Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cerys Mathews

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Doesn't have play some shite on the wireless.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Brilliant, eclectic mix of music. Opens your ears to music you wouldn't otherwise hear.

Don't like it, don't listen. Each to their own.

PG

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Doesn't have play some shite on the wireless.

I don't like everything she plays, but would rather listen to a radio show that challenges and surprises than one that regurgitates all the same stuff I have in my record collection. As well as playing some stuff I'd only want to hear once, 6 Music has introduced me to some great new artists and some old ones that had passed me by. I'm currently mopping up the back catalogue of Jenny Lewis thanks to 6 Music playing this corker some time back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcWtFbh0PLU

Cerys has just played Tony Joe White, who's responsible for great things like this: Who else is going to do that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYbWAwj3Krc

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Brilliant, eclectic mix of music. Opens your ears to music you wouldn't otherwise hear.

Don't like it, don't listen. Each to their own.

PG
I bet she doesn't even like it, and is just pretending to be 'different'.
She probably has One Direction in her car tape deck.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
You should try some Dandelion Radio- they played this cover earlier.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Goals on Sunday on the TV, sound down and a bit of world wide Cerys on a Sunday. Getting the dinner on.

giphy.jpg

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Cerys is gorgeous. What is wrong with you lot ?

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I don't like everything she plays, but would rather listen to a radio show that challenges and surprises than one that regurgitates all the same stuff I have in my record collection. As well as playing some stuff I'd only want to hear once, 6 Music has introduced me to some great new artists and some old ones that had passed me by. I'm currently mopping up the back catalogue of Jenny Lewis thanks to 6 Music playing this corker some time back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcWtFbh0PLU

Cerys has just played Tony Joe White, who's responsible for great things like this: Who else is going to do that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYbWAwj3Krc

Don't forget Rilo Kiley. Fantastic band Jenny Lewis fronted.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And to think some enlightened people used to say the same about John Peel.

I was just thinking exactly the same but in fairness he also played some absolute shite in his quest for something different.

Used to listen to his late night show on Radio One religiously and it was a way to discover some gems

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I was just thinking exactly the same but in fairness he also played some absolute shite in his quest for something different

To be even fairer, Peel was just about the only national broadcaster of his time to air genuine indie stuff, allowing us to make up our own minds whether stuff was shite or non-shite.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
To be even fairer, Peel was just about the only national broadcaster of his time to air genuine indie stuff, allowing us to make up our own minds whether stuff was shite or non-shite.

True when I lived abroad in the early Seventies I used to get friends to tape a few shows and send them to me as Spanish Radio was absolute crap at the time

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Cerys is an excellent presenter and it's one of my favourite shows on the radio. But I'm guessing that your radio /phone etc. has some sort of an off switch if you don't want to listen

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I don't think that's strictly true. On a weekday night most DJs on Radio 1 were playing indie music. There was Steve Lamacq, Andy Kershaw, Janice Long and Radcliffe/Riley all playing whatever they wanted. Whispering Bob Harris also and on a Sunday evening was Brighton's own Annie Nightingale.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think that's strictly true. On a weekday night most DJs on Radio 1 were playing indie music. There was Steve Lamacq, Andy Kershaw, Janice Long and Radcliffe/Riley all playing whatever they wanted. Whispering Bob Harris also and on a Sunday evening was Brighton's own Annie Nightingale.

I think THPP was probably talking pre-Andy Kershaw and co, more in the latter years of Caroline/London and early Radio One. Possibly even pre Annie Nightingale and Whispering Bob on Whistle Test. There was a time when Peel seemed to be the only one playing different stuff to Prog Rock and Pop

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here