Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Say it ain't so Lewis!

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
For the super-rich, ways of saving money on their tax bill are not much different to the likes of us doing our shopping at Aldi instead of Waitrose to save on our food bill. I could afford to shop at Waitrose but choose to buy some of my shopping at Aldi to save my money.

Yeah. It's not much different at all, is it?

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
But there would be contributing taxes in the country they live, whilst the programme was generally about those who don't so I'm not sure what your point is.

That's not the argument with this plane.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

This. I don't live in England anymore, but I now pay a decent amount of tax to Australia, when every seasoned f****r out here does everything they can to feather their own nest- when professional services firms out here actively encourage it, why wouldn't you.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
No matter how much money you earn, you can only eat three meals a day and sleep in one bed.

Arsene Wenger

D

Deleted member 2719

The naivety regarding tax on this thread by some is shocking.

For the super-rich, ways of saving money on their tax bill are not much different to the likes of us doing our shopping at Aldi instead of Waitrose to save on our food bill. I could afford to shop at Waitrose but choose to buy some of my shopping at Aldi to save my money.

What what, what are you on about man.

That is a very poor analogy.

The guy has an extra 3.3 million to spunk up on wasteful things because he can, if he loves being a brit so much he should bolster the HMRC pot and feel good he still has millions to live on while paying his fair share of tax.

Waitrose and Aldi :ffsparr:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Lewis pays people to keep his tax bill down whilst not breaking the law. They've done what they were paid to do.

There are two problems:

1. The existence of tax havens and the tax loopholes that exist.
2. Politicians do not have the inclination, concentration or intelligence to read the small print, fully understand the problem and then do something about it. They should make the effort because the amount lost in tax avoidance is the difference between the NHS functioning properly, or not functioning properly.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Lewis can't live in the UK at present because he would have no peace at all.The Twatterati would have published his details before he could even move in.Cut the bloke some slack,he can afford to live in Monaco and any negativity is pure jealousness of his success.Now,utter hypocrites like Bono,telling the world what to do and being a champion tax-evader at the same time,deserve slagging off!

D

Deleted member 2719

Lewis pays people to keep his tax bill down whilst not breaking the law. They've done what they were paid to do.

There are two problems:

1. The existence of tax havens and the tax loopholes that exist.
2. Politicians do not have the inclination, concentration or intelligence to read the small print, fully understand the problem and then do something about it. They should make the effort because the amount lost in tax avoidance is the difference between the NHS functioning properly, or not functioning properly.

But when will talking Billions going missing and millions in Lewis case there is a third problem, pure greed.

D

Deleted member 2719

Lewis can't live in the UK at present because he would have no peace at all.The Twatterati would have published his details before he could even move in.Cut the bloke some slack,he can afford to live in Monaco and any negativity is pure jealousness of his success.Now,utter hypocrites like Bono,telling the world what to do and being a champion tax-evader at the same time,deserve slagging off!

Okay Bono is a greedy C++T also, is that fair now???

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I'm afraid Lewis is one greedy little man. The most successful British F1 driver will never be the most popular

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
So long as the law is not broken I have no issue with anyone taking steps to reduce their tax bill.

No action was against the law before it was made illegal, doesn't mean all actions were OK before they were made illegal.

The current law and system isn't fit for purpose and it needs updating and improving, which, partially as a result of these leaks, it is. Those with sufficient money have been able to find ways and methods to go against the spirit of the law and what the current law is trying to achieve.

While you haven't broken a law today you may still have done something wrong that will be against the law tomorrow.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Don't know why anybody is surprised, he depends on other people to earn his money by building the fastest car he pays people to make the most money as well

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Capture.JPG

Switzerland was too peaceful for Lewis but he opted for Monaco, one of the dullest places I've even visited

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Theses tax havens are able to charge less taxes because they don't have e.g. a defence budget, national debt or an NHS to support etc.
If it wasn't so expensive to live in these places we might all go there, but as we all know, economics dictate - supply and demand are managed by cost.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
But there would be contributing taxes in the country they live, whilst the programme was generally about those who don't so I'm not sure what your point is.

That's not the argument with this plane.

Sent from my BTV-DL09 using Tapatalk

He lives in Monaco, not the UK.

The fuss seems to be that he hasn't paid enough tax on this because he is British by birth (hence all the comments about the NHS, etc.... being denied this tax revenue and that he (or his family) have been benefiting from our public spending before he became rich). - the point i made was that there are plenty of other people who also benefited from our public spending but don't work or pay tax back into our system as they are based abroad (and pay into that country's tax system instead)

If ordering an item from another country to the one you live in, and if there was the legal opportunity to reduce or completely get rid of the tax element of the bill that goes to the country it was brought it from, why wouldn't you do it?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here