Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

**** Official middle-aged man's Craft Beer thread ****

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
They had a keg tap take over at the Beer Dispensiary by FourPure and there were some crackers before the game Saturday.
The raspberry and chocolate Imperial Stout and the blood orange Saisson right up there.

Attachments

• 408C018A-02AC-4668-933F-652754C01DD9.jpeg
    408C018A-02AC-4668-933F-652754C01DD9.jpeg
    432.6 KB · Views: 86

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They had a keg tap take over at the Beer Dispensiary by FourPure and there were some crackers before the game Saturday.
The raspberry and chocolate Imperial Stout and the blood orange Saisson right up there.

Some friends of mine were in there post match and spoke highly of the beers. They also mentioned the Fourpure head brewer was present sporting a Billies Antwerp t-shirt. I was in Hamburg sampling the delights of Ratsherrn brewery and some rather nice craft in Galopper des Jahres..

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Some friends of mine were in there post match and spoke highly of the beers. They also mentioned the Fourpure head brewer was present sporting a Billies Antwerp t-shirt. I was in Hamburg sampling the delights of Ratsherrn brewery and some rather nice craft in Galopper des Jahres..

Sounds good.
Ratshern ? Good name.......... as in..... I was Ratsherned last night.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Brighton isn't that great for craft beer when you consider how big it is and how many good pubs there are.

Albert, Bier Haus, Dispensary, Star, Pond, Craft plus...any in particular I've missed worth trying? I know some of the chain pubs like the Indigo ones and East Street Tap?

Have heard good things about the Independent and the Brunswick?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brighton isn't that great for craft beer when you consider how big it is and how many good pubs there are.

Albert, Bier Haus, Dispensary, Star, Pond, Craft plus...any in particular I've missed worth trying? I know some of the chain pubs like the Indigo ones and East Street Tap?

You have missed out Brewdog and the Bison place on Church Street.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Good point. Brewdog was obvious really. Tried Bison a few weeks back, absolutely class. The other one i missed is at Cafe Plenty - 12 Keg pumps, superb.

:thumbsup: Agree about Bison. Lovely owners as well. Ah yes, good call re Cafe Plenty; one of the best additions to Brighton in a long time. Cracking food as well.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Check out https://www.beerwulf.com/

Gonna treat myself to some Trappist stuff when I get chance.

I’ve found it the best site money wise for beers UTT. Used to order through HouseofBelgium but they seem to have gone tits up recently. Shame because the owner used to actually ring you and ask how things were.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

In response to your ”Brighton isn't that great for craft beer“ I think Brighton needs a higher end bar or two to compliment the current scene. By higher end I mean a couple of places which serve up some really exotic and/or rare international stuff. We have a couple of places here:

https://www.facebook.com/bierereibar/

https://www.themutedhorn.com

and I think Brighton could do with a couple. For sure there’s some familiar names but they both carry some very interesting stuff as well. The former has a “vintage cellar” where they age beers. Being greedy I’d also have a Burning Sky pub. Otherwise I think Brighton does okay.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
In response to your ”Brighton isn't that great for craft beer“ I think Brighton needs a higher end bar or two to compliment the current scene. By higher end I mean a couple of places which serve up some really exotic and/or rare international stuff. We have a couple of places here:

https://www.facebook.com/bierereibar/

https://www.themutedhorn.com

and I think Brighton could do with a couple. For sure there’s some familiar names but they both carry some very interesting stuff as well. The former has a “vintage cellar” where they age beers. Being greedy I’d also have a Burning Sky pub. Otherwise I think Brighton does okay.
I don't disagree with you. Especially the Burning Sky element!

I mean, pretty much everywhere has a Brewdog, but we've been exploring a lot of craft beer on away days this season and with oexceptions, everywhere up North seems to put Brighton to shame. Which is surprising when you consider how many good ale pubs there are in B&H. Up North it's the norm to have 6 cask and 10 keg made up of local, national and European beers. It certainly isn't here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't disagree with you. Especially the Burning Sky element!

