Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
It depends why you are running. I did it to lose weight and get fit. I started a few months ago, at Easter I weighed 15 stone 4, so I changed my diet to a healthy one and when I lost a bit of weight I started running. Today I weigh 12 stone 8 and couldn't care less about my pace or the time it takes. I would be interested to know what other people's weight was and is now. One way to improve your pace is to join in Park runs, run with other people and plenty of them will give you tips.

I've dropped just over a stone since I've gotten interested in running half marathons from a recent high of 13 stone (not exactly a chubby-funster).

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
I've always been between 10-11 stone and quite lean so don't tend to lose or gain weight quickly. Started because I wanted to get fitter and loose a bit of a belly that has started to form! Although I knew I wasn't as fit as I was when I was in my early teens I was shocked at how unfit I was! I'll have to start planning some different routes with hills in and stop avoiding them! Probably off out this evening so will have to see if I can up my pace a bit and push, Think I'm on the 2nd of 2 30 mins continuous runs. Started off too quick last time and struggled at the finish.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Spot on. If you want to get faster, you need to er, run faster. It's actually quite simple. Also helps with weight loss (higher intensity training, metabolism raised etc). An interval session once or twice a week will make a world of difference, whatever your standard.

If it's of any interest, I was just under 18 stone when I did my first 'run'. About the same as you now and did my 41st marathon (or longer) on Saturday. I'm not at all quick, just love running.

Reading your times on here you are quick, I doubt very much that could go under 25.00 for 5k or that I would want to try, I have a lot of respect for the fast runners, it takes a lot of mental strength as well as just fitness running that quick

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Don't know how you lot get that kind of pace! I seem to have plateaued at about 10 min/mile pace over about 3 miles. I suppose I shouldn't be looking for too much improvement in pace as my 5km-10km training plan is more about building up the distance/time so I should be happy with longer distances/times maintained at the same pace?

No ambitions to run further than 10km at the end of this plan so maybe I'll work on improving pace once I get there! Anyone got any good tips for improving pace over a certain distance or is it just a case running them again and again?

Just by keeping going out you will get quicker. As I posted on this very thread, I started running on January 23rd when I was probably the heaviest I've ever been. On that run I averaged 10:40 miles. Last week, on July 23rd, six months to the day after I started, I ran a 5km in 22:49, averaging 7:21 miles. Six months ago I would have told you I would struggle to ever reach 25 mins for 5km. Now I can just go and run that at will. Since April I've run a half-marathon every month - so four in total so far - and each one has been quicker than the last.

There were times where I've felt like I've plateaued and I've stopped progressing pace-wise and then suddenly I made an improvement, sometimes a big one.

I don't know what I'm capable of, but I'm looking forward to finding out as I keep trying.

Stick with it - I promise you that you will amaze yourself.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It depends why you are running. I did it to lose weight and get fit. I started a few months ago, at Easter I weighed 15 stone 4, so I changed my diet to a healthy one and when I lost a bit of weight I started running. Today I weigh 12 stone 8 and couldn't care less about my pace or the time it takes. I would be interested to know what other people's weight was and is now.

Great effort that!

I'm similar. As of this week I'm down 2st 11lb since January. My weight loss has really slowed down but I've gone back to some bad food and drink habits. It's still going in the right direction though, so I'm not unhappy with the balance of running and troughing right now!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Remember no Preston Park or Hove Prom Park Run tomorrow, Hove Park will be busy. If I get chance I'll try and get up and have a watch.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Great effort that!

I'm similar. As of this week I'm down 2st 11lb since January. My weight loss has really slowed down but I've gone back to some bad food and drink habits. It's still going in the right direction though, so I'm not unhappy with the balance of running and troughing right now!

Not sure habits are 'bad'........I could run a lot better if I was lighter and ate better, but love your 'balance of running and troughing' phrase. Sums it ip for me. Can trundle along ok for most distances, and a decent weekly mileage means I can pig out and/or have a bottle of red without worrying about it.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
Great effort that!

I never thought I would ever see my weight fall below 13 stone, I am more then happy, the running is helping me to find a balance now, this morning I managed to run for an hour and run just over 10k. That now means I can enjoy my kebab and a few bottles of wine with friends tonight without feeling guilty. I ate healthy for 2 months while I was losing the weight, like you I have reached the point where I am not losing or putting weight on. The plus side is that I can now have junk food and alcohol now and again as long as I keep running

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Flew back from Asia last night, got home this morning, had a cuppa, decided to go out.......had a brilliant run for some reason. Weird, expected it to be rubbish.

http://www.strava.com/activities/358458182
[MENTION=24564]Steve.S[/MENTION] - I've been averaging 50+ miles a week this year and haven't lost anything. Must have the intake and usage balance about equal, but scary to think I have run off about 120-150,000 calories this year

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've gone from 15 and three quarters stone to 13 and a quarter - so a two and a half stone loss - since January. Again my weight loss rate has slowed down but it was still going until Thursday at Edgbaston where I must have consumed thousands of calories on beer alone - never mind the chips, curry and fry up in the morning.

Back to healthy eating and a booze free day again today and planning to do 12 or 13 miles if I can some time tomorrow before the Sevilla game.

