Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roll Call for Birmingham Tuesday 5th April - #2kforBrum

AWAYDAY

Jul 21, 2009
Early arrival, pub crawl, St.Andrews, night out in Brum, attempt to find my hotel before check out time..

theboybilly

Is it possible to get back as far as Brighton on the train after the game?

Apologies - I'm lazy and I know the likes of [MENTION=238]Uncle Buck[/MENTION] and [MENTION=588]8ace[/MENTION] will know the score.

Bus No 60 from opposite the away turnstiles (adj Arthur Street) leaves at 9:42, ride 18 mins to Pavilions then a 6 minute walk to BNS station. Tight but do-able

Edit: or pre-book a taxi to pick you up from outside the Ibis hotel on the roundabout

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Tempted, but working that night. Might see if I can get the night off, though as various amongst you have pointed out, it's the school holidays, I'm guessing the chances are that all the selfish parents in the office have booked the week off (hence I can't make the Burnley game as things stand :cry: ).

Also have to factor in needing to save leave for potential play off games etc, as I've already noted that I'm working one shift or another on every single play off semi final date. Grrrrr..

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Driving up with the lad. Whats parking like nearby?

I've parked at the ground before. There was a car park outside the away end. Don't think it cost much.

Also agree with [MENTION=46]Lush[/MENTION], I can't say I've ever felt particularly threatened by the local area. Alright, it's hardly Kew Gardens around there, but Anfield to name but one is in a far worse location.

redseagull

Jan 4, 2010
exiled in the Midlands
Me - cos I'm exiled in Birmingham! Being someone familiar with the 'locals' I would echo the sentiments of earlier posters- Blues fans have something of a chip on their shoulder & seem to hate supporters of every other club equally , colours not advised for that reason as well as the fact that most pubs in the city centre won't let you in either ! Trains into New St station ( you'll find it looks a bit different from previous visits !), then a 25 ish minute walk, 97 bus or £6-7 cab. Plenty of decent pubs in city centre , edging toward Digebth area is closer to the ground but not too full of neanderthals. Parking - some schools & churches near the ground or Digbeth area again a 10 minute walk . Hope this helps

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Me - cos I'm exiled in Birmingham! Being someone familiar with the 'locals' I would echo the sentiments of earlier posters- Blues fans have something of a chip on their shoulder & seem to hate supporters of every other club equally , colours not advised for that reason as well as the fact that most pubs in the city centre won't let you in either ! Trains into New St station ( you'll find it looks a bit different from previous visits !), then a 25 ish minute walk, 97 bus or £6-7 cab. Plenty of decent pubs in city centre , edging toward Digebth area is closer to the ground but not too full of neanderthals. Parking - some schools & churches near the ground or Digbeth area again a 10 minute walk . Hope this helps ��

Any particular pubs to recommend in City centre Digbeth side that might let us in?

PG

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I always recommend drinking in town. Some great craft ale establishments around New St.
Lots of building work and road closures at the moment though so might be more sensible to leave plenty of time to get to the ground.

I'm watching this one from the giddy heights of the directors' box so hoping I have to sit on my hands and keep quiet as the mighty seagulls romp to three points. Nothing worse than having to look enthusiastic when it's your own keeper picking the ball out of the net

redseagull

Jan 4, 2010
exiled in the Midlands
Any particular pubs to recommend in City centre Digbeth side that might let us in?

PG
Pubs on John Bright St are pretty good ( Cherry Reds , Brewdog , Victoria . The Railway is cheap & a bit rough & ready though. Centre of town , Shakespeare & Trocdero are good 'normal boozers', both on Temple st . The Wellington on the next road up is good for real ale. Digbeth is hit & miss " mainly Irish pubs, The Anchor at the back of the coach station is good for real ale , The old Crown further up is ok too , may get some locals in there but they shouldn't be of the full on muppet variety . No pubs are overly welcoming of football fans though due to the inability of the local fans of any denomination to control themselves when they see a 'rival' !

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I always recommend drinking in town. Some great craft ale establishments around New St.
Lots of building work and road closures at the moment though so might be more sensible to leave plenty of time to get to the ground.

I'm watching this one from the giddy heights of the directors' box so hoping I have to sit on my hands and keep quiet as the mighty seagulls romp to three points. Nothing worse than having to look enthusiastic when it's your own keeper picking the ball out of the net

But I don't have a beard, will that be acceptable in the craft ale establishments?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Definite possibility. Last time I was there (90's) spent some of the first half in the home end with two friends because of a poor away allocation of tickets selling out. After we went 2 - 0 up (celebrated both goals) we were moved to the away section for 'our own safety'. Think it ended 3 - 3.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
So long as it's Volt and not Crimson....the pub shall sort itself.
We've only worn the Crimson on the 2 occasions we've had 3 away games in 8 days.

Each time we had 1 game in blue and white ( hull x 2 ), 1 game in volt ( rotherham, bristol city ), and 1 game in crimson ( blackburn, cardiff ).

I don't think we'll see crimson again.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Definite possibility. Last time I was there (90's) spent some of the first half in the home end with two friends because of a poor away allocation of tickets selling out. After we went 2 - 0 up (celebrated both goals) we were moved to the away section for 'our own safety'. Think it ended 3 - 3.

I was at that one with, amongst others, [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION]. Crazy game where we spoiled their promotion party somewhat.

Karen Brady gave us the smallest allocation possible so we were somewhat outnumbered that day.

I don't recall any specific trouble but it wasn't a pleasant atmosphere, neither in nor around the ground.

theboybilly

I am fairly tempted...
What station is the best to go to?

Another reason a Saturday fixture would have been preferable at St Andrews: Bordesley station is a 'Parliamentary' railway station in that it only has a very, very limited service (maybe one or two a day - enough to keep it functioning) but on matchdays they run trains to & from Moor Street. They probably will on the 5th April but that won't be much use to folk heading for the last train out of New Street to get them home that night.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I'm in with my boy - making the most of the school holidays and taking him to his first midweek away match (have done plenty of Saturday away days with him). Am booked on to the Seagull Travel coach so that I can sleep the way home !

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Really? I've been twice and it seemed to be just up from a roundabout on the ring road, and you can park in a church-manned bit of waste ground virtually next to the ground. Not very residential and barely saw any locals apart from those queuing for burgers. No bother at all.

I agree. I was on the coach, and, even though our fans had been abusing Marcos Painter's cousin for most of the match, outside the ground was quite calm and clear.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I was at that one with, amongst others, [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION]. Crazy game where we spoiled their promotion party somewhat.

Karen Brady gave us the smallest allocation possible so we were somewhat outnumbered that day.

I don't recall any specific trouble but it wasn't a pleasant atmosphere, neither in nor around the ground.

We would normally have been behind the goal but we had about 1500? at the side surrounded by Brummies. Remember a deafening rendition of that keep right on song and as you say a rather tense atmosphere before during and after the game. Happy memories!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here