Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] We are totally embarrassing away from home...

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I’ve read the views of lots of Fantasy Football Managers on here and have thought long and hard about this. I’ve come to the conclusion that I will go with CH. One thing I like is his belief in Solly March. There was some abuse for him tonight on here when in my opinion him and FFS Murray were the stand out players for me in an appalling first half.
Do Saints fans call him FFS Murray like the Palace fans? They should!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agree. I think we have a real problem with Houghton's tactics in away games. The first half was dreadful and we didn't start playing until after half time … with the same eleven players. Far far too cautious in the first half. Manager's fault.

Who is this Houghton? What role does he play in the Albion set-up? Shouldn't he be leaving the tactics to the manager?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
First half we were shit. Second half Southampton were shit. Very much the cliche ‘game of two halves’. Maybe one day we’ll put together two good halves in a row.

yes ....i'm hoping that also , lets get some of these new signings up and firing , the negative , tentative , defensive mentality will damage us in the long run , we know we can give anyone a game when we have a go ........so lets have a go , hopefully totterringham have a torid night in milan and just roll over for us next week end ....???

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We gave ourselves a mountain to climb, and we're not always going to manage it. That first half was absolute, total and utter, Watford-esque dogshit. We were extremely lucky not to go in 3 down at the interval. I'm as relieved as anyone that we somehow scraped a draw in the end, but against anyone even semi-decent, we'd have been totally buried after half an hour.

I don't know if Hughton is sending them out with a "keep it tight, sit back, we'll get to an hour at 0-0 and maybe have a go" mentality, or whether the players are subconsciously going out there with that in mind, but the sheer PASSIVENESS we go out with on the road is massively damaging our chances of getting anything from these games. Southampton are a rotten team, their home record is appalling. That doesn't mean I expect us to go there and roll them over, but if you're going to bin off half the game and only start to get going when you're chasing, then you're obviously going to end up with an away record of 11 points from 57. Which is us right now.

Don't even get me started on Locadia.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
yes ....i'm hoping that also , lets get some of these new signings up and firing , the negative , tentative , defensive mentality will damage us in the long run , we know we can give anyone a game when we have a go ........so lets have a go , hopefully totterringham have a torid night in milan and just roll over for us next week end ....???

Struggling to reconcile 'defensive mentality' with 16 goals in 5 games (F7 A9). It was positively gung-ho in 2nd half.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
Absolutely baffling that Hughton plays the same way away from home week in week out when it clearly doesn’t work.

Absolutely baffling that you think we've played a 4-5-1 at home. After the Watford defeat, I think Hughton decided we couldn't cope with the luxury of Gross playing away from home and having just Stephens and Propper screening the defense hence why we played Bissouma away at Liverpool. Here was slightly different as Gross was injured, but I'm not sure he'd have started anyway, or if he did I think he would have played in more of a 3 with Stephens and Propper.

You can argue it didn't work, but to say he's just doing the same stuff away as at home is just plain wrong.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I am guessing CH had a tactics board showing do nothing down the right, however Southampton were very nervous proved very aptly by how they crumbled badly

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Thought we might be battered once their second went in but we seemed to react to it in a very positive manner, its as though the team all thought we are 2-0 down nothing to loose so go for it.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Agree. I think we have a real problem with Houghton's tactics in away games. The first half was dreadful and we didn't start playing until after half time … with the same eleven players. Far far too cautious in the first half. Manager's fault.

The fact that'd be gave them a rocket at half-time would suggest they were not doing what he anticipated/instructed in the first half. Players' fault.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Can scarcely recall a worse first hour than tonight, and I saw many of our defeats between 1997-99. I'm probably not a bedwetter, although I am a certified bellend.

Tactically shambolic, although almost totally redeemed by the seemingly miraculous result.

It's aggravating when people spend so much money and effort to follow us away only to witness the same uselessly hesitant approach for more than a year now. Can't convincingly complain when we've had so many great home results, but if that stops, we are scuppered.

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Can scarcely recall a worse first hour than tonight,

My memory bank is telling me that the whole 90 minutes at Watford was worse!
That really really REALLY was the pits.

I can barely recall us crossing the halfway line, let alone getting into any goalscoring positions in that game.
At least tonight we had the AK shot that got charged down in the 1st half, plus Bissouma's run that could have been productive if he hadn't slightly over run the ball .... and in the first 15 minutes of tonight's 2nd half Propper missed an easy header and there were other opportunities too.

I would suggest Watford was way worse ...........

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
We can't keep giving teams a forty-five minute head start.

If we play to our strengths I'm confident we can gain more away points this season than last and we may well need them. After the diabolical display at Watford I was impressed with our togetherness at Liverpool, pleased and somewhat surprised we didn't get humped.

The first half tonight was a step back towards the Watford performance and a decent side would have tied up the points before we turned up in the second half, luckily for us Southampton are as much in the scrap as we are. Imagine how they feel tonight to throw away a two goal lead at home to a side renowned for failing to score away, I suggest maybe their problems are greater than ours.

Two matches in a row now we've come from behind to salvage a point, shows great character and will no doubt harvest a belief in the players to keep them sharp for a difficult home fixture next weekend, where hopefully we'll play for the full ninety.

:albion2:

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
What a bedwetter thread. Wankweasels. Dry yourselves.

Sorry, still completely stand by this thread. We were abysmal for the first 60 minutes against one of the weakest sides in the league at home. Good character to come back but that may be one of our only opportunities for quite a while to register an away win and I don't think we even had a shot in the first half.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Sorry, still completely stand by this thread. We were abysmal for the first 60 minutes against one of the weakest sides in the league at home. Good character to come back but that may be one of our only opportunities for quite a while to register an away win and I don't think we even had a shot in the first half.
We were abysmal for the first 60 minutes? Didn't you watch the second half? We considerably upped our game and Sky's commentators praised our change and the possession stats showed our dominance. So no, whilst we were very bad for the first 45, we weren't for 60.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If there’s one place in this league you’d fancy an away team to get a result it’s Southampton, yet that’s now two seasons in a row where our tactics have ensured we’ve scraped a draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We were abysmal for the first 60 minutes? Didn't you watch the second half? We considerably upped our game and Sky's commentators praised our change and the possession stats showed our dominance. So no, whilst we were very bad for the first 45, we weren't for 60.

It was like a different team ran out for the second half. I really am at a loss to understand why we were so submissive and useless in the first half, it was one of the worst 45 mins I’ve seen us play for years, yes even worse than Watford. Maybe Huddersfield away over the last two years was worse but at least they looked a decent team against us. Saints were not that impressive, Redmond apart, we basically handed them the intitiative for 45 mins but they weren’t good enough to finish us off.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If there’s one place in this league you’d fancy an away team to get a result it’s Southampton, yet that’s now two seasons in a row where our tactics have ensured we’ve scraped a draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tactics or performance. ?

How did our tactics change in the second half ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here