Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tme to scrap Russia 2018

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
Time to cancel The World Cup in Russia this Summer. Play it elsewhere, we have the facilities, as this will hit Russia financially.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Are we unilaterally deciding this, like we run world football or something?!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Are we unilaterally deciding this, like we run world football or something?!

WE invented the game - can't we take it back as part of our retreat behind our borders? (Brexit)

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
WE invented the game - can't we take it back as part of our retreat behind our borders? (Brexit)

We didn't really invent football though... the Chinese did.

All we did was write standardised rules down so a bunch of public schoolboys could play each other.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
We can't cancel it, but we can withdraw... and hopefully some of our friends would too. It is a possibility - they certainly wouldn't like it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just have the European heavyweights boycott the tournament, just will do the trick

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I dont really get all the furore around Russia. Don't countries bump off spies all the time? That's what happens in James Bond?

And Russia are small fry in terms of human rights abuse compared to Qatar... at least we're not going there...

oh.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
We competed at the Moscow Olympics despite pressure from the British Government not to do so and the fact other countries, including our super special BFF USA withdrew.

Off to Volgograd, with it's seminal place in Russian patriotic history for a nice, friendly welcome we will go.

hqdefault.jpg

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
I dont really get all the furore around Russia. Don't countries bump off spies all the time? That's what happens in James Bond?

It was also putting other lives at risk, not just the two that Putin wanted rid of.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003

It's OK when James Bond does it...he's British. A bit like everyone else is a drug cheat, but we are usually 'unlucky victims of an innocent decongestant'.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
We can't cancel it, but we can withdraw... and hopefully some of our friends would too. It is a possibility - they certainly wouldn't like it.

Pointless withdrawing unless others (Germany / France etc.) do too.

Apparently Italy already have withdrawn, along with the Scots, Irish and the Welsh.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel

I think the people of Salisbury would like a word from you, just after they clean their clothes for the third time today and finish their interviews with the police, just because they wanted a pizza at Zizzi’s.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'd much rather we staged our own mini - tournament at Wembley rather than turned up at Putin's Party and acted all chummy as if nothing had happened.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I never thought I'd hear myself say this, but maybe we should just lose all three group games and get out of there. No one wants to be there - not the FA, the fans, even the free-loading dignitaries and politicians might be giving the five-star trough a swerve after the spy poisoning.

On the other hand, the idea of someone English lifting the World Cup and saying "This one is for Sergei Skripal and Alexander Litvinenko" is quite appealing.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What friends ??? , we have just told all our EUROPEAN friends to shove it and we want to stand alone

Yeah, and the US ain't gonna upset Russia. Job done for Putin

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The last thing we should do is boycott it. What will it do? They'll just invite another nation, Italy say, to take our place. Even if the Italians (or the Dutch) turn it down out of some notion of European solidarity (no I'm not holding my breath either) someone will take the slot. Then Putin can claim victory, as he can almost make himself look the victim and profusely thank the nation who've stepped in to 'save' the WC. Plus he can make snide comments about how no one missed us anyway as we're not exactly one of the favourites; a bit like Saudi Arabia boycotting the winter Olympics. The WC will take place as planned and our puny protest will have backfired.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here