Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Night games - what was your first?

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Night time matches are special. The floodlights, the atmosphere: they just have an added something. I'm reminded about this today because Ipswich was my first ever night-time match, as a young kid, way back in 1976 in the League Cup. We won 2-1 and Fred Binney scored in front of 27,000 at The Goldstone. Unbelievably exciting. Anyone else on their first night matches?

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Night time matches are special. The floodlights, the atmosphere: they just have an added something. I'm reminded about this today because Ipswich was my first ever night-time match, as a young kid, way back in 1976 in the League Cup. We won 2-1 and Fred Binney scored in front of 27,000 at The Goldstone. Unbelievably exciting. Anyone else on their first night matches?

I've not got records to hand but my first Albion game was a night game, either barrow or York I think and around 62/63. If course may be wrong

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Albion 2 Palace 0 mid seventies. 30,000 crowd I believe and we were in the South Stand with loads of Palace fans. Harry Wilson marking Peter Taylor out of the game. Early 1976 and a fantastic atmosphere.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
My first evening floodlit game was Brighton's first game under the new lights at the Goldstone, a friendly against Frem (Copenhagen) in 1961.

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Albion 2 Palace 0 mid seventies. 30,000 crowd I believe and we were in the South Stand with loads of Palace fans. Harry Wilson marking Peter Taylor out of the game. Early 1976 and a fantastic atmosphere.

I so remember that game and the atmosphere electric

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Always loved the Goldstone evening games. People say that it's just nostalgia talking but for me there was definitely a better atmosphere than the Amex especially the night games

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
League cup tie with Wolves (1969?). We lost 3-2 to a team that was then in Div 1. Cracking game and can never really forget the first sight of the Goldstone with the floodlights on

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Brighton v Rochdale 1972 - the night we got promoted after a 1 -1 draw. Totally hooked on night games from then on. The view of the ground, as you walked past the church near the south east corner - floodlights, a fug of smoke and the North Stand already in full voice - magic, just magic

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Can't remember the first evening game at the goldstone, but I remember my first away game was Watford in 1974/5. Won I think.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
My first ever game. The evening of 17th October 1965. York City. 3-1 win. Just over 14,000 for this division 3 game. That was me hooked.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
My first evening floodlit game was Brighton's first game under the new lights at the Goldstone, a friendly against Frem (Copenhagen) in 1961.

The same for me. These new-fangled floodlight thingys were truly wondrous at the time. I winder how bright they really were compared to today's HD-TV standard lights? I remember at the Goldstone always counting how many lamps were not working on each pylon, and the expectation when they fickered into life when turned on at half-time in winter.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The first one I can remember was an FA Cup replay against Man U - probably around 80-81. Going to have to look it up now. I remember Stapleton playing.

Edit - 7/1/1981

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I cannot be 100% certain of my first Albion match, but I know my first night match was against Bradford City.
It would have been around 1970 and I remember as a kid thinking that their orange and claret stripes were amazing under floodlights.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
My first night game was my first ever match..
8 years old with my dad and against Millwall in 1964.
Couldnt believe all those big blokes from London going into the East Terraces using words I'd never heard before

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

That was mine too! 34,300 attendance, in the third tier... and Palace were only mid-table at the time. I believe. It was March 1976. I was in the East Terrace, probably standing on a crate! It was my second Brighton game - and the one that got me hooked.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
16 April 1975 may not have been my first, but it is the first I remember, because it was a disappointing dull 0-0 vs Halifax Town :shit:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Brighton v Rochdale 1972 - the night we got promoted after a 1 -1 draw. Totally hooked on night games from then on. The view of the ground, as you walked past the church near the south east corner - floodlights, a fug of smoke and the North Stand already in full voice - magic, just magic

Oh yeah, I was at that one, too. Must have been to lots of night games 69-76, but its all a blur now. I remember the smell of pipe smoke and wintergreen ointment, and the lights reflecting off Stewart Henderson's well-greased thighs.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here