Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton need returns from big buys

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
They're human beings, could be a whole year, might not happen, could happen today. How long have you been watching football to have seen a multitude of transfer success and disasters? Transfers and signings are a dark art, you get a load of success like we've had the past 3 seasons, and now we have a bit of a struggle.

The conversation would have been to a trusted 35 experienced pro at HT last week:
Are you okay Glenn?
Yes boss.
Will the knock effect you?
No boss.
You're absolutely fine to start the 2nd half?
Yes boss.

End of chat. You don't take your top scorer off at HT 1-0 with the other side down to 10. We simply didn't play well enough, and the 10 played out of their skins, it happens. I remember us down to 9 against Burnley after 20 mins and would have won had CMS not put his boots on the wrong feet...

You do take your striker off when he is clearly struggling and you have 2 other strikers keen to make an impact. How must Andone and Locadia feel ?, well we know about Locadia but to see their manager prefers to keep an injured 35 year old on rather than give them a decent chance must be thoroughly demotivating

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You do take your striker off when he is clearly struggling and you have 2 other strikers keen to make an impact. How must Andone and Locadia feel ?, well we know about Locadia but to see their manager prefers to keep an injured 35 year old on rather than give them a decent chance must be thoroughly demotivating

He wasn’t injured. Think this is something people have perceived rather than was evident.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
He wasn’t injured. Think this is something people have perceived rather than was evident.

You will never convince me of that and even if not, he was struggling and Andone, Locadia or both should have come on at 60 minutes at the latest. Hughton is just too cautious

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Bissouma has had a run in the the team. He got a start at Liverpool in place of Gross, he started consecutive games against Southampton, Spurs and Man City, then came on for decent sub appearances after that. I have no idea where this idea comes that some of these signings have not had a fair chance?

Montoya had 5 consecutive starts too. Lucadia has consistently featured. Andone was injured at the start of the season, and slowly seems to be getting time, but Murray has been exceptional.

Bernardo now also getting back into the side.

Hughton is relying on whoever he thinks is his best starting XI to win a game of football. I don't think there is any hidden loyalty, agenda or anything else. Whomever he thinks is most in form and likely to have the biggest impact he is playing.

When did i say they hadnt had a fair chance? I stand by the opinion that at this stage of the season we could expect at least one of our signings to have claimed an automatic place in the starting eleven and the fact is all of them have been bit part players and imo if everyone in the squad was fit and available no one signed after summer 2017 would be in the first 11

Glawstergull

May 21, 2004
GLAWSTERSHIRE
I cannot recall any game EVER that I have seen Hughton display a change in tactics during a game. He has no plan B period. I do not believe that we can make a “step up” with this mind set. That takes nothing away from what he has achieved and I thank him for it.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I'm fairly certain that Davy Pröpper would not have got a look in last year had Kayal not had his unfortunate leg break.
We just don't change things quickly

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
But we don't seem to have acquired anyone spectacularly better than we already had. Just a lot of squad players for (what is still to us, but not in terms of Premierthinghy prices), a lot of money. None of the recent signings have set the world alight, which begs contining questions about the success or otherwise of our current recruitment set up. It might be better than before, but is still to prove itself with results.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'm fairly certain that Davy Pröpper would not have got a look in last year had Kayal not had his unfortunate leg break.
We just don't change things quickly
Fair point. When Propper arrived we didn't have much choice other than to play him, but he's established himself well and truly as a first teamer now.

Going back a bit further though, we bought Duffy when many of us didn't think we needed him because Dunk and Goldson was a good CB pairing - but in came Duffy, ousted Goldson straightaway and made the place his own. None of this year's signings have managed that.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
When did i say they hadnt had a fair chance? I stand by the opinion that at this stage of the season we could expect at least one of our signings to have claimed an automatic place in the starting eleven and the fact is all of them have been bit part players and imo if everyone in the squad was fit and available no one signed after summer 2017 would be in the first 11

Sorry, I partly agreed with you, I was just making a general point rather than specific to you.:thumbsup:

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
But we don't seem to have acquired anyone spectacularly better than we already had. Just a lot of squad players for (what is still to us, but not in terms of Premierthinghy prices), a lot of money. None of the recent signings have set the world alight, which begs contining questions about the success or otherwise of our current recruitment set up. It might be better than before, but is still to prove itself with results.

Nailed

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Andone, Bissouma and Bernardo all showed against Huddersfield that they can do a job if given the chance.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Andone just has started his payback (but is he a big buy?)

I thought Bissouma had a great game too. Involved in most things (good and bad). I thi k he's arrived properly today.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
The payback has definitely started [emoji7][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Andone, Bissouma and Bernardo all showed against Huddersfield that they can do a job if given the chance.

Hughton showing that he has no hidden agendas, no misplaced loyalties, he will pick the team he thinks will get the job done. He’ll make mistakes, but like today he’ll also get it right.

Huddersfield were massively up for it today, threw the kitchen sink at us and we scored 2 well crafted away goals and despite going behind had our trademark resilience.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hughton showing that he has no hidden agendas, no misplaced loyalties, he will pick the team he thinks will get the job done. He’ll make mistakes, but like today he’ll also get it right.

Huddersfield were massively up for it today, threw the kitchen sink at us and we scored 2 well crafted away goals and despite going behind had our trademark resilience.

:thumbsup:

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
The payback has definitely started [emoji7][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was always going to take time. I think by the end of the season we will have Jak and Jorg there too. Tough ask coming into such a physical league and being expected to step up immediately.

Well pleased with how we are looking at the moment....

TNBA

TTF

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Spot on.....and as for the article that prompted this thread, Bissouma started, Bernardo started, Andone started and scored the winner.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here