Never thought I'd go quick either. I had a few runs in November doing 12 minute miles, gave up in December, started again in January with 10 and a half minute miles but recently ran a 50 minute 10k breaking the 25 mi n barrier for the first five of them and running a 7.44 mile. Next goals are a sub 50 10k, sub 1.30 ten miles and sub 2 hour HM.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've gone from 15 and three quarters stone to 13 and a quarter - so a two and a half stone loss - since January. Again my weight loss rate has slowed down but it was still going until Thursday at Edgbaston where I must have consumed thousands of calories on beer alone - never mind the chips, curry and fry up in the morning.

Back to healthy eating and a booze free day again today and planning to do 12 or 13 miles if I can some time tomorrow before the Sevilla game.

Never thought I'd go quick either. I had a few runs in November doing 12 minute miles, gave up in December, started again in January with 10 and a half minute miles but recently ran a 50 minute 10k breaking the 25 mi n barrier for the first five of them and running a 7.44 mile. Next goals are a sub 50 10k, sub 1.30 ten miles and sub 2 hour HM.

Having run for many years more than you I feel I need to point out where you could improve.

First stay for the Friday at Edgbaston, as planned. Secondly, forget about tomorrow's run and get prepared to come up to Trent Bridge for Thursday through to Sunday or even Monday.
Great crowd at Edgbaston wasn't it? glad I was looking at the Hollies Stand rather than being in it, though. Looked a bit messy.:lolol:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Having run for many years more than you I feel I need to point out where you could improve.

First stay for the Friday at Edgbaston, as planned. Secondly, forget about tomorrow's run and get prepared to come up to Trent Bridge for Thursday through to Sunday or even Monday.
Great crowd at Edgbaston wasn't it? glad I was looking at the Hollies Stand rather than being in it, though. Looked a bit messy.:lolol:

Good advice that. I am MASSIVELY regretting not being able to go on Friday. I was very much willing us to wrap it up by an innings on Thursday night :lolol:

Messy is the right word as well. Between the drips from the beer snakes and the beach ball that nearly fell in my pint I smelled like a brewery pretty much everywhere. Lucky the hotel had seen it all before!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Enough of all this cricket chat 😉 I pulled a 21.13 out of I don't know where this morning. Fastest time for about three years and 19 seconds off parkrun PB!

So maybe a sub 21 IS on by 5th September...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Enough of all this cricket chat �� I pulled a 21.13 out of I don't know where this morning. Fastest time for about three years and 19 seconds off parkrun PB!

So maybe a sub 21 IS on by 5th September...

Great running. No wind assistance either with a slight westerly. Glad I didn't turn up this morning! Feeling left behind at the moment but have to remember that I put July/August aside for rest, recovery, recuperation and recreation. September 5th will kill me.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
First ever half marathon today in 2.13.23.

The most spontanious run I've ever done as I had no real idea of where I was going or when I could set out. We had my youngest's friend over for a sleep over so I had no idea of how often we'd be up in the night and I needed someone else to be up before I could set off. In the end everyone got up early together.

Headed off to Shoreham and ran a bit of the trail alongside the Adur before doubling back and going along Shoreham Beach towards Lancing. It had everything everyone on here has recommended. Some hills, a bit of off road, some flat and a return home in a West to East direction., Will definitely be running it again.

I can have Harvey's at the Sevilla game now :)

https://www.strava.com/activities/359220630

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

The most spontanious run I've ever done as I had no real idea of where I was going or when I could set out. We had my youngest's friend over for a sleep over so I had no idea of how often we'd be up in the night and I needed someone else to be up before I could set off. In the end everyone got up early together.

Headed off to Shoreham and ran a bit of the trail alongside the Adur before doubling back and going along Shoreham Beach towards Lancing. It had everything everyone on here has recommended. Some hills, a bit of off road, some flat and a return home in a West to East direction., Will definitely be running it again.

Amazing - well done!

As I approached home on my first one I let out a big 'YES!' at the sudden realisation I'd just run that far without stopping.

Given our similar journeys on this running thing, I imagine you've had those 13m in your legs for quite a while.

Enjoy that well-deserved Harveys!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Amazing - well done!

As I approached home on my first one I let out a big 'YES!' at the sudden realisation I'd just run that far without stopping.

Given our similar journeys on this running thing, I imagine you've had those 13m in your legs for quite a while.

Enjoy that well-deserved Harveys!

Cheers :)

I knew I could probably do it after doing 11 miles last week. What I thought would be added complications of an unknown start time and making the route up as I went actually helped. I'd done 8 miles before I knew it and was pretty sure it was five miles home. The last mile was very, very painful but I did punch the air as the watch ticket over to 13.1 miles!.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Great effort and well done GB - right on my stomping ground.

Shoreham-by-Sea has it all - I don't need to leave the place and I've got hills, off-road, fast flat routes, and the sea to cool off in. I *may* be biased because I've lived here all my life, but I bloody love the place. 😎

16 miles for me to Brighton and back this morning - 2.20hrs and 2,400 calories burned. Harvey's AND pie on the menu this afternoon 😂

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Talking of first HMs, my debut one was the Silverstone half, ahead of London Marathon 2003. My first thought when I crossed the line was "I've got to do DOUBLE that in six week's time?"

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here