Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Does anyone have mental health problems?

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Yeah it's a pain in the ass, I was fine but today every conversation I have ends in me thinking that they think I'm weird and horrible. People that don't have it don't understand how difficult it is. I hate hoaring it out but it's ****ing ruining the experience.

Blag it, cos it's unlikely to be a true perception of reality. That said, it's naive to think that it definitely isn't true, because not everything you perceive can be wrong. Ultimately: style it out and hope for the best now, but think of ways to deal with the horrific loneliness of life if people consistently don't think much of you long term

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Blag it, cos it's unlikely to be a true perception of reality. That said, it's naive to think that it definitely isn't true, because not everything you perceive can be wrong. Ultimately: style it out and hope for the best now, but think of ways to deal with the horrific loneliness of life if people consistently don't think much of you long term

Bloody hell, he needs you doesn't he?

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
Quite a few i would think.

Depression 2.6 in 100 people
Anxiety 4.7 in 100 people
Mixed anxiety and depression 9.7 in 100 people
Phobias 2.6 in 100 people
OCD 1.3 in 100 people
Panic disorder 1.2 in 100 people
Post traumatic stress disorder 3.0 in 100 people
Eating disorders 1.6 in 100 people

Totals almost 27 in 100

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Good luck [MENTION=28761]carteater[/MENTION]. Pop along and see a GP or student adviser as has been said.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Yeah it's a pain in the ass, I was fine but today every conversation I have ends in me thinking that they think I'm weird and horrible. People that don't have it don't understand how difficult it is. I hate hoaring it out but it's ****ing ruining the experience.

Sounds a bit like social anxiety, which runs through our family and my daughter, who is currently at university, has been struggling quite badly, not helped by the fact that the designated GP for her campus is about 70 years old with apparently no understanding of mental health whatsoever.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just moved to uni. Was fine for the last two days. The anxiety has hit me so hard today. I can't do anything.

Hi Carteater, I've been suffering with anxiety over the past couple of years or so on a work related project. It is debilitating, and you cannot seem to force your mind from thinking of things that a) haven't happened, or b) unlikely to happen but you're anxious about them anyway. In my case, AnxietyUK have been helping, and for one the physical symptoms of anxiety have helped me understand what is going on. Anxiety is often caused by our flight or fight response to a fear, very primal, but the body releases adrenaline, the blood goes from your stomach and other areas to your muscles, your heart rate increases, and basically your body is primed to do something - only in modern life that fear isn't a bear threatening your family, it is your fear (whatever that is) and your brain then doesn't know how to deal with, and you end up with what can be termed an adrenaline cascade. I've had this where I can't eat, racing heart rate, can't concentrate or stop worrying about the matter/fear, sleep is disturbed and disrupted, and all in all it isn't very pleasant.

First thing I've found that people like Max Strom talk about, is simple breathing and calming techniques. Apps like Headspace or Mindfulness, yeah all sounds a bit new age, but it is all about calming your mind and body, stopping that flight or fight response and just trying to put a bit of perspective in place. I have found this helps. If you PM me your email address, I'll send you some useful stuff AnxietyUK sent me.

The other thing I've done is change certain things. I've taken my work email off my phone, I turn off any notifications at all from 7pm. Small changes, but what were subtle triggers in my day to day life.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) then might be the next step. This is just a process of identifying how your mind thinks sending you down these panic alleys and into negativity and anxiety. It's not a magic wand, but honestly, in the architecture profession I have spoken to so many friends who have been through this and found its helped them. Perhaps it might be something you could talk about to someone at the University, they will be well equipped, and you are certainly not on your own!

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/anxiety-and-panic-attacks/#.WbuEVq3MyEI

Last edited:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Cheers mate. I was a horrible person who never really believed that strongly in mental illness untill I started suffering myself. Once I knew what it was like I'm always happy to help others who are feeling the same way.

You are not a horrible person, you sound caring and sensitive, a good way to be. Get out and enjoy Bristol, it's a brilliant city.

I assume from the fact that you've only been there a couple of days that most of your conversations are with relative strangers. You're probably making the mistake of assuming the people you are talking to are all self assured and confident in their own skin when in fact they are going through exactly the same anxieties as you at meeting all these new people. Their anxieties and insecurities are probably giving off certain negative vibes which you are picking up on which makes you send out negative vibes of your own.
Even the most outwardly confident people can be wracked with insecurities and anxieties in certain social situations. Their overly confident manner is just their coping mechanism.

that is so true

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
“Sometimes someone isn’t ready to see the bright side. Sometimes they need to sit with the shadow first. So be a friend and sit with them. Make the darkness beautiful.” - Victoria Erickson

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Cheers mate. I was a horrible person who never really believed that strongly in mental illness untill I started suffering myself. Once I knew what it was like I'm always happy to help others who are feeling the same way.

Hi Carteater, I've been suffering with anxiety over the past couple of years or so on a work related project. It is debilitating, and you cannot seem to force your mind from thinking of things that a) haven't happened, or b) unlikely to happen but you're anxious about them anyway. In my case, AnxietyUK have been helping, and for one the physical symptoms of anxiety have helped me understand what is going on. Anxiety is often caused by our flight or fight response to a fear, very primal, but the body releases adrenaline, the blood goes from your stomach and other areas to your muscles, your heart rate increases, and basically your body is primed to do something - only in modern life that fear isn't a bear threatening your family, it is your fear (whatever that is) and your brain then doesn't know how to deal with, and you end up with what can be termed an adrenaline cascade. I've had this where I can't eat, racing heart rate, can't concentrate or stop worrying about the matter/fear, sleep is disturbed and disrupted, and all in all it isn't very pleasant.

