[Albion] Work Christmas Do

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Self-employed, so nada for me. Did enough years at a large local employer though to ensure I've had my fill, and won't miss the enforced jollity, the normally so-so or awful food (normally much more expensive than they regularly charge, for lesser quality/lukewarm/reheated), and the person who always takes things far too far. Must've done at least 30 of the things, normally somewhere in Brighton or Hove.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Most of the places I’m involved with have far too many employees who don’t turn up these days to justify the companies paying for something that only ~50% of employees benefit from. Last year we worked out how much/head we would spend if attendance was 100%. With food, drink, accommodation, travel etc, it came out to £250. This year, we’ve just given everyone an extra £250 in their December pay packets.

Not one single complaint across 4 companies. Plus - the company benefits from not having lost productivity from arranging the parties and from post-party “illness”.

Personally, I’m slightly saddened that we don’t do them any more, but :shrug:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I worked briefly for a very small professional firm, owned by a respectable guy in his mid 30’s. He always sought to make the firm appear more corporate and national than it really was. He chose a posh London dinner club and bars for our do. But, he couldn’t handle his drink. Like a light switch going off, he became rude and aggressive. He insulted some women on our shared dinner table and in a bar tried to start a fight with Ukrainian bouncers twice his size as they asked us to leave.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Mine is tomorrow at a restaurant in town, dreading it really. Company have put £350 towards it which works out just over £11 each. Unless ground rules are set that drink are paid for at the bar it will end up in a row like a couple of years ago when some people were just having one course meal and a couple of drinks while others were having 3 courses with numerous expensive cocktails and bottles of wine and then expected everyone to split the bill equally between everyone. I didn't go that year (thank fook) but if the same happens this year, I will only be paying for what I have had plus a small little extra.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I didn't go that year (thank fook) but if the same happens this year, I will only be paying for what I have had plus a small little extra.

Good on you. It never fails to amaze me how inconsiderate and greedy people can be on such occasions. Surely they know (roughly) the cost of their food and drinks yet they are happy to let others subsidise them.

So many own goals when companies think they are doing the right thing at Christmas.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It never fails to amaze me how inconsiderate and greedy people can be on such occasions. Surely they know (roughly) the cost of their food and drinks yet they are happy to let others subsidise them.

My favourite is the cock who, with drink taken, decides to start ordering double brandies while failing to realise that the bill for the company meal has already been settled :lol:

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
A dinner on the last work day (Friday 21st) so lots of time to recover afterwards. Company pay for everything including as much drink as you can muster. Secret santa is obligatory but these all have a saucy angle so much hilarity ensues with Christmas pants on head and many innuendos, end of the night is when the last person is standing - I think last year it finished at about 7pm and we all realised we are not as young as we were and couldnt drink that much anymore. Sad state of affairs.

Someone on the outside looking in would think we are a old bunch of goons. I quite enjoy it.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I have a total of 4 nights off between now and Dec 31st. I shall be spending those with friends and family not work colleagues. Such is fine as we don’t do a Christmas party as at least half the staff who are in rotation wouldn’t be able to attend.
I have been invited to my old place of work’s do but I’m working so cannot attend. I still have friends there that I meet up with regularly, we had breakfast just this morning in fact so I’m not bothered . Also the workplace busybody has muscled in on it this year and rather than the usual night at the pub she’s passing forms round asking for contributions towards pub nibbles and ideas for activities. Fun by committee, shove it up your bollocks.

Last edited:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
So you're making your partner go to an event where she'll barely know a soul and she has to stay sober so she can drive you home?

With the rest being bought for you, why not go crazy and get a cab/Uber and let your other half get into the seasonal spirit too?

(* - unless she's teetotal of course)

Correct Boz, she doesn't drink!:O
Plus she does know the other halves:bla:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I have a total of 4 nights off between now and Dec 31st. I shall be spending those with friends and family not work colleagues. Such is fine as we don’t do a Christmas party as at least half the staff who are in rotation wouldn’t be able to attend.
I have been invited to my old place of work’s do but I’m working so cannot attend. I still have friends there that I meet up with regularly, we had breakfast just this morning in fact so I’m not bothered . Also the workplace busybody has muscled in on it this year and rather than the usual night at the pub she’s passing forms round asking for contributions towards pub nibbles and ideas for activities. Fun by committee, shove it up your bollocks.

Wrong person.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here