Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Conor Goldson take a bow

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
I dont blame Goldson for wanting to leave for 1st team footy , he clearly wasn't going to get it at the Albion , I like some others do think that Duffy has dropped a lot in form and could easily have been replaced by Goldson and done a better job at the tail end of last season and yesterday.
Its good for him , probably not so good for us but he had to do what's right for him , now fingers crossed Duffy gets his form back or gets dropped for us

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Goldson is a better player than Duffy and will go on to be. Gutted he went. Think Duffy is going to have a hard season. Also think Goldson went cheaply and we should have looked to keep him rather than allow him to go for more games. He should be getting them here after Duffy got dropped.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
I dont blame Goldson for wanting to leave for 1st team footy , he clearly wasn't going to get it at the Albion , I like some others do think that Duffy has dropped a lot in form and could easily have been replaced by Goldson and done a better job at the tail end of last season and yesterday.
Its good for him , probably not so good for us but he had to do what's right for him , now fingers crossed Duffy gets his form back or gets dropped for us

Goldson is better than Burn too. Surely? SURELY??

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Criminally undersold.

It'll be interesting to see how Conor plays versus Celtic.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Goldson is a better player than Duffy and will go on to be. Gutted he went. Think Duffy is going to have a hard season. Also think Goldson went cheaply and we should have looked to keep him rather than allow him to go for more games. He should be getting them here after Duffy got dropped.

Balogun will be a regular starter IMO sooner or later. No a slight on Duffy, but Balogun has different CB attributes.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Is the Scottish Premiership on as good a level as the Championship? If so we all know Connor excels at that level it does not mean we have sold a world beater...imo.

Maybe not a world beater, but rangers selling to a premier league club like Southampton at a massive profit is entirely possible

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
IMHO yes he has the potential to be better than Burn and Duffy , problem is that takes game time which he was not getting , for me Duffy has reached his peak , Goldson has further he can climb , Burn I have not seen enough off to compare

Duffy is only a year older and still young for CB. He undoubtedly has something to offer- he can just be infuriatingly clumsy and lax at times. When he is good he is immense.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
A player is only worth what another team will pay for him.
Goldson wanted regular first team football,and, as far as we know, Rangers were the only team that came in for him, if there had been more, there would have been a bidding war, there wasn’t. So, we got the most we could have got for him, we don’t know if there are any clauses,or, what they are, as the club keep these things on a need to know basis,but, I don’t think we should throw our collective toys out of the pram without knowing the facts.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
Duffy is only a year older and still young for CB. He undoubtedly has something to offer- he can just be infuriatingly clumsy and lax at times. When he is good he is immense.

could be just me ... season on season Dunk shows improvement ... I haven't seen the same in Duffy but as I say might be me missing something ... noticed he attacks forward balls and ends up missing it and running past them and then out of the game quite a bit recently .. maybe I have blinkers on , just my opinion :albion2:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If Goldson was a better player than Duffy, then Goldson would’ve got more than just the one league game that Duffy was suspended for or the time that we tried 5 at the back. We are managed an ex international defender that worked with him 6 days a week for 3 years and can spot a player.

I do think however that Goldson will be a great success at Rangers, but let’s not equate this to him being Virgil Van Dyke.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If Goldson was a better player than Duffy, then Goldson would’ve got more than just the one league game that Duffy was suspended for or the time that we tried 5 at the back. We are managed an ex international defender that worked with him 6 days a week for 3 years and can spot a player.

I do think however that Goldson will be a great success at Rangers, but let’s not equate this to him being Virgil Van Dyke.

I’ve been told by someone connected to Duffy , that his loss of form last October/ November was related to him having personal problems, these have been sorted out to some extent.
His loss of form towards the end of last season were surely down to the groin injury he was carrying, that was operated on over the Summer, and which has affected his pre- season, and indeed his form yesterday. I hope he is going to be allowed the time to achieve the very high standards he achieved last season.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I’ve been told by someone connected to Duffy , that his loss of form last October/ November was related to him having personal problems, these have been sorted out to some extent.
His loss of form towards the end of last season were surely down to the groin injury he was carrying, that was operated on over the Summer, and which has affected his pre- season, and indeed his form yesterday. I hope he is going to be allowed the time to achieve the very high standards he achieved last season.

Interesting if this is true then that CH still chose Duffy ahead of Goldson during these periods.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
I am by no means anti-Duffy ... just appears that he has had a loss of form , has lapses in concentration and just doesnt look like his mind is in the game ... hopefully he will recover the form of early last season and be the rock he used to be ... if he has had personal problems then that may account for some of it but he needs to improve or should be replaced as points lost cant be regained once they are gone and everyone is important

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Never about Chris's judgement really. CG's situation was pretty unique. Major heart surgery, recovery and then a desperate desire to play - which the Albion could not give him. Also happened to be wanted by one of the biggest clubs in Britain (irrespective of the League) and managed by, and wanted by, a bona-fide playing legend. I know there's no room for sentiment in the football business but in this case a bit of it snuck in. Sure the club will have optioned a buy-back too.

THIS

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Yeah, its not great..... but our transfer business revolves around buying standout players from lesser leagues or lesser teams in the bigger leagues.... someone like Goldson, had he not been ours, would have certainly been on the radar of our recruitment team right now. We have spent all summer pursuing defenders from the championship after all.

None of which of course changes the fact that he would be third choice for us, and wants to play... I still think that, while Duffy was probably a better option in the championship, Goldson would do better in the prem

If Goldson was better than Duffy then I don't think Goldson would be playing for rangers now, I like Goldson but sometimes a club has to make decisions on players.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Criminally undersold.

It'll be interesting to see how Conor plays versus Celtic.

Not if, as has been rumoured (as is likely) there are sell on and buy back clauses. Much better to have him playing every week as Rangers' captain than languishing in our reserves, as was his destiny.

Incidentally, the suggestions on here that CH picked an under-par Duffy in preference to a fit Goldstone seems a bit not dissimilar to his not picking a fit Baldock despite our inability to buy a win (till the ManU game) at the end of last season. Would it be unreasonable to suggest that CH has fairly implacable resolve when he's made up his mind? *cough* stubborn *cough*? Or am I being unfair?

I suppose when he puts out the same side against ManU that lost yesterday some bright spark will bounce this with a 'no shit Sherlock' jibe. If so, fairy nuff.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here