Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] How did Knockaert do last season?

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Wingers rarely keep their form through an entire season and at least one of them will pick up an injury, so if you play with wingers you need strength in depth, hence Knocky, March, Izzy and Ali. All four will be needed if we are to be successful this season.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Oh, and talking of Iran, I had to laugh; in the west lower there was someone with an Iranian flag draped over the hoarding. Trouble is the tubby photographer sat smack dab in front of it.

Was he the one in the front row of WSL to the south of the away dugout? Was going mental waving an Iran flag every time Ali got near the ball. Good to see

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
This. Last year AK struggled in the first half of the season to showcase why he'd been Championship player of the season, and the net result was often a lot of sulking on the pitch - which I don't think does him much credit. He did have some outstanding games later in season, but this certainly raised enough doubt that he would be a creative player you could rely on in this league.

Think you also need totake into account the fact that his game needed to change last season, he was playing against much stronger defences week in and week out in the Premier League. He didn't have the license to get forward and take on his full back nearly as much as previously, and he had to add defensive skills to his gbame too. Not always an easy thing to learn.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
maybe in the Championship but last season Pascal Gross and others shouldered more of the creative responsibility

Gross certainly helped, but I think you’ll find we were amongst the lowest in chances created/shots on goal (seem to recall seeing a stat).

We are better when Knockaert is on form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ali will work his way into the side slowly, I want too see Jose, Knockaert and Ali in the same team :)
What does a pitch look like with 3 wings?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
LOL

It means - I think he was possibly bought to replace Knockeart; however that competition you refer to has seen Knocky raise his game and hence for now retain his place
So, so far we have spent £14M (?) on Locadia to improve Murray's game, £17M for Ali J. to get Knocky to up his game, and possibly £9M (?) to bring in Bissouma to make Gross improve and a substantial fee for Bernardo to make sure Bong tries even harder.......

............let's hope CH can find a cheaper way to make Stephens and Propper play better!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Knockaert is learning to adapt his game to the PL. His game is all about extravagance and swagger. It is about over-elaboration and over-playing. It is about flouncing and sulking and petulant displays. It is also about moments of brilliance that can change games in the blink of an eye. It is about effort, that rarely lacks and commitment to the cause.
In the Championship, he could get away with a lot more but not at the highest level. In the PL, its all about quick, simple and accurate football. You can't afford to dwell on the ball and give it away in dangerous areas. You have to keep your temperament under control against clever, cunning players. Your decision making has to be spot on.
He is finding it difficult at times to curb his natural impetuosity but he is getting better. On Saturday, we saw the best and worst of him. in the first half, gifted the ball 30 yards out, he had a clear run into the box and Murray completely free on his left. He dithered for a moment and the chance was lost. In the second half, he won possession, drove forward and rolled a perfect pass to Murray, for a goal.
He is already looking better than he did for most of last season and the new competition for places will hopefully spur him on even more.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
So, so far we have spent £14M (?) on Locadia to improve Murray's game, £17M for Ali J. to get Knocky to up his game, and possibly £9M (?) to bring in Bissouma to make Gross improve and a substantial fee for Bernardo to make sure Bong tries even harder.......

............let's hope CH can find a cheaper way to make Stephens and Propper play better!

Thats not what I said at all in my posts. I intenated that that the improvement of Knockeart concided with the arrival of a ''potential REPLACEMENT''. I never said they were brought in a specific attempt to improve the form of exhisting players.

Anyhow, I choose not to expand any further

larus

This. Last year AK struggled in the first half of the season to showcase why he'd been Championship player of the season, and the net result was often a lot of sulking on the pitch - which I don't think does him much credit. He did have some outstanding games later in season, but this certainly raised enough doubt that he would be a creative player you could rely on in this league.

I agree about the first half of the season, but I feel a lot of that may have been down to where his head was after his dad died. He seems a passionate/emotional guy and I feel this was a big factor last season.

I don’t go for all this macho shit of “just deal with it mate”, “they’re professionals and paid to play football”. We’re all human beings and have emotions and issues to deal with.

2nd half of last season and the start of this, he’s been much better.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Thats not what I said at all in my posts. I intenated that that the improvement of Knockeart concided with the arrival of a ''potential REPLACEMENT''. I never said they were brought in a specific attempt to improve the form of exhisting players.

Never heard the expression, 'Tongue in cheek' then? Whoosh seems to be the most appropriate response, which I choose not to expand any more!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Never heard the expression, 'Tongue in cheek' then? Whoosh seems to be the most appropriate response, which I choose not to expand any more!

You may have had your tongue in your cheek - but actually (apart from Gross, as yet), it may not have been the intention, but that is what has actually happened!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Money well sent IMnotveryHO :O

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

handbags.jpg

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here