Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weddings during the Football season

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

It's so good, it's worth a cut and paste. Despite being written over 4 years ago, the last paragraph is so apt now.

"I was due to be at the wedding of my then girlfriend's (now my wife) best friend in the arse end of Wales on the day Grimsby were due to travel to Burton Albion in a game which would decide if our 100 year league status would come to an end. The date, 8th May 2010, hadn't meant anything to me when we were originally invited about 8 months earlier, but as the day approached I realised that it had huge significance.

I tried every trick in the book; asking nicely, begging, bribary, arguing - all to no avail. She was having absolutely none of it. This day had been planned for months, and no way was I going to leave her on her own at her best mate's wedding in some obscure Welsh village.

And so we traveled to Pembrokeshire on the Friday night; she sat beside me in the car looking smug that she'd won the argument. We got to the B&B, had something to eat and went to bed, ready to attend the wedding in the morning. Almost.

I got up early at about 7:00am, and mentioned to my half-asleep girlfriend that I was just nipping out in the car to get a paper as I couldn't sleep. I promptly returned at about 11:00pm, some fourteen hours later, making a sheepish appearance at the night do, having watched Town get relegated from the football league in Burton-on-Trent sandwiched in between a 5 hour drive either side (slightly longer on the way back in fact, due to a shock-induced detour via Watford Gap).

That weekend I managed to witness my football team get relegated out of the football league, spend the best part of £200 on petrol, almost end a long-term relationship with my now wife and signed myself up for weeks-upon-weeks of shít at the hands of my missus. Seriously, the severity of the shit was in when I got back ranks as one of the least enjoyable moments of my life. Do I regret any of it? Not a jot - but I don't think I'd ever have got over not being at possibly the most significant match in my club's history. My missus got over it, yours will too.

Clubs like Brighton don't get promoted to the top flight of English football very often. If it comes down to it, get yourself there at all costs. You'll regret it forever if you don't."

Ozymandias86

Jun 24, 2011
Kanazawa
I was at a wedding in Wales when we played Hereford. I was only about 30 miles away but I couldn't really get out of it - I was best man.

I did, however, skip a mate's wedding when we played Arsenal in our first game in the 1st Division. He was an avid supporter too, what was he thinking?

Exactly the same boat here - best man, groom is also a season ticket holder :ffsparr:
[MENTION=24107]crabface[/MENTION] - your wedding doesn't happen to be at Michelham Priory, does it?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Was supposed to say 1 x 300mg tablet daily.

As far as I'm aware Alluprinol only goes up to 900mg.

Ah! Yes, I thought 900 was the normal max dose too, but wondered if a doc could prescribe more in unusual circumstances. I'm on 400. In which case, I re-instate the suggestion I made earlier about the blood tester. It works for me, and just temporarily up the dose of diclofenac or naproxen if I see a spike in the uric acid levels. I test fortnightly - that seems enough for me.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Weddings during the season are infuriating enough but when people book them and they're likely to clash with 1st day, 3rd Round or promotion run in games...inexcusable really. Most people avoid 13th, why not obvious big game clashes like the aforementioned? Deserve invitee no shows and 'illnesses'

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This reminds me of an interview I once saw in a documentary about football supporters. It was a Luton fan and he was asked if he would prioritise football over his, for example, gran's funeral. "My gran loves me, she'll die in the summer." was his response.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
One of my then closest friends decided to get married on the final day of the 1979-80 season, meaning I had to miss a dull 0-0 draw at home to Everton. But it was the only home game I missed in the four years we were in the old first division, and I still regret it, whereas I hardly ever see him these days.

Plenty of people get married more than once, but there'll only ever be one chance to see the Albion's first game in the Premier League.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I have a simple rule on these matters. If it is close family they know that if they get married during the football season I won't be there, so that's their decision. Tough.

Anyone else tough.

I remember a discussion on here a few years back where his daughter had decided to get married on the first day at the AMEX what should he do. Well in short his daughter clearly doesn't know him very well. My daughter wouldn't do that to me (not least because she would want to be at the game herself!)

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Anyone who plans a wedding without consulting fixtures & major sporting events either deserves disowning or expects people to not turn up / watch it on phone's or hotel room's during the speeches - FACT

I'm getting married this month. The wedding is on a Thursday, so there was little chance of a game being scheduled for that day. It's also in the middle of the international break, thus avoiding even the remotest possibility of SkySports pulling a sneaky fixture change for TV coverage.

I'm extremely proud to say the choice of date was entirely deliberate planning on my part, and the future (non-Albion fan) Mr Krabappel didn't have the foggiest idea of what I'd done for months after we'd booked the date with the registrar :lolol:

I can only hope the NSC users on the guest list are suitably grateful for my foresight and consideration :wink:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I have a simple rule on these matters. If it is close family they know that if they get married during the football season I won't be there, so that's their decision. Tough.

A family member got married a few years back on the day of a particularly critical promotion game. I'm only slightly ashamed to say that I told them I had to work that day, and couldn't get out of it. I went to the game, then quietly headed back to join the post-wedding celebrations, bracing myself to tell them all what a hectic morning I'd had on duty.

"What was the score?" was the first question my uncle asked me when I arrived :lol:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A family member got married a few years back on the day of a particularly critical promotion game. I'm only slightly ashamed to say that I told them I had to work that day, and couldn't get out of it. I went to the game, then quietly headed back to join the post-wedding celebrations, bracing myself to tell them all what a hectic morning I'd had on duty.

"What was the score?" was the first question my uncle asked me when I arrived :lol:

:) :) I like this very much.

I skipped out of my work to go and watch the re-run of the York City game in 1996. As I recall it was an 11am kick off on a Thursday. I thought I was being really clever and just sort of left the office without anyone noticing hoping I wouldn't be missed for a couple of hours (I worked in Hove so was only ten minutes away), they'd assume I was elsewhere in the building I thought. I got back in the office and my boss said "didn't buy a programme then?"

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
:) :) I like this very much.

I skipped out of my work to go and watch the re-run of the York City game in 1996. As I recall it was an 11am kick off on a Thursday. I thought I was being really clever and just sort of left the office without anyone noticing hoping I wouldn't be missed for a couple of hours (I worked in Hove so was only ten minutes away), they'd assume I was elsewhere in the building I thought. I got back in the office and my boss said "didn't buy a programme then?"

Ha, well I had to plan properly for my own wedding, as when we were arranging everything last year, there seemed a definite chance we might find ourselves in the Premier League.

And Mr K-to-be knows only too well (he's very understanding) that given a choice of "Do you take this man...etc" or "Is that all you take away?", I'd have been on the train to Stamford Bridge, or Wembley, or...er...Vicarage Road :)

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

Post of the year for me Edna (apart from mine of course ans some of Simster's)

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
As someone who conducts weddings, this is a regular problem for me. I have weddings for the next three weekends, but fortunately the time difference means I will just about be able to watch the Citeh game before heading out.

For my own wedding, it had to be during the season as the missus-to-be wanted a skiing honeymoon in Switzerland. However, I made sure it was an away game and was able to let everyone know the result (1-1 at Citeh, coincidentally) during my speech. I also phoned up Twickers to make sure I avoided the England vs Wales egg-chasing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here