Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Overrated films?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Withnail and I.

Despite several viewings, all the way through, thinking I may have missed something on previous viewings because many seem to rave about it for no obvious reason, I always come to the same conclusion: What Gives? :shrug:

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
big deal at the time. applies to many films (and music) that years later we dont quite appreciate them, because they are so familiar and lead to so many derivatives.

Agreed. But I watched it at the time.

It wasn't a bad film. I guess I was expecting more because of the hype.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Braveheart, a friend told me it was brilliant, blah, blah, blah, historically factual, blah, blah, blah ..... massive pile of BS

bit off at a tangent, but never seen Richard Gere in a good film tbh

Anyone who thinks Braveheart is historically factual clearly knows very little about history!

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Withnail and I.

Despite several viewings, all the way through, thinking I may have missed something on previous viewings because many seem to rave about it for no obvious reason, I always come to the same conclusion: What Gives? :shrug:

But it's hilarious!!!!!!!!! Must admit I used to KNOW people like that though

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
The majority of films that get a cinema release are no more than revenue vehicles, the original idea very much stripped down, or just not very good. If you trawled through the last couple of decades, of the thousands of films released I doubt most people would pick out more than twenty or so they'd actually rate or remember.

Being a revenue generator is not necessarily a bad thing, after all the studios are a business. Without these there would be no money available to invest in the non-revenue generating productions. The fact that they are revenue generators also means that a lot of people like the product. There is far too much snobbery about films, you like what you like and don't like what you don't like and it's not for others to sneer about.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
The usual suspects.
6th sense.
China town.
Bullit.
Get out.
It follows.
Dunkirk.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Four weddings and a funeral - A film with one joke and lots of swearing
Groundhog Day - A good example as to why American 'humour' just doesn't travel
The entire Harry Potter series - Just about managed to watch the first 30 minutes of the first one, not for me
Inception - A film trying to be too clever, just didn't understand what was going on
American Beauty - Why this film was elevated to 'brilliant' is beyond me

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There's something about Mary (Diaz is a very average actor. This was all hype).

Four weddings and funeral (An OK film, that's all, but the British media and sheep exaggerated it's worth).

Sleepless in Seattle (Boring. All hype).

Independence Day (At the time rated one of the greatest movies in history by many. Within a couple of years, long forgotten).

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The Dark Knight.
Though Heath Ledger's performance in it is even more overrated.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Blairwitch project. remember people raving about it, went to see it and couldn't get past the fact it just looked like a rubbish home video!

Not sure whether, at the time, it was clever marketing to say people were running out the cinema screaming, or whether those people actually DID find it that scary! I only saw it about 2 years ago for the first time, on a TV in a lit room, which didn't help the atmos that would induce fear. It was OK, but I was a bit disappointed.

When I first saw it at the cinema I did really enjoy it. Never seen it since or on a small screen, and people did boo in the cinema, but I thought it was great at the time, minimal, clever, built a lot of tension. Be interested to know what [MENTION=2647]gripper stebson[/MENTION] 's take on it.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Withnail and I.

Were you sober? I must have seen it 25 times at least, brilliant film, never seen it without being considerably off my face though.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've just been reading through some of my favourite films being listed, and realised I'm in danger of Reply With Quote to everyone!!! :moo:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here