Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

On a slightly different subject - Sea Shanties

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Had a great day at Falmouth's International Sea Shanty festival yesterday, and made a point of watching the Wellington Wailers, from the Duke of Wellington in Shoreham. Didn't know what to expect, but they were excellent singers, and most entertaining.

Anyone seen them up your way?

Edit: Some of the "call and response" stuff might go down well at the Amex!

EOS70D-4141.jpg

EOS70D-4128.jpg

EOS70D-4108.jpg

EOS70D-4109.jpg

Last edited:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I know plenty of sea shanties from my time in the Navy but none are fit for public ears, never mind The Amex !!

There was some pretty raunchy stuff, away from the family areas. I imagine you were always keen to get back to port, for the girls like Betty...

EOS70D-4146.jpg

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Shiver me frickin' timbers Oxy!

Hold on, it wasn't all "comedy pirates". There were some real ones that turned their hands to highway robbery - cars weren't allowed to pass without paying a ransom.

EOS70D-4157.jpg

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Hi Oxy, I'm off to Falmouth in a few weeks. What do you recommend there?

That's a pretty big question - depends exactly when you're going, and what sort of crowd you're with. We only go when there's something interesting on, but there's usually something happening.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Fisherman's Friends are pretty well-known for this sort of thing

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Thanks [MENTION=2194]Oxy McFloppie-Tish[/MENTION] and [MENTION=588]8ace[/MENTION] we're in a holiday let - Mrs, kids and parents in law. I'll consider anything after a few days.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I know a few sea shanties from my dear old dad R.I.P.

They'll be handed on to my kids....when they're old enough!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Thanks [MENTION=2194]Oxy McFloppie-Tish[/MENTION] and [MENTION=588]8ace[/MENTION] we're in a holiday let - Mrs, kids and parents in law. I'll consider anything after a few days.

Plenty to do down there - boat rides, two castles, maritime museum, aquarium, beaches, walks, shops, pubs, cinema, train to Truro, etc. Endless possibilities in the rest of Cornwall. Can be tricky if the weather is wet, though. See http://www.falmouth.co.uk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Fisherman's Friends are pretty well-known for this sort of thing

Sadly, Fishermans Friends packed it in after the death of one of them in an accident, they could not carry on, that was the last I heard anyway.
Falmouth is a great place to base yourself when visiting that end of Cornwall. All the other suggestions plus The Lizard and The Minac Theatre and Porthcurno beach.
I like to take the tiny lanes off of main roads in the direction of the sea you will end up in villages with a little beach, its like going back 40 years in some places.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Sadly, Fishermans Friends packed it in after the death of one of them in an accident, they could not carry on, that was the last I heard anyway.

They were singing to a huge crowd at the festival on Sunday.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here