Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs India Fifth Test - The Oval

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I've just posted on the Durham v Sussex thread that ex-Sussex (and England) batsman Alan Oakman died today. I reckon you have to be 60 plus to have seen him play. Good player + very tall (especially when you are 10.)

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I've just posted on the Durham v Sussex thread that ex-Sussex (and England) batsman Alan Oakman died today. I reckon you have to be 60 plus to have seen him play. Good player + very tall (especially when you are 10.)

I remember my Dad talking about him.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
You can't talk of England's lower order as thought they are all rabbits who've miraculously got a bit lucky in this series. Buttler, Ali, Woakes, Broad, Curran are all-rounders, England are truly blessed in that regard and any side facing us in English conditions find it hard to achieve a series win.

India have been too reliant on Kohli for runs and have struggled throughout the series against the swing and seam onslaught. All of our bowlers have - at one time or another - looked like world-beaters against this lot. It is going to be 4-1 to England and India will return to the sub-continent duly chastened.

That said, I am under no illusion that were we to play them in India the series result would be the same in reverse.

I think you misunderstood my comment, I think we have a very fine middle and lower order, it is those at the top, picked purely to get runs, who have been poor and have had to have their nuts pulled out of the fire by Curran and Buttler etc.

Last edited:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's heading for a long drawn out draw.

Not if you read with comments on Cricinfo from the India fans! They're 50/50 between slating the 'biased' commentary and looking forward to the 'miracle' that's about to occur.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I would think so but India have already passed the highest winning 4th innings total of 263.

If it starts to look likely, bowling and field will become very defensive, making scoring fast enough too difficult - that, and wearing pitches, are why successful 4th innings chases are usually not high. There are loads of examples of teams scoring high in the 4th innings, just not to win the game.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
They're going for it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They're going for it.

Kind of hope they at least get close - will be completely astonishing if they do get there, and think they deserve better than a 4-1 loss. New ball will be interesting - will either get into the tail, or disappear to the boundary even quicker. Absolutely riveting stuff.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
New ball available. Will probably change things.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here