Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] U23 Retention List

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Whilst I am no expert on the U23 squad, I was surprised at the release of Dessie Hutchinson and Tom Dallison.

The full list of those released are David Ajiboye, Jonah Ayunga, Tyler Forbes, Dessie Hutchinson, Reece Meekums and Rian O’Sullivan , Tom Dallison.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just my opinion but he may make it in Scotland at Falkirk but I thought that he struggled at even U23 level so a FL career in England was highly unlikely.so a Scottish Championship club is a good move for him.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Nine players from Brighton & Hove Albion’s under-23 squad have been retained for the 2018/19 season, while seven players have been released by the club.

Ben Barclay, Will Collar, Archie Davies, Danny Mandroiu, Owen Moore and Max Sanders have all been rewarded with new contracts.

Albion have also taken up the option to extend the contracts of Henrik Bjordal, Billy Collings and Ben Hall.

Academy manager John Morling said, “They’ve all deserved their new deals after a positive season, and we hope to see them continue their progression with the club.

“Some of the players may go on loan next season, but some will remain with the under-23s. They’ve fully earned their new deals, good luck to them and we’ll see how far they can go at Brighton.”

Meanwhile, David Ajiboye, Jonah Ayunga, Tyler Forbes, Dessie Hutchinson, Reece Meekums and Rian O’Sullivan have not been offered new deals; while defender Tom Dallison has already agreed to join Falkirk.

Morling added, “This is always the worst part of the season, but unfortunately these tough decisions have to be made.

“We thank them for their contributions to the club and wish them all the best for the future and we’ll keep in contact with them over the coming years.

“Hopefully they move on to a new stage of their career. It’s certainly not the end, it’s just a new chapter for them.”

Finally, four players from Albion’s under-18 squad will be moving into Simon Rusk’s under-23 team next season, and those players are Alex Cochrane, Aaron Connolly, Stefan Ljubicic and Tom McGill.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.c...3-players-retained-for-201819-seasonnew-page/

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Just my opinion but he may make it in Scotland at Falkirk but I thought that he struggled at even U23 level so a FL career in England was highly unlikely.so a Scottish Championship club is a good move for him.

Have you seen much of him BG?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Have you seen much of him BG?

BG is THE expert on Albion U-23 football. Who can forget his prescient post back in December?

We do seem to be very poor at U23 level why is that? Obviously the new acadamy having no affect yet. Or do we blame the coaching staff at that level?

Just a reminder of the team's final 18 matches of the season:-

P:18 W:15 D:3 L:0 FOR:53 AGAINST:7 GD:46

11 clean sheets, and not more than 1 goal conceded in any match.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have only seen him a couple of times but have been brought up on making a snap decision about a player in one of 3 grades. No he wont make it, worth 2nd look and yes he is destined for the top.

Just to answer AZ Gull when I made the remark about the U23s I was acting on press reports etc not on my own personal views. In fairness they have improved greatly as the season has gone on to achieve deserved promotion. after having a very dubious start.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I have only seen him a couple of times but have been brought up on making a snap decision about a player in one of 3 grades. No he wont make it, worth 2nd look and yes he is destined for the top.

Just to answer AZ Gull when I made the remark about the U23s I was acting on press reports etc not on my own personal views. In fairness they have improved greatly as the season has gone on to achieve deserved promotion.

You weren’t around when a certain Ian Wright had a trial for us were you?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes but had no input into the decision as I hadnt been sent to watch him. I recommended Paul Rogers when playing at Sutton and Trevor Steven playing for Burnley reserves but was over ruled by the then head scout on each player who said that Rogers wasnt good enough and Steven was too small. I was sent to Sutton to report on a centre forward Francis Awaratife and spotted Rogers but we were berten for his signature by Sheff Utd and it took a long time for him to come to us.

Last edited:

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Dallison is absolute quality, but suffered from us being promoted. He always looked like a man amongst boys in the U23's, always standing out as a great ball playing centre half too. Had we not gone up last season, i think Dallison would have been around the first team.

The only thing i'll say that keeps be a bit reserved is that he's had a couple of loans out, started well but then drifted out of the team and ended up back with us.

He had quite a lot of interest from England but to play in the Scottish Championship isn't too bad. Needs to form a career and show what he can do. I'll keep a close eye on him

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Dallison is absolute quality, but suffered from us being promoted. He always looked like a man amongst boys in the U23's, always standing out as a great ball playing centre half too. Had we not gone up last season, i think Dallison would have been around the first team.

The only thing i'll say that keeps be a bit reserved is that he's had a couple of loans out, started well but then drifted out of the team and ended up back with us.

He had quite a lot of interest from England but to play in the Scottish Championship isn't too bad. Needs to form a career and show what he can do. I'll keep a close eye on him

We obviously disagree about Tom Dallison on the limited times that I have seen him. He struck me as promised a lot then failed to live up to his promise when required to do so. West Ham then Arsenal and now us appear to have formed the same opinion about him. Hope he does well in Scotland.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

Exactly correct IMO....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
He isn't doing too badly for himself considering he only started playing in goal during his U-16 schoolboy season :ohmy:

He played mainly as a centre-back before that.

People talk about the Academy paying, and meaning players getting into the first team squad but these youngsters going straight into league football is also bringing in some income.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
People talk about the Academy paying, and meaning players getting into the first team squad but these youngsters going straight into league football is also bringing in some income.

It is, and it all helps, but it is small change compared to the millions of pounds it costs to run the academy every year.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here