First thing I've found that people like Max Strom talk about, is simple breathing and calming techniques. Apps like Headspace or Mindfulness, yeah all sounds a bit new age, but it is all about calming your mind and body, stopping that flight or fight response and just trying to put a bit of perspective in place. I have found this helps. If you PM me your email address, I'll send you some useful stuff AnxietyUK sent me.

The other thing I've done is change certain things. I've taken my work email off my phone, I turn off any notifications at all from 7pm. Small changes, but what were subtle triggers in my day to day life.

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) then might be the next step. This is just a process of identifying how your mind thinks sending you down these panic alleys and into negativity and anxiety. It's not a magic wand, but honestly, in the architecture profession I have spoken to so many friends who have been through this and found its helped them. Perhaps it might be something you could talk about to someone at the University, they will be well equipped, and you are certainly not on your own!

https://www.mind.org.uk/information-support/types-of-mental-health-problems/anxiety-and-panic-attacks/#.WbuEVq3MyEI

just want to say how interesting your post is, although not posted for my benefit thank you :thumbsup:

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
Feel like I made a group of friends but they've all paired off with each other and I'm on my own. Try to talk to people now and they blow me off. Once an outcast always an outcast

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
Yes. Was hospitalised for a week after a particularly bad May/June. Was the scariest thing that ever happened to me. But it had to happen, because when it did I finally realised what I was going through was all relative, and I had tons of support from family and friends who I didn't necessarily appreciate were there.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Feel like I made a group of friends but they've all paired off with each other and I'm on my own. Try to talk to people now and they blow me off. Once an outcast always an outcast

No you're not. I have social anxiety and find meeting new people very difficult if I'm not in the right frame of mind. I never went to university so it's easy for me to say but give it a few more days. If I compare it to a new job try and talk to the more introverted people - they're usually much more understanding. Try and catch them when they're on their own.

You'll get through this and it'll become easier. As others have said you've got many qualities on here with your sense of humour and politeness. All the best and remember, you're as good as anyone. :thumbsup:

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I feel like I should've sorted my head out before committing to something like a degree.
I'm going on a wave, sometimes I feel absolutely fine, focused, driven and optimistic but this is only rarely.
Most of the time I question everything I do, I'm not sure whether I've made the right decision, I just criticise myself, and feel like shit, no motivation to do anything, nothing I learn goes in anymore.
Sometimes I feel like I'm only keeping myself here for other people, wouldn't want to put my family or friends through any grief.
I keep on meaning to get some support but when it comes around to it I feel fine, maybe I just need to pull myself together and it's all made up.
I just don't know anymore.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I feel like I should've sorted my head out before committing to something like a degree.
I'm going on a wave, sometimes I feel absolutely fine, focused, driven and optimistic but this is only rarely.
Most of the time I question everything I do, I'm not sure whether I've made the right decision, I just criticise myself, and feel like shit, no motivation to do anything, nothing I learn goes in anymore.
Sometimes I feel like I'm only keeping myself here for other people, wouldn't want to put my family or friends through any grief.
I keep on meaning to get some support but when it comes around to it I feel fine, maybe I just need to pull myself together and it's all made up.

Is there someone you can speak to there today? Or make an appointment today?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003

Check out the SA-UK forum, lots of uni students who suffer with SA post on there. Can be a good and supportive resource. Like yourself, my daughter has good and bad days with it (as do I) and focusing on uni studies can be difficult for her.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

It's not made up. You don't just need to pull yourself together. Get some support, it's there and it will help.

Been there and I understand exactly how you feel but the ups get fewer and the downs get more frequent and it's a dangerous game to play to ignore it.

You will be fine mate. You just need to talk to someone and get the ball rolling on feeling better. Best of luck.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

I understand your problems. It sounds like it could be bi-polar you may be suffering from. There's a drug called Lamotrigine which you can get prescribed which will have a very positive effect on your ups and downs. It's also prescribed to people who suffer from gran mal seizures which shows how serious and uncontrollable Bi-polar actually is. Obviously there's a big chance you haven't got Bi-polar but it's worth going to your GP and enquiring.
It's good you are able to admit your problems, many people's biggest weakness in terms of mental health is pride. You clearly haven't got any ego issues or narcissistic personality issues, so if you did receive help, you'll have no problem using the help to full advantage. Don't take any notice of some of the people/users in life who use ill mental health as an insult or a put down. All what's going on there is projection of their own health issues they are massively denying.
Maybe once you've overcome this illness which is making life very hard for you right now, you could even consider careers in mental health or social work as you'll have a very good understanding of it, plus a lot of compassion for anyone suffering from mental illness.
But please, don't consider anything which puts you and your life at risk. It maybe you one day saving someone from similar issues.

If you ever need anyone to talk to if times get unbearable, please PM me and I promise i'll try and help you in the best way I can.

All the best and good luck with your journey to happiness. I'm sure you'll make it with flying colours.

Last edited:

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014

Its times like this when I wish I was able to reply to you with something profound and uplifting.
Instead, all I can say is keep going and speak to your GP.
Best of luck mate

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex

Was so close to going into Wetherspoons and getting ****ed and debating whether to pay a visit to Severn bridge or not. Good thing I bumped into mates. Still feel terrible. There was a time where drinking helped. But now it doesnt. It just makes it worse. Why can't I just feel normal cause nothing that bad has ever happened to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here