Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leaving early

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
You obviously dont have a family and dont have plans for Saturday evening

Strange how all these people with families and plans for the Saturday evening’s need to leave a bit early coincided exactly with Leicester scoring on 83 minutes. It’s pathetic, it really is. I get it if it’s 3-0, but it was 1-0 FFS and we’d been the better side for most of the game! I don’t see why the players should be expected to fight to the very last minute if the fans give up and leave when they go a goal down with more than ten minutes left to play.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Non-football fans who populate every stadium up and down the country. You're wrong if you think we're an exception or that this is exclusively our problem.

Game has changed, dedicated fans who wear their hearts on their sleeves have been priced out.

Deny it all you like, I've seen it happen with my own eyes in my (relatively) short time following the club home and away since the 90's.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I may be old fashioned but I would organise things around the game. What real difference does 10 minutes make? If it's that crucial you wouldn't chance it and attend would you? It was embarassing the amount of people who got up, put their coats on and scuttled off when Leicester went 1-0 up. Seriously - it was embarassing.

It can make the difference of an hour in getting home time, for what it's worth. One of our party left on 89 minutes from the NS today using the Mill Road Park'n'Ride and they got home exactly an hour earlier, than the others who staaying to end also using Mill Road.

SUA Seagull

Jul 23, 2016
Stratford-upon-Avon
I’m in the WSL, Block I. When Leicester scored on 83 minutes there was an Amexodus on a scale I’d never witnessed before in that block, with one chap in the WSU shelf behind me getting very worked up and screaming “sit down - the team needs your support more than ever now”. I understand and appreciate that many people have their reasons for leaving early but today went far beyond that IMHO and seemed directly linked to us conceding, reflecting more of a defeatist exit rather than pursuing early travel needs. I often wonder what the players think when they see their own fans leaving in droves; they’re only human after all and it can’t do much for their morale. Of course, we are all “customers” free to choose what we want to do but it would be uplifting for the club if [most] people could try and stay to the end to cheer the team at the final whistle.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Strange how all these people with families and plans for the Saturday evening’s need to leave a bit early coincided exactly with Leicester scoring on 83 minutes. It’s pathetic, it really is. I get it if it’s 3-0, but it was 1-0 FFS and we’d been the better side for most of the game! I don’t see why the players should be expected to fight to the very last minute if the fans give up and leave when they go a goal down with more than ten minutes left to play.

The hoardes of early leavers also got slagged off for leaving early in our home wins (other than Arsenal) this season. So the disloyal bad loser theory doesn't hold weight.

You may disagree but I think it's simply that half the supporters these days take an opportunity for the chunky trip out of their day to see a football game, be reduced by an hour door-to-door. Plus people hate queuing for long periods.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's struck me watching people leaving today that maybe they'd stay if we were a team who had a track record of scoring late goals and snatching late draws / wins. But when was the last time we actually did this? None I can immediately recall.

If people thought there was a chance the team would turn it around at the end maybe more would stay, but TBH when Leicester took the lead I knew there was little to no chance of Brighton actually taking anything from the game. We just don't seem to have the legs or the heart to snatch late results.

Can anyone remember the last time we took something out of a game from being behind / won a game late on (i.e. 88 minutes plus, which normally seems to be the cut-off round my way)?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I don’t see why the players should be expected to fight to the very last minute if the fans give up and leave when they go a goal down with more than ten minutes left to play.

1. The players get paid thousands to play till the final whistle, unless they leave early on the account of Chris Houghton subbing them.
2. The fans pay hundreds to watch these clowns play, they can leave when they like.
No comparison :thumbsup:

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
As I've said before early leavers have an excuse for going early although when you are only losing 1-0 yes it's strange but
for me it's those who go and get a pint etc at 39 and return at 52 that I have a problem with.

Renegade1

Mar 7, 2018
The Amex is out there on its own like an island.A pig to get to and from.Falmer station is a tiny provincial station trying to cater for thousands of commuters
with no facilities and no cover for queuing in the cold and rain.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's struck me watching people leaving today that maybe they'd stay if we were a team who had a track record of scoring late goals and snatching late draws / wins. But when was the last time we actually did this? None I can immediately recall.

If people thought there was a chance the team would turn it around at the end maybe more would stay, but TBH when Leicester took the lead I knew there was little to no chance of Brighton actually taking anything from the game. We just don't seem to have the legs or the heart to snatch late results.

Can anyone remember the last time we took something out of a game from being behind / won a game late on (i.e. 88 minutes plus, which normally seems to be the cut-off round my way)?

I agree. Our players have given their all physically and mentally come the latter stages of PL games against on-paper superior athletes and players. Leaving them dead on their feet.

With another transfer window coming up with PL money (touch wood), hopefully our squad will improve still further, giving us a cutting edge right to final whistle?

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The Amex is out there on its own like an island.A pig to get to and from.Falmer station is a tiny provincial station trying to cater for thousands of commuters
with no facilities and no cover for queuing in the cold and rain.

Which is why attendance will tumble if we ever return to league one or below.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here