I mean, pretty much everywhere has a Brewdog, but we've been exploring a lot of craft beer on away days this season and with oexceptions, everywhere up North seems to put Brighton to shame. Which is surprising when you consider how many good ale pubs there are in B&H. Up North it's the norm to have 6 cask and 10 keg made up of local, national and European beers. It certainly isn't here.

Fair point. Recent trips have shown Liverpool has a good scene which I’d say is more interesting and varied than Brighton. Sheffield also has an incredibly strong scene. Both have very good breweries as well. Birmingham has a strong bar scene but lacks the craft breweries.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Fair point. Recent trips have shown Liverpool has a good scene which I’d say is more interesting and varied than Brighton. Sheffield also has an incredibly strong scene. Both have very good breweries as well. Birmingham has a strong bar scene but lacks the craft breweries.
Interesting. We didn't find much in Liverpool (Ship and Mitre did a great selection and Dead Crafty was a nice new microbar), any recommendations for end of season? Loads going in in Manchester and Leeds too, plus some great bars in Newcastle. I guess as you say, there are the craft breweries to back them up.

So much choice in Birmingham bar-wise, surprised by that comment but i guess makes sense if the breweries are more your thing...might be where we went wrong in Liverpool!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting. We didn't find much in Liverpool (Ship and Mitre did a great selection and Dead Crafty was a nice new microbar), any recommendations for end of season? Loads going in in Manchester and Leeds too, plus some great bars in Newcastle. I guess as you say, there are the craft breweries to back them up.

So much choice in Birmingham bar-wise, surprised by that comment but i guess makes sense if the breweries are more your thing...might be where we went wrong in Liverpool!

We went to Ship and Mitre and Dead Crafty as well. I loved the former. Other places we went to were Black Lodge Brewery and Tap Room (this place was fantastic and had some excellent beers from about 10 taps), Craft Minded and Gibberish Tap Room. The latter is the brewer from Mad Hatter’s new set up but it was very basic and only had a few taps as they were only just opened....the softest of soft openings.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43841175

Campaign for Real Ale (Camra) members have narrowly rejected plans to widen the organisation's remit to be the voice of all beer, cider and perry drinkers.
The proposal, which could have seen Camra representing all beer drinkers - not just real ale - will not go ahead.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Had a half of champagne saison ( £3.50 ) down The Brookstead on Tuesday.

It's probably not a saison, per se, but trying very hard. It's highly carbonated, going with the champagne theme.

Anyhow, thoroughly bloody enjoyable.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43841175

Campaign for Real Ale (Camra) members have narrowly rejected plans to widen the organisation's remit to be the voice of all beer, cider and perry drinkers.
The proposal, which could have seen Camra representing all beer drinkers - not just real ale - will not go ahead.

That's a shame, Tubbs.

I used to be involved at a venue that hosted the beer festival on 3 occasions, and I wound up the guys because of my love of Punk.

The top 3 guys I had to deal with all said that they would like to change things because things really have changed.

These guys wanted to bring good pilsners and keg beers in, but the bearded types at the top table said no.

They're stuck in the past, which really doesn't do anybody any favours whatsover.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
They're stuck in the past, which really doesn't do anybody any favours whatsover.

Looking at the average age of their members, I’m afraid it’s probably RIP CAMRA after voting to stay in the middle of the last century. It’s a shame become I think the craft beer world needed CAMRA.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
Looking at the average age of their members, I’m afraid it’s probably RIP CAMRA after voting to stay in the middle of the last century. It’s a shame become I think the craft beer world needed CAMRA.

Well, I'm 53 so probably the average age, but for me now, CAMRA has now had it's day.

They came in and did a fantastic job, but won't move with the times, which seems so ironic.

Me and my mates love our beer, and we don't care whether it's cask or keg, pasteurised or non.

We just love the tastes that are around, rather than the double diamonds of brown beers years ago.

If you like a lager, then I say, fantastic, but have a better one than all the advertising tells you, the same as cider etc.

Screw CAMRA, just go and enjoy want you want you, but don't be mugged off.

Pickles

May 5, 2014

I also meant to say that the brewers of craft beer certainly don't need CAMRA, it's the other way around.

CAMRA is a gonner, unless you love bland brown beer.........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here