Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hemed to Reading?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
The club's opinion is that we are turning down bids for him.

Because he's Premier League standard or because it would cost too much to replace him?

I don't dislike the man, and Hughton has spoken highly of his attitude and personality on more than one occasion. We need squad players, and Hemed as a backup isn't a disaster, but if he's needed to start games then we're really going to struggle. I think we're all realistic about our expectations for this season, nobody expects us to be thrive with the current squad, but my point remains that players like Hemed aren't good enough and we'll be relegated if we're relying on them.

We might be relegated anyway, which would probably suit some of the players because we'd happily keep players like Hemed and Bong, for example, for another Championship season. If we do stay up, those players will be out the door.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If you think he's Premier League quality that's fine, your opinion differs from me. My opinion is that if we play Hemed, we won't score goals and we will get relegated.

Not the end of the world, obviously. But it's the reality, because he isn't good enough at this level.

I suspect you may be right but by no means is it certain. Look at Ashley Barnes. He had good input in keeping Burnley up and Tomer is arguably much better so far.

I just think he culd do a job. I'd be more inclined to whinge up about what we haven't got than pulling apart what we have. Ideal world he will compliment what we have and a couple more.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I still don't get the logic in giving GM a three year deal last season, surely Tomer should have had new 2-3 year deal as likely to be more useful next season should we drop and still capable this season provided he gets some service.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I suspect you may be right but by no means is it certain. Look at Ashley Barnes. He had good input in keeping Burnley up and Tomer is arguably much better so far.

I just think he culd do a job. I'd be more inclined to whinge up about what we haven't got than pulling apart what we have. Ideal world he will compliment what we have and a couple more.

Hemed better than Barnes? I think you'll struggle to make that argument.

I was always a fan of Barnes, I have his name on a shirt. He contributed a lot to the team at the time he was here, I would much rather have Barnes in the team than Hemed.

y2dave

Jul 23, 2003
Bracknell
Have to agree with others saying its the system thats wrong, against Man City we never had (weren't allowed) the possession to create anything, our wingers were too deep (understandably) helping out our full backs. When we did get possession, we were given a master class in closing down, not just the man but the space. TBF im not sure any other formation would have made a difference and we could have had Sergio Aguero playing up front, if you dont get the ball to him in areas that are going to threaten the opposition, he ain't gonna score.
Leicester was different, we had much more possession but created nothing, it was almost as if we were too scared of getting caught on the break to have a go, our wingers were looking to come inside all the time, with the only option a pass back to a midfielder because Murray was completely marked out the game by the excellent Maguire. I can only recall twice when we got to the by-line, Gross (i think it was) put his cross behind the goal and then there was the chance for Murray who completely missed the ball, in his defence this was not long after he got injured. I thought we looked a little more lively with Knockaert and Hemed (dare i say it) and at least he had a shot on target albeit from outside the box.
My point is though we are not creating the opportunities for our strikers, we dont have the players available to play 4-4-2 at the moment with Baldock and Brown out but Gross is supposedly able to play that role, so is Murphy and even Skalak, yes these 3 are inferior to Baldock, i know that, but playing one man against very good defenders is just food and drink for the defenders, unless you have movement, support from midfielders and players with the ability to open up the defence from either midfield or the wings, so far we have had none of the above.

Im hoping the fear factor will be gone against Watford, otherwise.......

For me it seems really obvious that the biggest reason we are struggling is the lack of pace from our available strikers. Murray and Hemed are highly unlikely to get in behind premier league defenses which makes us pretty predictable. Push our wingers back or force them inside and we will struggle against pretty much anyone. Add in a threat of pace at the focal point of our attack and things should be easier for the rest of the side. I know it's a tough window but our failure to bring in such a striker for the first 3 games has been a massive mistake.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hemed better than Barnes? I think you'll struggle to make that argument.

I was always a fan of Barnes, I have his name on a shirt. He contributed a lot to the team at the time he was here, I would much rather have Barnes in the team than Hemed.

Now I agree with you on that one.

Seagulls1984

Aug 8, 2011
Steyning
I still don't get the logic in giving GM a three year deal last season, surely Tomer should have had new 2-3 year deal as likely to be more useful next season should we drop and still capable this season provided he gets some service.

Agree , I thought the signing of Murray was odd when we had him on loan to the end of the season . I'd sell Murray over hemed

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Has to be around that, anymore would be a bonus

I am still not convinced he will go.

I think he probably will go if we get the players we want. It doesn't sound like the fee will be an issue as there is a fair amount of interest from other clubs apparently and we will probably be happy to let him leave for around £5 million (Leeds certainly have that sort of money after selling Wood). I think he will also decide to leave. As much as he'd love to play in the Premier League, Hemed does not seem the sort of player who will stay to sit on the bench for most of the season in exchange for an occasional Premier League match and a few cup appearances.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Need to be ruthless not good enough sell move on it's football others need to go too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You do realise we have already signed seven players (if you include Dwamena) with another three possible (goalkeeper, defender and striker)? Other than Towell and Ince, who already seem likely to leave, and Hemed/possibly Skalak, any other players leaving would need to be replaced, which would mean even more signings needed. There is no way we'll go beyond 10 first team signings

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here