd bring in Bruno, Kayal, Locadia, Ulloa (drop Schelotto, March & Murray to the bench; Propper can't play), add Hemed & Knocky to the bench. But I can't see CH making 4 changes.

- It's another game where the opposition need 3 points not 1. The pitch and the atmosphere at Selhurst Park is a huge advantage to Palace, if we get through the first 20-25 mins we can make things happen.

- KTF we are on 35 points with 6 games left - Palace are on 31 with only 5 games left.

- For what it's worth, my spreadsheet makes 34 the cut off - with WBA, Stoke & Southampton relegated. Palace hit 40 points, we get 38.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Some random jottings :

- If Schelotto goes walkabout and doesn't concentrate for 90+ minutes, we're definitely in for a torrid afternoon.

- Whilst Knocky is an appealing option, his hotheaded temperament in the Selhurst park cauldron is too big a risk.

- Maybe Murray might be more fired up with something to prove against his old Club?

- For what it's worth, I'd bring in Bruno, Kayal, Locadia, Ulloa (drop Schelotto, March & Murray to the bench; Propper can't play), add Hemed & Knocky to the bench. But I can't see CH making 4 changes.

- It's another game where the opposition need 3 points not 1. The pitch and the atmosphere at Selhurst Park is a huge advantage to Palace, if we get through the first 20-25 mins we can make things happen.

- KTF we are on 35 points with 6 games left - Palace are on 31 with only 5 games left.

- For what it's worth, my spreadsheet makes 34 the cut off - with WBA, Stoke & Southampton relegated. Palace hit 40 points, we get 38.

Can I just remind people, we are playing Palace, a team that are not that good, have an appalling record since being in the premier league, have striker who has scored 2 goals all season, having watched then play a few times on the tv, do not seem to have a style or pattern of play. So we will probably get stuffed...... let’s get real, it’s a winnable game if we play like we can, we are a better team
Than then, based on our points this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
And then no doubt carry on to grab a European place.

Really hope that Goldson gets the nod over Duffy personally. I think Duffy had such a stinker yesterday that he will be targeted as a weak link and his confidence must be shot.

Well it will be the big one next Saturday won’t it . If you win or draw then you’re safe and we’re right in the shit conversely if we win then you will start twitching . A draw is no good to us we need the win and a return of 4 points would be good . Two things that could be crucial are , one , we are playing well and don’t look resigned to relegation and two , the crowd will be right on it . The only drawback is a few local pubs will be closed and the ones open are for regulars only so getting a pint around the ground will be a nightmare , so Croydon could be a option . A lot are going there so it could be interesting if you stop off at east Croydon .
I’m normally nervous about our games but strangely I feel very calm about about this one . I feel the players will be angry about yesterday and will be extra fired up as will the crowd . I’m glad it’s a normal kick off time and a early start will be necessary to get in the mood . It will be good for you to witness a proper old school atmosphere but hopefully with no smoke and bangs .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here