Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
EF5E31F0-22B8-4C86-899D-D77BECA5F2B8.jpeg

And the winner is....

Great fun today. [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] smashed it coming first in his age group. Loving the triathlon challenge and going to use this year as an experience and use the winter to learn how to swim properly. Now going to focus on beating my 5k pb before the year is out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
View attachment 99453

And the winner is....

Great fun today. [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] smashed it coming first in his age group. Loving the triathlon challenge and going to use this year as an experience and use the winter to learn how to swim properly. Now going to focus on beating my 5k pb before the year is out.

and in those sandals?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
View attachment 99453

And the winner is....

Fantastic. Now **** off to a new ‘NSC Official Triathlon Thread’ and leave us non-swimmers alone

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
And the winner is....

There were more people there for that prize giving than at Trump's Inauguration. Shame the only other 55-59 category runner wasn't in his position for second place....my long term school rival will work hard to turn it round.

Excellent Tri @PH incredible effort for Someone new to swimming. See you at Hasting's in November for a full out 5k effort, unless we're all winter training in Australia of course.

Still waiting the 5k results.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
There were more people there for that prize giving than at Trump's Inauguration. Shame the only other 55-59 category runner wasn't in his position for second place....my long term school rival will work hard to turn it round.

Excellent Tri @PH incredible effort for Someone new to swimming. See you at Hasting's in November for a full out 5k effort, unless we're all winter training in Australia of course.

Still waiting the 5k results.

Brilliant - well done! You can only beat what’s put in front of you!!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
[MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] :bowdown:

Amazing - a real Captain's performance, incredible.

The workrate from [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] right now is unbelievable as well - you gents are really raising the bar and bringing the challenge. My own stop/start training is still short of what I'm striving for, seeing ANOTHER 18:50 from [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION] yesterday around Hove Park is a kick up the backside to get myself into gear and it's time to start competing again.

Bournemouth's marathon is my target and it's time to get serious about improving my time in the league table.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
View attachment 99453

And the winner is....

Well done, you two. Great effort.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done, you two. Great effort.

Cheers I'm just going to put up the splits for GNT, analyse the 5k and then shut up.

Want to hear about your prep and day though so a few tips to post on the running thread. The swim and bike training are cross training to improve overall fitness and avoid running injury. The running speaks for itself. As to the big race day I reckon we should hire a minibus and all come along to watch.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Cheers I'm just going to put up the splits for GNT, analyse the 5k and then shut up.

Want to hear about your prep and day though so a few tips to post on the running thread. The swim and bike training are cross training to improve overall fitness and avoid running injury. The running speaks for itself. As to the big race day I reckon we should hire a minibus and all come along to watch.

Got a horrible feeling you'll be unstoppable in 5k henceforth (unless you run in those sandals). I see a trophy-hunter under construction. Well done!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Got a horrible feeling you'll be unstoppable in 5k henceforth (unless you run in those sandals). I see a trophy-hunter under construction. Well done!

750m swim with 100m run uphill 0:17:43 (t1) 0:01:04. (12 miles Bike) 0:42:07 (T2) 00:48.30 5K run 0:23:04 Finish time 1:24:48.05

The three of us were all close to each other. The BIG rival was out of the swim 2" behind me but had caught me on the bike within 5 miles. He set off on the run a few minutes up and Chasing him down helped a 23:04 5K on a 2 lap course that had a total of 4 steep short climbs. Very happy to have pipped [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] on the 5K time by 11 seconds.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
750m swim with 100m run uphill 0:17:43 (t1) 0:01:04. (12 miles Bike) 0:42:07 (T2) 00:48.30 5K run 0:23:04 Finish time 1:24:48.05

The three of us were all close to each other. The BIG rival was out of the swim 2" behind me but had caught me on the bike within 5 miles. He set off on the run a few minutes up and Chasing him down helped a 23:04 5K on a 2 lap course that had a total of 4 steep short climbs. Very happy to have pipped [MENTION=23419]penny's harmonica[/MENTION] on the 5K time by 11 seconds.

Great effort from all of our triathlete’s this weekend.

Is anyone or has anyone run the Henfield half marathon before? Considering it this weekend as you can enter on the day and it’s £12. Weather is due to cool so would be good prep for Barns Green at the end of September.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Is anyone or has anyone run the Henfield half marathon before? Considering it this weekend as you can enter on the day and it’s £12. Weather is due to cool so would be good prep for Barns Green at the end of September.

Excellent stats for [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION].

I've done the Henfield half but it was a few years back and in the days when you had to climb over stiles. I'm not sure whether that's still the case but (having rather short legs) they certainly buggered up my time. But if they are still there, you could probably hurdle them. I do recall that it was pretty flat as it follows the river bank for quite a bit.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Sounds like a tough course. Your race report inspired me to dig out my duathlon results from 2 years ago (I was a young guy of 61). This was down in Southsea where they run (and bike) a series of 3 in the Spring, each of different length. It is a flat course but there is traffic (and pedestrians) and the usual sea-side winds. You'd love it, although your swim result looks pretty good to me so I suspect you're now hooked on tris.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Sounds like a tough course. Your race report inspired me to dig out my duathlon results from 2 years ago (I was a young guy of 61). This was down in Southsea where they run (and bike) a series of 3 in the Spring, each of different length. It is a flat course but there is traffic (and pedestrians) and the usual sea-side winds. You'd love it, although your swim result looks pretty good to me so I suspect you're now hooked on tris.

We have just returned from Tri retirement after battling each other at 3-4 a year from 2004 - 2011. We wore each other out finally at Windsor Standard. I beat him 2009. He won 2010 and retired. I had to do 2011 just to beat his winning time before retiring. Age took it's toll yesterday and we could only manage 4 pints yesterday lunchtime before falling asleep. Glad we're back on it and next year we enter your age group.

Windsor Standard is planned next year June 16th. Now for the sub 20 5K training!

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
We have just returned from Tri retirement after battling each other at 3-4 a year from 2004 - 2011. We wore each other out finally at Windsor Standard. I beat him 2009. He won 2010 and retired. I had to do 2011 just to beat his winning time before retiring. Age took it's toll yesterday and we could only manage 4 pints yesterday lunchtime before falling asleep. Glad we're back on it and next year we enter your age group.

Windsor Standard is planned next year June 16th. Now for the sub 20 5K training!

4 pints?!? You even beat me at that I only managed 2

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Like GnT, I ran it YEARS ago and can't really remember much about it. There was quite a bit of trail running, I think...

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
View attachment 99453

And the winner is....

Congratulations.

(Although with just you in the photo it does look like you just sneaked on to the podium when no one was looking!) [emoji16]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Yes a few times - nice friendly race, course is OK (especially as it'll be bone dry) and I think all the gates and stiles are open these days

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
Whilst away at the weekend completed my third tourist PR in a row @ Doncaster in a pleasing 22.09, still improving but over a minute of my PB.

Gonna focus on getting some distance in my legs ready for Reigate half in September but will target PR again towards the end of the year to see if I can beat my elusive 21 minute barrier.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Congratulations.

(Although with just you in the photo it does look like you just sneaked on to the podium when no one was looking!) [emoji16]

You didn't look under that running hat close enough!

Was it you who lost your mojo in the winter? You've certainly found it again. Good luck in your quest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here